Register

Majordomo Staghelm

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

Re: Majordomo Staghelm

Postby Grenache » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:42 am

Thanks for that tip. When paralysed I would just spam my bear form till it finally worked and both times I avoided seeds, though a damn orb got me once :)

Postby Andolie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:04 am

I can vouch for that too. I tried it tonight, and it worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip.

Honored

Postby mekell » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I remembered....2 seconds too late. But good to know this does work!

I did finally get the staff to drop though :) yay!

Honored

Postby adianar » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Heroic 10:

I'm not sure if I've missed this in previous posts or not, but we've come to the conclusion recently that you can force/predict the orb spawn at or when Domo <= 50% health and he moves to cat phase. Can anyone else confirm that? If so, we've opted to force a scorp phase just prior and hero which takes the bulk of his remaining health out of the equation before the orbs spawn and create added havoc. I can't tell you how many times we've worked this fight, but this was a relevation to us recently. It has also taken a major obstacle out of the path of completing this boss.

Fireless kitty

Adi

Honored

Postby Terias » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm pretty sure he just does one of his abilities every 3 shifts, depending on which form you started him in (it's unrelated to health levels).

If you start in scorpion he'll shift cat, then scorpion and on that scorpion shift he does seeds. Then he'll shift cat->scorpion->cat and on that cat he tosses out orbs. If you leave him up long enough after he'll repeat seeds then orbs again.

If you start him in cat form you'll get orbs first too.

My guild just heroes when we hit 100% concentration at the beginning.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:15 pm

quick question, do you prepot+berserk+CDs on the pull? or wait till full concentration to berserk+CDs?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:24 pm

If you hold for full concentration you will lose most of your pre pot time, and Berserk will still be up when he starts leaping away. Use it as normal or delay a few seconds, but don't wait that long.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:31 pm

oh, I was thinking on trying the 0 scythe 0 leaps tonight, so its almost patchwerk :P
but thanks, I'll be dropping berserk almost on pull

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Laurind wrote:oh, I was thinking on trying the 0 scythe 0 leaps tonight, so its almost patchwerk :P

Your Ranged and Healers will hate that.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:13 am

Konungr wrote:
Laurind wrote:oh, I was thinking on trying the 0 scythe 0 leaps tonight, so its almost patchwerk :P

Your Ranged and Healers will hate that.

why? if you have enough melee, only 1 (healer) would be switching form

5 melee + 1 Healer stacked behind the boss, 1 healer making the switch, all the others turret dpsing (except with seeds) but they would have to move either way

have you tried it?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:07 pm

Pretty sure it means healing that much damage were 1 little thing can go wrong at any time would upset the healers. The range will likely not be happy because they will be stuck with 0 concentration and so aren't very useful for the fight. Nothing sucks like trying to cheeze mechanics when you are the one "taking one for team".

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:16 pm

I was more looking at the side of things where if you don't make all the DPS go Melee, all the Ranged and Healers have to move, A LOT. Plus you will end up with Seeds and Orbs at the same time, since you will be forcing a transition every ~15 seconds.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:36 pm

I've done it the "normal" way, with both scorpion and cat phases, but I saw this and thougt it would be a better way to do it.

Yes, seeds and orbs together.

why Ranges with no concentration? Orbs could get melee or rangeds.
why all Ranges moving so much? you only need 7 people to get scorp phase, so 6 always stacked behind the boss, and 1 moving in or out (just 5 steps) to make it change.

all dmg come from boss melee swings, orbs and seeds (that don't scale dmg with fury stacks).
I may be missing something there, not to cheese because there's no other way.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:42 pm

So Many things to go wrong:
While running in to force a transition during Orbs one person could get all the stacks and drop over.
If someone is running out a Seed Explosion while needing to Stack to force a transition, a second person doesn't group up for him to force it, Swipe, Dead Tank.

It's a very sketchy strategy and forcing someone to move every ~15 seconds, especially a caster or healer, who have to stay still to do things, is going to be iffy at best.

