Register

FeralCP WeakAura (How to not get owned by Primal Fury)

Pimp your interface.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

FeralCP WeakAura (How to not get owned by Primal Fury)

Postby aggixx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:14 pm

If you're getting annoyed with the delay on Primal Fury that patch 5.0.x was nice enough to bring us and you already use or don't mind picking up the addon WeakAuras this is something you can try out. This WeakAura is essentially a combo point tracker, but it works a little different than most combo point trackers (including the Blizzard UI).

Here's an example of what happens when you cast a Shred and that Shred crits and procs Primal Fury:

1. Combo Point is added.
  2. Shred cast is successful.
  3. Shred does damage to your target.
  4. Small amount of time passes. This time can vary from shred to shred and can be particularly irritating when it takes a long time.
  5. Combo Point is added.
  6. Primal Fury is cast.

A normal Combo Point tracker will, logically, update on steps 1 and 5. This WeakAura attempts to do it quicker and smoother by using steps 1 and 3 instead. Instead of waiting for Primal Fury to activate, it checks if your Shred crit and then shows you the combo point ahead of time.

Here's a video I made quick against a training dummy so you can hopefully get an idea of the difference between a normal CP tracker (on the top) and the WeakAura (on the bottom):
http://youtu.be/oBN5HW4PH10
Don't mind the mediocre play, was really tired when I recorded the clip :lol:

If you're interested in what addon displays what on my UI please check out this link: http://imgur.com/St2zBF6,2kLO7Vb (some of the elements are not present in the video since the screenshot is newer)

I used the "DF Statusbar 3" skin that comes with DroodFocus (which is updated, woo!) to make the combo points look like they do in the video. If you don't have DroodFocus installed it will default to something else (probably ugly). The display is imported as a group so that it can be imported all at once, but if you want to customize it you should:
  • To change the skin or color of the display: Move the Control aura out of the group (click on the small left arrow next to "Feral CP Control") and then select the whole group (click on "Feral CP") and go to the Display tab. You may move the Control aura back in the group or leave it outside after you're done.
  • To move or resize the display: I'd highly recommend moving the display auras out of the group (click the small left arrows next to each aura, 1 through 5) and then create a new dynamic group and put them in that. This should allow you to set the spacing of each combo point easier instead of having to set each one's position individually.

And here's the code to import the aura:
http://pastebin.com/H0rp7t0B

Feel free to tweak the looks and such to your liking, of course. Hopefully someone gives this a shot!

Enjoy :D

-----

Changelog:
  • Original
  • Revision 1: The internal combo point counter is now capped at 5 so that integration with Ovale works correctly (see below).
  • Revision 2: Checks that you're attacking your current target before adding Primal Fury combo points. Removed some old/redundant code.
  • Revision 3: Set load triggers so it doesn't load unless you're playing feral.
  • Revision 4 Code optimizations.
  • Revision 5 Fixed LUA error introduced in Revision 4.
Last edited by aggixx on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Honored

Re: FeralCP WeakAura (How to not get owned by Primal Fury)

Postby Etapicx » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Really great WeakAura but a bit off topic how did you configurate your Ovale to look like that? I just started to use it and i didn't get that far into the "customization" of the addon :P

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Etapicx wrote:Really great WeakAura but a bit off topic how did you configurate your Ovale to look like that? I just started to use it and i didn't get that far into the "customization" of the addon :P

Looks like he moved the predictive box just before the main box, made it small, and hid all the cooldown boxes (which is built in now). It looks pretty good. The combo buttons look great - I am definitely going to grab that. I am not sure how much that will help the Ovale script, unless Ovale incorporates the same logic (something I will suggest).

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:48 am

Leafkiller wrote:Looks like he moved the predictive box just before the main box, made it small, and hid all the cooldown boxes (which is built in now). It looks pretty good. The combo buttons look great - I am definitely going to grab that. I am not sure how much that will help the Ovale script, unless Ovale incorporates the same logic (something I will suggest).

Yep, that's what I did. I also really want to figure out how to skin ovale... that border sticks out pretty hard >.<.

My next thought after getting this how I wanted it was definitely figuring out how to hack Ovale into using it! Shouldn't be too hard, I think? :D

Edit: Alright, got it to work,
Spoiler: show
I changed line 222 in OvaleFuture.lua from
Code: Select all
local comboPoints = GetComboPoints("player")

to
local comboPoints = WA_feralCP_count or GetComboPoints("player")

and I changed line 67 in OvaleState.lua from
self.state.combo = GetComboPoints("player")

to
self.state.combo = WA_feralCP_count or GetComboPoints("player")

Now of course, I would think Ovale might want to implement the actual code inside in the addon instead of relying on the WeakAura to feed it info, but this should work if you're using the WeakAura.

Edit: Made a small update so that the counter never goes over 5, just to make sure it's not confusing Ovale. Also made it check that you're Shredding your current target (in case you're doing something dumb like a focus shred macro?) before adding the Primal Fury combo point and removed some redundant and old code.

Honored

Postby Terias » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:48 am

To skin ovale's buttons, I think any skin that reskins the default bar buttons will work.

My ovale was skinned when I reskinned my bartender (which also reskinned the default wow bars).

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:47 pm

Jeshu said,he will add this when time allows (an enhancement inside of Ovale).

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:27 pm

That's great news :D

I was surprised after working on it a little bit how the solution really wasn't very complicated. All it takes is a normal combo point bar (GetComboPoints() on UNIT_COMBO_POINTS) and then make it manually add 1 whenever a filler crits.

