Register

Any Logitech G13 users

Pimp your interface.
Honored

Any Logitech G13 users

Postby Grenache » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:24 pm

Hey guys, I am trying to improve my play and am wondering if any of you ferals use a G13 for your dps? I use one for my resto spec but hesitate with dps because of all the complexity. Would anyone be willing to share their setup?

Revered

Re: Any Logitech G13 users

Postby Qbear » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:43 pm

I tried using the razor version of this for dps for awhile.

I'm sure if I would of put more time into it I could of done well; however, the transition from keyboard to game pad just felt to awkward. Maybe if I was 6'8'' with giant hands; however, with the razor naga and a few keys spaced around wasd I just never felt the need for that many buttons on such a large scale.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:50 pm

I have the G13, got it for ~$32 when I saw somewhere liquidating and had em...honestly I don't care for it. It's just too big for my smallish hands, everything is just slightly uncomfortable and out of reach, unless I ignore the whole back row (which kinda defeats the purpose). I dislike how it lays so flat as well, I mean the ability to have who's talking on vent up on the screen and view stats is nice, but just ergonomically, it's bleh. Just wish I had bigger hands...as for setup, mind you this was before I learned macros to play with a game controller, but I just had all the basic attacks lined up in a basic semblance of the rotation itself, so 1 would be mangle, 2 SR, (then the up arrow), 3 would be rake, 4 rip, etc etc. Honestly, the whole point is to set it up to your feel and how you would be most comfortable using it I would think instead of copying someone else's setup and hoping it magically gives you more dps, as part of learning a gamepad is memorizing what keys are which and stuff.

Anyways, the Belkin (or more recently due to several buyouts, Razer) Nostromo N52 is better imo for smaller-midsize hands; offers a few less keys and not as many fancy options, but it fits like a glove, as well as having an adjustable palm rest, my small little hands can hit all the keys without any problems. I also have the original mind you, which is harder and has more heft (which I like, since the TE and Razer versions feel like cheap plastic) and grooved keys instead of flat (probably more of a personal opinion, but I prefer keys that actually feel like keys instead of the flat style). Granted it lacks all the extra fancy lighting, branding, and screw on thumbstick for the d-pad, but I still wouldn't trade it if someone offered a newer one (not to mention that used it's cheaper on ebay).

So in a way, I liken the G13 to the steelseries mouse; fine for big handed users, but kinda rough on anyone else. Whereas stuff like the Naga and Belkin fit nicely for your "common" person.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 pm

I seem to have some strafing and yellow-attack-whilst-moving issues, so I saw the G13 joystick as my salvation. I might go have another look at Konungr's keybinds as too many of my regularly used keys are out of reach of my WASD area. I operate using a basic 3 button mouse, so you've both given me some ideas to add binds to the mouse side to help out. Thanks.

Keep the G13 talk coming though, as I could easily be convinced. I have big hands :)

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:46 am

Well if you have big hands, by all means use it, I'd love it as well if my hands were bigger >.>

I dunno how your mouse is bound, but just by default you can hold down right mouse button and just simply strafe with the "wasd" area on the G13, then using a free index, middle, or ring finger (depending on what you have bound for your attacks and what direction you're strafing) to attack, or you can even use the little joystick while holding down right mouse, which frees up your 4 fingers to hit whatever.

But again with binding, I just see that as more of a personal issue, as I really don't see the benefit of copying someone else's keybindings when you can make your own custom set and learn from there, then branch out from basic to advanced. Just in general, always have your main buttons you'll want to be hitting close by; main attacks featured on the rotation, modifiers for them if you use them, etc. Then from there, branch out into the situational use (like Barkskin, Tranquility, maybe Berserk etc), then rarely used fields (maybe a shift macro, or opening your bags if you need to dig for an item).

