Register

Hellfire Citadel - Shadow-Lord Iskar

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

Hellfire Citadel - Shadow-Lord Iskar

Postby aggixx » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Please use this thread to discuss the Shadow-Lord Iskar encounter in Hellfire Citadel. As always, please specify raid difficulty when discussing strats - a Heroic tactic may be completely unfeasible in Mythic.
ImageImage

Revered

Re: Hellfire Citadel - Shadow-Lord Iskar

Postby Kojiyama » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:51 am

Just as a heads-up, if you wait to Displacer Beast until you start getting pushed out of range then pop Dash, you can survive the Phantasmal Winds (and mostly stay in melee range!) without the Eye of Anzu getting thrown at you.

Not a big deal if your group is good at throwing the Eye around, but worth keeping in mind if you get stuck without it.

Revered

Postby Kraineth » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:51 pm

Highly recommend Displacer here, lots of fire around that you can just blink over. Aside from that, use CDs on pull and then again for second transition.

The addon Exorsus Raid Tools is invaluable here for passing the eye. They have an Iskar assist module that lights up squares based on who has winds, and you can just click the square to pass it.

Honored

Postby Itharius » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Feral is great for this fight (heroic). During transition phases, make sure to tab rake and use bloodtalons on rips + thrash. The adds are very long lived, so you can rack up top damage with good multi-target cleave. However, mythic might require you to focus priest add a little harder than in heroic, so I wouldn't get used to padding here.

Honored

Postby Ehrenfailed » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:50 pm

Is that how Pawkets pulled of his rank 1? I cant access warcraftlogs atm, but I am always forced on single target dps and my damage was horrible...

Revered

Postby Kraineth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Yep reigning in the pad on this fight for mythic is going to be a big deal

Revered

Postby Kojiyama » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I didn't pad much on our kill because I was still under the impression (based on PTR comments) that the small adds despawned when the big add died.

Hard to say how important the cleave is going to be in Mythic. Really depends on how much damage they do to the tank and the timing relative to the phase transition.

Either way, Blademaster trinket is going to be beastmode on this fight if you have it available.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:29 pm

I think cleave will be critical on Mythic. I just don't think we are the ones who should be doing that. Other classes get enhanced single target from cleaving, but we don't. Our personal focus need to be getting the priority add down asap with single target and help with Thrash. Our overall DPS may suffer, but letting the focus target live longer only hurts the raid.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:17 am

Ehrenfailed wrote:Is that how Pawkets pulled of his rank 1? I cant access warcraftlogs atm, but I am always forced on single target dps and my damage was horrible...

I saved 3 minute CDs for the intermissions (1st and 3rd) because the rest of the fight is irrelevant. First intermission I multi-raked all of the adds because I had my 3 minutes. The other 2 I just trained the priority target, multidotting all of them while keeping up Thrash, nothing special. So TL;DR: I padded on the easiest intermission of the three, you could certainly do better if you want to scum it up.

Blademaster trinket does work here, with our DPS I was able to use it once on pull and once during and between every intermission phase. On mythic it should be the same story although the trinket may come off cooldown before intermission in which case you'll just hold it for a bit but that's not a big deal.
ImageImage

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:20 am

Tinderhoof wrote:I think cleave will be critical on Mythic. I just don't think we are the ones who should be doing that. Other classes get enhanced single target from cleaving, but we don't. Our personal focus need to be getting the priority add down asap with single target and help with Thrash. Our overall DPS may suffer, but letting the focus target live longer only hurts the raid.

Don't really agree, either they're critical or they're not and if they are everyone should be damaging them. If they can simply be ignored and let your enhance shaman fire nova off them then that is very much not "critical".

Kojiyama wrote:Hard to say how important the cleave is going to be in Mythic. Really depends on how much damage they do to the tank and the timing relative to the phase transition.

^ This. I suspect it'll just be padding to attack them just like heroic.
ImageImage

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:12 pm

I disagree that it is so clear cut. The whole pack needs to die ASAP so we can get back on the boss, but the Priest needs to die fastest. Everyone going full AoE will just slow down the priority target while everyone on the talon priest will slow down the whole pack being down. Classes who are good at the cleave which improves single target go crazy and we just focus down the add like we do best. They last long enough for Thrash to actually be worth it with the T17 2p, but past that it's just scum bagging for us.

