Register

Ragnaros

Site Admin

Ragnaros

Postby Alaron » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:29 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Ragnaros encounter.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Re: Ragnaros

Postby mangle » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:12 am

On 25m Normal when dealing with his hammer (only did first 60% ish) we had melee stand at max melee range to be in range of the healers, once his hammer would go down and do the flame waves melee would run into the ring around Rag to avoid them. However don't stand right in front of the hammer pool or you might be knocked back into it and end up dying.

DO NOT FERAL CHARGE. It will send you into the middle of the lava. :C

HOWEVER, if you are out of range of Rag you can skull bash into his max melee range. :)

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:28 am

Feral charge (bear) also works fine and won't be as costly once you lose 4-piece tier 11.

Postby Kallapryy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:12 am

For our 25 man kill tonight the biggest thing not covered in general melee strats I found was I had to re-add maim back to my bar (I hadn't used this in some time). I could bear bash and add then switch and maim another if / when needed while dpsing. Savage roar was also beneficial for the flame walls and slow raiders.

Postby mangle » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:40 pm

Killed Rag 25m tonight, will post a video tomorrow.

Other things to note;
- Don't skull bash mid-air, unlike alakir it won't stop you from wasting the CD and it will just let you drop where it would normally put you.
- Maim is good for the stuns, Infected wounds isn't really useful as the stuns and dmg you put into it are what slow it.
- We did a "square" formation for the melee when the seeds were spawning.
- Stampeding Roar when the entire raid is stacked for the transitions.

Postby Revos » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:54 am

We havent downed Raggy yet, but I noticed that if there's issues with controling the small adds in the transition phase, just save your TF, get 5 CP's and maim the add youre on. For me it were enough to get the add below 50% to cancel its movement buff.

Also, blizzard claimed that they put in a "fix" for us not to kill our self with Feral charge on some bosses - guess they forgot Ragnaros...

Honored

Postby Ekthelion » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:55 am

We downed Rag 25 yesterday. Regarding sons of flame the way I did my add was: bash in bear with enrage active > change to cat and stack to 5 CP (i preserve TF for that moment) > Maim when bash wears off > nuke hard! or charge to other son of flame. Works like a charm :-)
Da Vuhdo iz wid'ya mon!

Postby exkape » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

we just did this last night and found it to be very easy, shredding was easy with this boss, depending on dps can get off berserk about 3-4 times (my kill time was at 10mins) where 1st one was on pull with flasks, 2nd was aoeing adds 3rd time (allowed me to spam swipe and use the rest of the berserk on boss quickly reapplying rake/rip etc). 3rd berserk was at under 25%.
pretty simple fight, as stated above dont feral charge the boss, i used it for switching between adds allowing for rake to be used to get the adds down faster.
when adds came out swapped to bear form and bashed and maimed others... nothing special as to what i did, as i said not a particularly challenging fight and best to use stun cds on adds.
good luck everyone for this fight, i found it to be an enjoyable fight. hope you enjoy

Postby Kz2329 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:50 am

We had a few tries last night on 25m, what's the best positioning for melee? Our raid leader made all melee stack for aoe heals in front of the boss so I had to change to mangle glyph. I am not sure why we were not stacked on the side though but we have no rogues and looks like I'm the only one who really cares.

Postby mangle » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QG7WOzvtLU

This was our kill video, we found the left to be the easiest place for melee ( could be right whatever way your tanks decide). You can shred just fine from where we are standing, the only downside is that our heals are positioned closer to tanks so we do out-range a fair few of our healers and only rely on a chain heal.

Postby Shandrahyl » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:56 am

guess u guys are talking about 25m mh? cuz maim is useless in 10m for the adds..rake,shred,shred, FB = add down.

Postby Tavi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:56 am

We had about an hour of messing around with this boss last night. On the adds, does Infected wounds not work well? I was thinking of respeccing to it for next weeks attempts.

Postby mangle » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Not really worth it. They should initially be stunned and then bursted down to 50% at which point they slow themselves.

Honored

Postby Ekthelion » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:13 am

go bear, bash him, go cat, make 5cp ASAP, and Maim when bash wears off, nuke, win
Da Vuhdo iz wid'ya mon!

Postby Sonsys » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:59 am

Tavi wrote:We had about an hour of messing around with this boss last night. On the adds, does Infected wounds not work well? I was thinking of respeccing to it for next weeks attempts.

The adds have a "buff" increaseing movement speed by ???% they can only be stunned, no slowing effects work. Just drop them below 50% and the buff is gone, thy will move less than walk speed.

For myself there are 3 ways ive delt with the adds in 25man normal.

1) ShadowMeld at the spawn point then Pounce - Keeps T11 4set and saves alot of switching time.

2) Bear bash > Catform > Mangle > rake > Shred to 5cbo points > Maim

3) Make good friends with your raid leader and get someone who has a much more viable stun mechanic do that and you just apply the damage.

I team with an Arms warrior very well... He will open with the 5sec Throw down - Im able to get 5 cbo points and then maim as it falls off - the add moves about 5 yrds before its below 50%

Postby Eldhorn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:16 pm

In 10man it's a very good idea to move away from the add's spawn point, Feral Charge and Stampede Ravage them. Rake, Shred, FB, NEXT!
It goes so fast you can even handle a second add if you get a healer to stun that add initially. Or at least time to help someone who wasn't as fast.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:14 am

Right...watching the L2R vid (which of course makes it so much easier in theory, even just reading it made it sound easy) and getting some tries later today. But, some questions/concerns (mind you, 10man):

1. ...where the fuck do we attack this guy so we can shred him? It looks like you're front facing him the whole damn time lol.