So like for me, I stick everything I actively use (ie, attacking abilities) on G2, 3, 5, 6 on the top row, G9 and 13 on the 2nd, and some of the 3rd row, as those are all buttons I can easily hit with my small hands. G1, 7, 8, 14, and the 3 last buttons of the bottom row are all ones I can't hit as easily without having to look at the darn thing, so those go to abilities I don't use much. Then near the joystick for those 2 buttons (which are nicely in thumb reach), I have the left one usually for tab targeting, then the bottom right one for more advanced targeting features, like tab targeting, or more recently I'm considering making it a modifier button like Alt or Shift since it's in thumb's reach as well.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:38 am

Shin, your hands must be bigger than mine because it is a bit of a stretch for me to hit the first row (G1-G7) for primary attacks. From memory, I use:

G1: Escape / Cancel
G2: BRez
G3: Berserk
G4: Skull Bash
G5: Innervate (mainly for resto spec)
G6: Ground Mount
G7: Flying Mount

The second row G8 - G14 is the main row I use for attacks as three of my four fingers sit directly over the keys in this row.

G8: Dash / Stampeding Macro
G9: Vent push to talk
G10: Rake
G11: Rip
G12: Shred
G13: TF
G14: Faerie Fire

The third row starts to get awkward.

G15: Barkskin
G16: My little finger sits on this key permanently. Mangle.
G17: Swipe (awkward)
G18: Ferocious Bite
G19: ?
G20: Feral Charge
G21: Ravage

Final Row:

G22: Too awkward to use
G23: Too awkward to use
G24: Jump (awkward)

Joystick Left button: Savage Roar
Joystick Right button: Tranquility

I seem to be a couple of buttons short of what I want.
i.e Need a button for Tab targetting, a more convenient Swipe button, a Potion button, a Survival Instincts button, a Healthstone button, a Cower button.

I just bought a Logitech G500 today, and I'm hoping to use a few of the mouse buttons to act as a modifier.

I'd be curious to know what other people's mappings are.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:12 am

Grenache wrote:Shin, your hands must be bigger than mine because it is a bit of a stretch for me to hit the first row (G1-G7) for primary attacks. From memory, I use:

G1: Escape / Cancel
G2: BRez
G3: Berserk
G4: Skull Bash
G5: Innervate (mainly for resto spec)
G6: Ground Mount
G7: Flying Mount

The second row G8 - G14 is the main row I use for attacks as three of my four fingers sit directly over the keys in this row.

G8: Dash / Stampeding Macro
G9: Vent push to talk
G10: Rake
G11: Rip
G12: Shred
G13: TF
G14: Faerie Fire

The third row starts to get awkward.

G15: Barkskin
G16: My little finger sits on this key permanently. Mangle.
G17: Swipe (awkward)
G18: Ferocious Bite
G19: ?
G20: Feral Charge
G21: Ravage

Final Row:

G22: Too awkward to use
G23: Too awkward to use
G24: Jump (awkward)

Joystick Left button: Savage Roar
Joystick Right button: Tranquility

I seem to be a couple of buttons short of what I want.
i.e Need a button for Tab targetting, a more convenient Swipe button, a Potion button, a Survival Instincts button, a Healthstone button, a Cower button.

I just bought a Logitech G500 today, and I'm hoping to use a few of the mouse buttons to act as a modifier.

I'd be curious to know what other people's mappings are.

Well when I say easy, I mean within a stretch; my palm rests pretty high up on it, so at the least I can move within the WASD-esq area (as I still have the 4 grooved in keys bound to movement), whereas you seem to bind everything to just attacks and presumably just use the mouse to move?

Once you start using modifiers on your mouse though, then things will free up more on your gamepad, to the point likely that you'll just ignore any awkward areas I bet since you can bind what, at least 3-4 different commands to a key then depending on how many modifiers you use. For example, FC and Ravage is one I normally macro with a modifier for use because one is contingent on using the other first, so just hit the key for FC and then modifier and the button again for ravage. Same thing with like tying Barkskin and SI together, Dash and Stampeding Roar, TF and Berserk, etc.

I'll dig up my gamepad later and edit it in with my stuff, haven't used it in a while so there's not many macros in it at all, but yeah, kinda shows how different some of these are lol.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:19 am

I use the joystick for movement as I have always had trouble strafing with wasd keys and attacking at the same time I.e Attramedes or Ragnaros type fights. So, that stick was awesome for me. Occasionally its not as precise as a mouse, but I can correct things with my mouse anyhow. I just wanted to use all fingers on attacks and keep my hand in a nice neutral position. No idea how I will do air phase Alysrazor though!!!!

Thanks for your great idea of those coupled attacks that follow each other with a modifier etc..will do.

Return to Addons / UI