Revered

Postby Kojiyama » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:59 pm

When I looked into the logs in Heroic, these adds were doing pretty minimal damage to the tanks. It seemed extremely low priority to even worry about them when other classes can cleave them down almost for free.

It is possible they will do enough damage in Mythic to warrant being a priority target, but on Heroic they don't really matter much. Only averaged about 53k EHRPS on our Druid tank while they were up, which was just shy of 12% of the EHRPS during that phase.

Honored

Postby Ehrenfailed » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:47 pm

well my raidlead insisted that I only straight singletarget dps the main add...which resulted in a poor dps of 52k. Well, I still got no new fancy trinkets or weapon and my laptops performance is very questionable (still waiting for my new machine)....but still...52k is not acceptable. :D

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:45 am

Doing your job is not bad DPS. Boss dying is what is important not ranks.

Honored

Postby Amitty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:24 am

Poor DPS or not the Raven needs to die asap, but using Thrash on the Transition is a single target increase for you if you are still using the old 2set.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:01 pm

You should 100% be using Thrash regardless of if you have 2pT17, there is no significant loss for a huge gain in total damage.
ImageImage

Revered

Postby Kraineth » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:52 am

Another easy boss after the mythic gorefiend wall, nothing really stands out other than let the aoe classes do the aoe, I wasn't even bleed cleaving on the large adds during transition 2 and 3

Honored

Postby Batlecruiser » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:15 am

Except you are not bursting the add using the Legendary at the right moment and in the right way, you can use this WeakAura for the Dark Binding http://www.fluiddruid.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5553. It creates an arrow for the last 2 bindings and shows you how many players are still affected by Dark Binding.

Revered

Postby Kojiyama » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:30 pm

I have not seen this mentioned, but I ended up doing for our kill tonight. If you are doing the strat where you burn the boss with ranged in the third add phase, the damage to the adds is totally irrelevant.

I took taking Heart of the Wild and just stood on the edge with the rest of the ranged spamming Wrath--in addition to ensuring I had full DoTs refreshed on him right prior to him hitting 20% and teleporting away. This actually allowed me to do a bit over half of the damage of most ranged during the Time Warp burn phase. The extra ~2 million damage (50k DPS) could certainly be relevant during progression, so probably worth taking over NV or DoC.
Last edited by Kojiyama on Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honored

Postby Eltur » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Kojiyama wrote:I have not seen this mentioned, but I ended up doing for our kill tonight. If you are doing the strat where you burn the boss with ranged in the third add phase, the damage to the adds is totally irrelevant.

I took taking Heart of the Wild and just standing on the edge and spamming Wrath as well as ensuring I had full DoTs refreshed on him right prior to him hitting 20%. This actually allowed me to do over half of the damage of any of the ranged during the Time Warp burn phase, and the extra ~2 million damage (50k DPS) could certainly be relevant during progression.

Don't forget to change your weapon to a caster weapon

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:13 pm

Eltur wrote:Don't forget to change your weapon to a caster weapon

That only makes sense if you have an int weapon that is the same Ilvl as your current Cat weapon. If you don't, keep your cat weapon.

Revered

Postby Kojiyama » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:20 am

Tinderhoof wrote:
Eltur wrote:Don't forget to change your weapon to a caster weapon

That only makes sense if you have an int weapon that is the same Ilvl as your current Cat weapon. If you don't, keep your cat weapon.

I tested with my ilevel 700 caster weapon vs. my 720 polearm and the base damage from my Wraths was quite a bit higher with the caster weapon (52k crit vs. 68k crit) although I give up a fair amount of Crit/MS rating.

Probably still worth swapping I guess, although it probably comes out to be only marginally different when adjusting for secondary stats.

Fel Lash procs also do quite a bit more damage with the extra spell power, which doesn't hurt!

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:30 am

well if you are rocking the kilrogg staff all that mastery is literally worthless for HotW (though not your last bleeds on the boss). I'd probably gear straight Multi Crit if possible (haste is the best stat for HOTW but it is soo bad for us for the rest of the fight). And would definitely not use Mirror even if its soo good for the rest of the fight it is pretty useless for the burn phase at the end.

Revered

Postby Kojiyama » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:14 am

On the other hand, I think Mirror is pretty good for the Phantasmal Resonance burn and accounted for nearly 10% of the damage against in on our kill this week.

At least for us, the Phantasmal Resonance felt a lot tighter than the final burn phase in terms of timing. So most of my decisions for gearing were based around optimizing those phases.

Return to Boss Archives