Postby Collie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:13 pm

You're awesome, Aggixx! The solution is surprisingly lightweight and works great; I hope it can cause Blizzard to reconsider whatever routine they're using to update CPs with. I took the liberty of adapting the module to display CPs in text rather than with visual elements... Beyond better matching my UI, I find it to be far more familiar and recognizable "on the fly" than bars or dots.

Here's the string for importing it into WeakAuras. The group, modules, and variables have all been renamed so they shouldn't overwrite or interfere with the original version. Oh, and I use the Micron55 font provided in the Ferous Media addon, so unless you have that, it might end up looking kinda wonky at first.
http://pastebin.com/ZgZ05VyJ

Thank you so much for providing this! /kittyhugs!
// Collie, US-Drenden

Postby p3lim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks for this, although, you might want to use the spellids for keys instead of values in that table, to avoid a loop in the middle of a CLEU event handler.
I rewrote it for oUF, let me know if any of you want that.

Postby p3lim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:41 pm

Here is a standalone working combopoint tracker (digits).
This one will also work with vehicles, which yours doesnt.

https://gist.github.com/3734306

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:04 pm

p3lim wrote:Thanks for this, although, you might want to use the spellids for keys instead of values in that table, to avoid a loop in the middle of a CLEU event handler.
I rewrote it for oUF, let me know if any of you want that.

Took me a second to figure out what you meant, but good suggestion. I'll add that in. Thanks for writing it as a stand-alone addon too, that's pretty cool!

Glad people like it!

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Fixed a lua error with the last version.

Postby Inori » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 am

Hi, could you list what addons exactly are you using for your UI?

Like those circle health bars? Nice font numbers?

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:03 pm

@aggixx

Can you post your Weak Aura setup for Predatory Swiftness?

Postby Gugly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 am

Hi, I was wondering if ya could tell me what add-on your using to track your dots....i love the look of it and how it functions!! Thanks

Revered

Postby Jeshu » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 pm

aggixx wrote:Here's an example of what happens when you cast a Shred and that Shred crits and procs Primal Fury:

1. Combo Point is added.
  2. Shred cast is successful.
  3. Shred does damage to your target.
  4. Small amount of time passes. This time can vary from shred to shred and can be particularly irritating when it takes a long time.
  5. Combo Point is added.
  6. Primal Fury is cast.

A normal Combo Point tracker will, logically, update on steps 1 and 5. This WeakAura attempts to do it quicker and smoother by using steps 1 and 3 instead. Instead of waiting for Primal Fury to activate, it checks if your Shred crit and then shows you the combo point ahead of time.

Just so I understand what's happening, in the sequence that you outlined above, can you actually use the extra combo point during step 4? UNIT_COMBO_POINTS fires at steps 1 and 5, but is that extra combo point usable by a finisher in step 4 before UNIT_COMBO_POINTS fires in step 5?

Exalted

Postby raffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Jeshu wrote:Just so I understand what's happening, in the sequence that you outlined above, can you actually use the extra combo point during step 4? UNIT_COMBO_POINTS fires at steps 1 and 5, but is that extra combo point usable by a finisher in step 4 before UNIT_COMBO_POINTS fires in step 5?

You'd be in cat GCD so as long as latency < 1s, preventing it from showing the first suggestion (before UNIT_COMBO_POINTS fires) would be pretty cool.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:38 pm

What raffy said is correct. You cannot use the combo point from Primal Fury until UNIT_COMBO_POINTS is triggered, but UNIT_COMBO_POINTS is always triggered before the GCD ends which means that for all intents and purposes you can assume its presence as soon as the filler crits.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Probably the most frustrating bug of the expansion for me. THANK YOU!

Twitch - Now with dachshund cam!

Postby Keeyra » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:50 am

Unfortunately, I suck very much at editing lua scripts.
Can someone help me to port this Feral version to a Monk Chi version, incorporating Power Strikes and Ascencion talents?
Very much appreciated!

Postby Xube » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 pm

I use masque to skin my ovale.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Keeyra wrote:Unfortunately, I suck very much at editing lua scripts.
Can someone help me to port this Feral version to a Monk Chi version, incorporating Power Strikes and Ascencion talents?
Very much appreciated!

Just responded to PM on this, result is here:

aggixx wrote: http://pastebin.com/ME2Q0uMe

Unfortunately it's pretty complicated to have the width of each chi bar expand based on whether or not you have Ascension.

It's not really any different, or even better coded, then any other chi bar out there so there's no reason to use it for a monk unless you're dead set on using a WeakAura for it.

---

Glad people have been enjoying the WeakAura! I was pretty happy when I got it working of course so I'm glad other people have enjoyed it as well. I might upload a better quality demonstration video a little bit later when I get the chance but otherwise it's still working fine so there's nothing to really change about it. Oh, and I apologize for any slow responses in this thread, I generally only peruse the Kitty DPS forums and sometimes the Strat forums so sometimes reponses slip by me, if you've got an important question and I don't answer it in a timely manner you can always try to PM me.

Postby Spanja » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:16 pm

Hello aggixx,

I'ld like to ask you if you could post your weak aura & drood focus UI in order to get the same UI as the one in the YT video :P
Thanks lot, and great work on your WA combo tracker !

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:41 am

I'll refrain from posting a config file as that's something that gets outdated rather easily, but the DroodFocus setup is rather straightforward: just a energy bar and a single icon bar consisting of Rip, Rake, Savage Roar, and Weakened Armor.

Here's the export for the proc/CD WeakAura display if you're interested in using that: http://pastebin.com/v19TZ6Wd

Postby Spanja » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks a lot, I'll try this =)

Next

Return to Addons / UI