Register

Blackrock Foundry - The Blast Furnace

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

Blackrock Foundry - The Blast Furnace

Postby aggixx » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:37 pm

Please use this thread to discuss the Blast Furnace encounter in Blackrock Foundry. As always, please specify raid difficulty when discussing strats - a Heroic tactic may be completely unfeasible in Mythic.
ImageImage

Honored

Re: Blackrock Foundry - The Blast Furnace

Postby Dwade » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:16 am

put in a few attempts tonight....this fight sucks for us no way around it. I was rolling with soul of the forest and blood talons most attempts, was tempted to try out glyph of savagery but I never did. I think this will be a fight that finally forces me to go balance for my os, hit starfall and go to the top of the meter...tab rake and thrash management will not get you very far. On the plus side we are really good for running bombs in.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:08 am

We got this down tonight, and ya it's no joke. Both for challenge and for how utterly we suck at it. I did get #1 on the final boss, and #1 on the Primal Elementalist which was nice, but over all barely ahead of the tanks.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:13 pm

I don't want to do this fight as feral on mythic :(

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:19 pm

Meters are deceiving, the whole fight is essentially a giant target priority clusterfuck so raw DPS is absolutely not the end goal here. Of course you have to have some people pumping out the DPS to widdle down the low priority targets (those Security Guards aren't going to kill themselves!) but a single target damage focused spec is of much more value than the meters would lead you to believe.

(Heroic)

We were bringing Foreman to one side at the beginning, so if your raid group is doing that you should probably lobby to get yourself on to his side; as a feral you'll benefit quite a bit from having a nice long living, high priority target that you can put your Rips on without having to worry if he's going to die 5 seconds later. Basic gameplay on this fight involves maintaining Thrash > Rake on all targets and dumping your 5 CPs into Rips and SRs, and playing well means prioritizing Rake refreshes on the targets that need to die first and Raking the other adds second. Rips should also always be placed on a target that is likely to live for the entire duration of the Rip which means Feldspar > fresh Engineers (just spawned) > a high HP Bellows Operator. In P1, Shred should be used very very sparingly primarily during Inc and when you know all of the other targets will certainly die without your assistance (this tends to happen on pull). Swipe should basically not be used at any point in this encounter.

In P2 you can bleed up the Primal Elementalists even when they're immune to damage so putting a 5 CP Rip on one right before its shield is about to fall is fantastic if your resources line up that way. The vulnerability window of the Primals is short enough that a second Rip is out of the question, you should always Bite after the first Rip if you need something to spend CPs on.

Last phase is a single target burn, make sure you've got everything up because this is about the only place in the whole fight where you can really shine.
ImageImage

Postby Kiryela » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:29 am

My damage on Primal Elementalist wasn't that nice, probably because we did on normal and they died so fast but my dmg on the boss itself was pretty solid.

Honored

Postby Itharius » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:16 pm

Dysheki wrote:I don't want to do this fight as feral on mythic :(

Don't worry, your raid leader will sit you for a fire mage :-P

Honored

Postby Alteredbeast » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 pm

Pawkets has the right of it. Hopefully your raid leaders don't look at overall damage done and instead priority adds.
In p1 my raid wanted the bellows as a priority target so I mostly sat on the bellows operator and just thrashed the big pack once in awhile and raked anything that would come close enough to me to reach. When the bellows operator dies another always seems to drop a couple seconds later so I was saving 5 combo points to nail him with a rip right away. Damage here for us is decent. If you can get on the side with the foreman (I wasn't) it will boost your dps significantly.

P2 my damage dropped off sharply. I was using the fire callers/slag elementals to build up 5 combo points, save TF and have an almost full energy bar so I could lay into the primal a ASAP with everything I had. I waited to put the rip on until right as the shield dropped and I could just hit BITW and extend my rip. We were really close on every primal elementist so that made the most sense to me. That being said this strategy put me almost dead last for overall dps. But doing good dps to all the priority adds except the fire callers.

P3 is just ST win.

I did a couple pulls with my terrible boomkin gear (all non shared gear with feral was from the 645 garrison missions) I did manage to get second on dps far behind our real boomkin but wasn't putting out the needed ST damage on the important adds. I think with a bit more gear balance will be the way to go on this fight of you have that option.

Postby peki » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:16 pm

This fight...ugh, we got it down on the last attempt aswell, im usually top 1-2 damage for elementalist but unfortunately on the kill i was wearing my food gear...so ilvl 630~

Honored

Postby inseedious » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:15 am

Ofc we're gonna be bottom dps here, but I think we're a lot useful. In 20-man mode, our Inc+Bers burst is enough to burn one Elementalist with the whole raid saving its CDs for the following one. And our sustained damage on the 1-2 Operators up is really fine, I'm mostly doing that in the first phase.
Courier | Nemesis EU

Honored

Postby Amitty » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:43 pm

The 2 Set makes this fight much better for us. I'm trying to keep Thrash up all the time, keep as much Rakes as I can, prioritize damage bursts on some targets, interrupt as much as I can and take the bombs with Disp Beast.