2. So, these Sons of Flame, they go down easy apparently? No need to dig up Maim from somewhere in my spellbook to use it hopefully?

3. Finally, the living meteor...some questions on it. For example, does this target melee too? And if so, how are we supposed to knock it back, or is that a ranged job? Also do they despawn after a while, or is this one of those things where eventually a shitload are just gonna overwhelm as a soft enrage since they apparently have prohibitively high health to kill?

Either way, looks like another fabulously unfriendly melee fight, especially if you're stuck with a crap attack like Shred so you need to be behind the boss. If anyone else has some suggestions/tips for a first timer on this boss on 10man, feel free to throw in your input.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 am

shinryu wrote:Right...watching the L2R vid (which of course makes it so much easier in theory, even just reading it made it sound easy) and getting some tries later today. But, some questions/concerns (mind you, 10man):

1. ...where the fuck do we attack this guy so we can shred him? It looks like you're front facing him the whole damn time lol.

2. So, these Sons of Flame, they go down easy apparently? No need to dig up Maim from somewhere in my spellbook to use it hopefully?

3. Finally, the living meteor...some questions on it. For example, does this target melee too? And if so, how are we supposed to knock it back, or is that a ranged job? Also do they despawn after a while, or is this one of those things where eventually a shitload are just gonna overwhelm as a soft enrage since they apparently have prohibitively high health to kill?

Either way, looks like another fabulously unfriendly melee fight, especially if you're stuck with a crap attack like Shred so you need to be behind the boss. If anyone else has some suggestions/tips for a first timer on this boss on 10man, feel free to throw in your input.

1: Your tank should be on one side of the platform, but even if he decides to stand smack dab in the middle of the platform, if you get to one side you can still Shred.

2: They go down pretty easy, but I would keep maim on my bars just in case, there are always things that go wrong.

3: Living Meteor targets everything. Generally for P3 I am over on the left and the rest of my raid is stacked in the center, if the Living Meteor targets me I use Moonfire when it is almost on top of me. Be careful though, the meteor is small and it may take a second or two to actually target the meteor instead of Huge-Ass-Ragnaros. They don't despawn, you just have to burn rag before the meteors overwhelm you.

Tip for P1: Keep an eye on the Hand of Rag and Sulf Smash CDs, sometimes they come within seconds and you could be knocked back into the waves, move around a bit to find a safe spot.

Tip for P2: The 1st and 3rd Seeds have a chance to put Engulf Flames on the front of the platform, I stand behind the copper ring in between the two copper root designs in the floor. The 2nd Seeds will always have a Sulf Smash right there, stack ontop of the copper ring.

Postby Aurea » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:35 pm

as a night elf you can shadowmeld at the spawnposition and pounce one elemental right at the moment it spawns.
and don't try to feral charge him :] you're gonna die horribly in the lava. (even though blizz stated, they would fix feral charge on this encounter)
Last edited by Aurea on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:02 pm

So FC is a bad ideal for this fight, I'll try to keep that in mind...why is it you land in lava if you FC a fire elemental though? Sounds kinda odd.

So the living meteor, if it's continually chasing us, how are we supposed to get in damage on the boss? Seems kinda retarded to have to shift out and MF one that's chasing ya, then shift back and try getting in dps, especially if you're still rocking 4p T11...

Postby Aurea » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:16 pm

someone else can dmg the meteor to get it off you (warrior throw/dks/ranged). charging the adds should work, i was talking about raggi himself :]

Postby Fonia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Why haven't you bought chest/hands or legs yet? I was so happy to get rid of 4t11. No more worry about cost/benefit to brez or tranq, and one less thing to keep track of. Totally worth it.

Postby Satrion » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:22 pm

shinryu wrote:So the living meteor, if it's continually chasing us, how are we supposed to get in damage on the boss? Seems kinda retarded to have to shift out and MF one that's chasing ya, then shift back and try getting in dps, especially if you're still rocking 4p T11...

FF in cat form works fine. You just have to cast something at it, it doesn't have to do damage.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Fonia wrote:Why haven't you bought chest/hands or legs yet? I was so happy to get rid of 4t11. No more worry about cost/benefit to brez or tranq, and one less thing to keep track of. Totally worth it.

Short answer: Extremely lazy in getting VP. I don't farm them weekly to cap at all, so especially since it was a bit slow going in raiding initially I need another 600 or so next week to get it. But yeah...unlike wotlk where it was relatively pain-free since you could do any heroic to get badges, I can't bring myself at all to farm in Cata, and won't be torturing myself anytime soon lol.

Satrion wrote:
shinryu wrote:So the living meteor, if it's continually chasing us, how are we supposed to get in damage on the boss? Seems kinda retarded to have to shift out and MF one that's chasing ya, then shift back and try getting in dps, especially if you're still rocking 4p T11...

FF in cat form works fine. You just have to cast something at it, it doesn't have to do damage.

Really? If so, that would be sweet, I was under the impression it had to be a damaging ability, but if FFF works, sweet.

Postby Vorticose » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 pm

That's great news, I was changing to bear and FFF'ing. Even though this isn't really any better than moonfiring, the hotkeys were handier and it felt right to switch to bear (rather than a squishy form) when there's a meteor barrelling towards me.

Next

Return to Boss Archives