Edit: As for there being no other way: My guild does 7 Specials in both Cat and Scorpion before switching his forms, and a lot of guilds do 1 Scorpion and 7 Cats.
Last edited by Konungr on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:58 pm

Laurind wrote:I may be missing something there, not to cheese because there's no other way.

Pretty much the defenition of "Cheeze it" is to avoid most of the fight mechanics completly. And I assure you plenty of guilds have done it with out resorting to this strat.

Honored

Postby Laurind » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:02 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:
Laurind wrote:I may be missing something there, not to cheese because there's no other way.

Pretty much the defenition of "Cheeze it" is to avoid most of the fight mechanics completly. And I assure you plenty of guilds have done it with out resorting to this strat.

Yes, I've done it with scythes and leaps (the classic way), not hard at all, but I liked the way it seems to work, and doing it just to change things a bit
Maybe I won't even try it....

Postby MojoJuice » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:59 am

My guild got it's first kill on heroic, by doing 8 (I think) scorpions to start with and then going with the following:

7 cat
0 scorpion (people start running out again, at aprox 60% energy)
repeat

As we didn't need people to soak scorpion damage, we optimized Concentration on most of the raid for quite some time! Downside is, ofc., that the orb phase comes quicker, but at that point Staghelm was not far from execute range.. That's just the way we did it, but this isn't the first time my guild has chosen to do a boss a bit different from most :)

Kittywise: I pop all my shit to start with, in scorpion phase.. Hero/BL gets popped in cat when everyone is at 100% concentration, and if I'd save my Berserk to that point, I'd cap energy instantly and miss out on a lot of potential damage.

(yay first post! have been lurking around here for a couple of months now :P .. Awesome stuff you got lying around here)

Honored

Postby adianar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

first heroic kill last night as well. Still a fireless kitty. the staff clearly hates me and has refused to drop thus far..

Oddly enough, we did this quite a bit differently than most. I'm thinking it might've been quite a bit harder too.. 13 Scorpion, 7 cat, 6 scorpion, 7 cat, 4 scorpion, 7 cat and 1 scorpion.

We have 3 out for the first scorp phase, but due to jumpy orb runners, we continued to fail-switch the boss until we finally decided to keep a single dps out through the remainder of the fight. After initial 13 scorpion, we only keep 1 out for the duration so as not to switch boss accidentally. Sounds like a dps problem to me. We've had an awful time keeping the same 10 in the same fight night over night, let alone week over week. It's been a bit painful.

Any ideas here other than more out longer? 3 Healing with 2 pallies, 1 disc priest...

Adi

BTW the bear form trick with no orb worked every single time. Really helped as I was the lone person out all fight..

Honored

Postby Grenache » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:11 pm

The "spam bear form whilst seeds is casting" trick works about 80% of the time for me. Once in awhile it fails though. I'm feral spec'd however I told one of our resto druids and she said it didn't work for her. Is it spec-dependent or is she just a bit slow / unlucky at form shifting in time?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:38 am

It is spec dependent. That is how the cats know who they are allowed to leap at.
Energy = not ok
Tank = not ok
Mana = ok - Enhance Shaman, Ret Pali
Focus = ok

Because Tanks are immune to the seed debuff if you are in bear form and feral spec'd you won't get the seed buff. You just have to be in bear before tornados go out and you will be golden.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:46 am

Tinderhoof wrote: You just have to be in bear before tornados go out and you will be golden.

Not necessarily, I haven't ever managed to get into Bear Form prior to the Tornadoes, I just make sure I hit Bear Form the second I gain the ability to and haven't gotten a Seed yet.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:10 pm

Here is what I have found. As long as I spam bear form while stunned I will get into bear before the seeds go out. However, I found that if I switched back to cat immediately after that, I would still get a seed. As long as I waited about a second before switching back to cat, I never got a seed. I was able to repeat that several times, so I am pretty sure that is what is happening. Just get into bear, wait a second and then switch back to cat (basically wait an extra GCD) and you should be fine as long as no one else blows up on you.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Yeah, it seems that it takes a brief second for him to cast the seed on people.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks so much. That explains why I would sometimes get seeds when I was sure I had shifted in time.

Previous

Return to Boss Archives