I won't be suprised if a lot of RLs decide to bench Ferals here on Mythic.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:23 pm

I think you'll be able to get away with a feral druid on Mythic as long as you've got a strong cleave comp (Enhs, Boomkins, Warriors etc), then the feral can just focus on bursting Primals and doing single target in the other phases. But yeah, if you don't... you're probably gonna be on the bench.
ImageImage

Honored

Postby Itharius » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:57 am

After doing this fight on heroic a few times this week, I've come to realize that it's actually a single target fight disguised as an aoe fight. The only time you're aoe'ing is really in phase 1. In phase 2, you're focusing firecallers and elementalists. In phase 3, everyone focuses the boss -- any aoe dps on slag elementals is complete fluff, and boomkins that starfall to pad meters in p2 and p3 are actually hurting the raid by increasing damage taken from the slag explosions.

Although ferals are on the bottom of Skada, we're actually one of the better specs on this fight because of our strong single target burst and our excellent self heals. I was dead last in overall dps, but first on primal elementalist dps and on heart of the mountain dps, so yeah.

I tried boomkin for a couple of attempts, but my RL was smart enough to realize that I was contributing more as feral, despite the 20k dps increase as boomkin.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:38 am

I disagree. While there are priority targets everything needs to die and you don't have time to down one mob at a time. This is especially true in P2. Uncontrolled AoE can hurt by killing the elementals to soon, but getting them low beforehand is important. Don't forget the other flame summoner adds or what ever they are called. If they aren't being widdled down over time the tanks get overwhelmed. We may be good for some of the priority targets, but there are melee who can do both comparable ST and crush is on the important aoe. We may be better then we look on the meters, but we are by no means ne of the best classes for this fight.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:41 am

P2 is still very much a cleave phase, damage on Firecallers is always valuable even if its not of the utmost important and intelligent damage of the Slags enables you to have a lower one ready for the next shield breaking which decreases your downtime. But yeah, you just need that mysterious "enough" damage on those adds and then everyone else might as well just be single targeting, its the same story as with all of the other AoE encounters except for Tectus.

Edit: Tinder beat me to it!
ImageImage

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:11 am

This issue will only be magnified by mythic size restrictions. It's hard to justify taking a feral for progression when the limited space can be filled by a less geared but more complete class.

Honored

Postby Terias » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:28 am

I also think getting random slags killed isn't as big of a waste as it seems, their aoe is only 8 yards, our raid was able to easily dodge them. They stay down for 30 seconds when killed, and the entire time they are up they are spamming 45k damage spells into their fixate targets.

Our first few attempts we ignored them - but when we switched to people aoeing them down efficiently, raid damage was significantly lower.

I feel like this will only get worse on mythic when they're hitting for 60k (and priests need to mc the defenders to knock their hardened slag off when they respawn).

Revered

Postby Polihayse » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:46 am

Is there enough single target priority on this fight to warrant bringing a feral druid to this on mythic? I've sat for Kromog mythic and operator mythic. Is this fight any better than operator? I am tired of sitting and want to convince them to take me.

Postby Hamwich » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 am

I've seen a few guilds attempt to pull the entire pack of adds to one side, alternating bomb drops / killing operators as they spawn,

see Fatboss, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDzhPwDzdOc

Has anyone attempted this strat?

My guild is just beginning heroic progression and last night was a bit rough, we split into two groups, and the group without the Foreman had significant downtime in between operator spawns...

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:19 pm

Stenhaldi did this fight as Feral before the buffs came out. Our burst on the elementalists will be high if not the highest. You can make a case that you are valuable to bring. Because of our spot on the meters it will depend on your RL if they want to bring you or not.

Revered

Postby Polihayse » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:59 am

If you reset pull the boss to get into position, you can attack an enemy and build to 5 combo points. You can also use Incarnation 1 second before the fight resets and have a solid 15 seconds of incarnation at the start of the fight as well as your reset Incarnation cd, which adds up to a total of 45 seconds of incarnation.

Here is a weakaura that will let you know when you should prepot with this strategy(triple click it to copy everything):

Spoiler: show
di0HfaqiuPCjuvLpjjLULQIDPcmmvYXqkldL8mK00uv5AQOTHu9nujgNcCouvMNcPoOKKfkHEiQunrfI6IkeAJQknsfcoPeSsvqZuHs3Kk1orv(PQQgQcvhfvv1sviYtbtffxvHKVkjvoRKu1ALKI5sLSxXFLObRGomulwf6XszYQYLjTzQ4ZsQrJeonv9AjXSLQBRODJ43qgUk1YP45knDIRtPTJe9DfkgpQKopQy9OQY(rPo0ctaFGcerno4M6Qqdrwx4J(Ux4u6GSKNHJb7FLtTlb2aSoG2bxhC9H6NASJdTtA4aZaVaVWeGR)DCwvY3tQ)gCXf6x8XfA0UUOEfNp)geOzxbnzuUkbyFi7ddyjIXxxRMWeOzxbndejaUjEezdtGvWgjmbM6U4AnGBTlShIiShovUf4HkxKL8YXatDxCTwkCU1aqvvFGhQCQ7IR1umWISKxGcerno4M6QQ3drwxvNIRuL1GxxJJgJAQYAWRB95XUaKL8wxlIGnhGQRdSil5v2OatiApGB8kQjsKayIFIfpIeMatSNeMa3gDvjaUFtbECBF1ircigFDTActGvWTkLEIdkqdzjsaJodCgyV1EVWlaTtwSod8SgS4rKaudqWtT0tCqbWwdoqZUcAgiWER9op8udW)wFRIs8K6ae8u3WeE0c4w7sKalYAAAGQbBQwHcFf2dlIfPRFCRKNAc0qwIeG1vGMDf0SKc)td0SRGMbA2vqtE4PgG9HSpmGLOuQejG4N6lqZUcAwkCU1akLkrcyxTCrwtttXakLkrcWD08iwypCSO6anKLi)VvdwqMaJoqZUcAccUvzdeWUA5ER9op8utXakLkr2abSRwUiRPPwIxYXagD()wnybzcm6a2vl3BT3l8sXap9O1XHHZTgyeQAKC)DuJnsGBdQ2O7oUrB(1JiH3vakuFnfs4Xh9aDe(fMa2vljkLQjhdi4UsKWeyA7IpmrIe45DC8nBx4eMatBx8HjsKagCtdtGPTl(Wejsa7QL8dr0umGb11WeyA7IpmrIeWUAzdnpILuma)qenqXoUvXGAvyp8lYsEgorc4Gic45NgESOg4537oMdi4wLnGBTlCJ9q3ikv2drwHBShYF3BaJw7rego3AaFdrcScUvz5oIiypzQejW)rXafg5rma(98IhrW9sX4RRvZgMib8Vaf74vyp8R1qWn9JBTlbgJ)jueE0UOhGZFhNvL8LovQuzDX66AavUCs96moF(DgGyNmgFDTA2WJwGNFV7yofAisGcerno4M6Qqdrwx0opzX6xGvWTk74iprcu8pdZF3beLRc3rDKjmHhT8DWa6N8DX3GZF0PtNolQX5Zj1WJv(oya9t(U4BW5p60PtNf1485KAKibWHjGBTlbkqe14GBQRcnezDHp67EHtPdYsEgogS)vo1UejaLHhTFSOfjba

Honored

Postby TheLOOGE » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:37 pm

....aaaand this is why Blizzard takes away nice things like having our 3 mins reset on wipes. I don't blame anyone for using the above mentioned "non-exploit" because it's "there" but this action definitely isn't intended.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:38 pm

We're three tanking this and not getting out of P1 after two nights and I want to kill myself.

Postby Nephera » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:31 am

We were three tanking this as well. The only thing I can say to console you - this fight gets a lot easier with gear. We were progressing it for about a week and after the reset everyone got their ring upgrade and we killed it like it was on farm, on the second try.

Only thing I felt I was being useful on this fight was offhealing on P1 and actual boss damage. At the start of P2 there's huge ammount of AoE that we're pretty useless at. In P2 when Foreman was dead there was literally nothing to dot as everyone was focusing firecallers and we had only two slags without the damage reduction. Guards were too far away, near the ranged and weren't really an important target so there was no real reason to touch them. Hate this fight so much.

We had one healer each side in P1 and on our side we had Foreman, so it was a big struggle for our healer as she mostly could just Chain Heal the group not to lose too much mana. I was interrupting Foreman whenever I was not too focused on raid frames so the tank would take less damage. Electrocute hits for a lot too, so I tried to Rejuv the ranged whenever they were taking damage since they were the most likely to be out of range of Chain Heal. Tried to keep Rejuv on the person who was detonating bombs from the mind controlled Engineer and the tank. On the end of P1 I was basically just autoattacking and Thrashing sometimes, popped HotW and spammed Rejuv on everyone that was taking damage... So basically everyone in range. When the Furnace was closed and we were moving towards the entrance of the room I got back to DPSing.
After P1 I usually had about 15k HPS so I suppose it's quite a bit of a help (about 1/4 of a healer!). HotW was getting back up at the end of P2 and there was a lot of damage then too so I used it again to help a bit when I had some spare time.

I can't think of a different reason to be taken there... With this tactic at least. Hope I didn't scare you :D.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:55 am

Well, the worst part is I'm the third tank. I hate tanking but one of our other off tanks is playing his boomkin. At this point we are mostly having issues with one side downing the regulator in time. My side is doing well enough, probably 50/50 at getting it down in time. The other side isn't really using knockbacks and whatnot efficiently and letting bomb bags go to waste every now and again. I just hate everything about this fight and tanking just makes me suicidal. ESPECIALLY since engineers can't be taunted. Worst mechanic ever.

Next

Return to Boss Archives