Register

Blizzcon 2014

All the non-WOW stuff goes here.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Blizzcon 2014

Postby Alsoria » Mon May 26, 2014 1:55 am

Just seeing if any other ferals will be there. Would be awesome to meet some others. I'll be at the con and in town from Thursday to Tuesday. :)

Exalted

Re: Blizzcon 2014

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon May 26, 2014 12:16 pm

I will be in attendance.

Postby Alsoria » Wed May 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Awesome! Definitely keep an eye out. :D

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed May 28, 2014 11:10 pm

Look for the big red bearded nerdy Viking looking guy.

Postby Alsoria » Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 pm

:) I'll be the typical glasses and shaggy brown hair! I'll definitely keep an eye out.

Postby imverykind » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:03 am

Hey, can i ask you for a favor? Can you go to the Q&A and ask the devs why we are not getting a Vu and why we don't get any benefit from Visual apperiance. It would be nice to have at least one thematic apperiance er Expansion.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:42 pm

VU?, Visual Appearance? Please explain.

Postby imverykind » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:36 pm

Visual Upgrade. Sorry for the mistake. Can you do it?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Can answer that right here. While not quite as much time as a new character model redoing our forms is quite a lot of work for a much smaller group of the population. With the strong possibility that not even all of the new character models will be done in time for the Warlords launch there is little to no incentive to prioritize redoing Feral/Guardian forms since we already got one half way through Wrath. If anyone needs a new model its Boomkins. They are next in line.

Postby imverykind » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm

I strongly disagree with you. The argument, that we are a a smaller group to taken serious is discriminating argument. We are paying customer, and as the shapeshifting class, we have the least amount of visual diversity. Every Xpac, other classes get plenty of diffrent armor/weapon, they get challenge gear, they got a lot of Amor/Weapons for Transmog, Polymorphs and, in the future, Accesoir. Even if its stated, that we have the same options it is wasted on us. We dont see our Armor/Weaponsor Transmogs and we Polymorph immune (which is not a bad thing). They creating T Sets, Weapons and Challenge equips for the sake of equal treatment, whom they know its partially a waste of time and money. Only Restos and Moonkins with Astral Glyph will only profit from it, which the latter gives up his former shapeshift. Instead of this entire crap, they can give us at least one diffrent skin, like in Cata and the Feral Kitty.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:39 pm

There appears to be some vitriol involved in the question that I did not see when you first asked it. I have a number of points to make about your statement. Please understand that none of these are personal, but I am simply telling you the truth here.

1. First and foremost Blizzard is a business and their goal as a business is to make money. They make this money by providing a game that lots of people play for fun. By far the most successful game of it's kind. They know that to continue to make money they must attempt to please as much of their audience as possible, an try to attract new people to said audience. In this expansion they are adding new character models for the original races for first time in the games 10 year history. This is a MASSIVE undertaking. However this is something the whole fan base has desired for a long time. The Feral/Guardian population is a VERY minor subset of that community. Even if every single one of us who plays a Feral unsubbed it would not make business sense to please us over the larger community. However I doubt this is an unsubbing reason for a majority of us.

2. It's a matter of resources. There is only so much that can be done per expansion and hard choices have to be made. As it is they are already very behind what they wanted to be by this time. The argument for this usually is "Hire more people". While in some situations it is beneficial to hire more people for periods of high work. However the process of making new character models is intensive and time consuming, but also a group effort. Just adding more artists doesn't make the group go faster. Also adding too many people can cause log jams that are unnecessary. I speak on this after working in the software industry for 15 years.

3. How is it a partial waste of Money? I don't know about you, but I trasmog my gear. If you use trasmog as well you are still getting the benefit of it. Sure you can't see it during combat, but hell more then half the time I can't see my character model at all due to being in a melee clump covered by larger models and spell effects.

4. We as Ferals got new models in WotLK, got a unique Feral only staff that changed our form in Cata, and in MoP we got the Fire Seeds so we didn't have to use a weapon macro for that form. In WoD we are going to have costumes not be removed by shapshifting which is nice. I would prefer too to be able to stay in the costume in Feral form, but what ever. What have boomkins got? They got their form in mid Vanilla. They haven't got anything other then a recolor for troll/worgen. Don't give me glyph of stars either. Looking hazy with no color isn't that fun of a glyph compared to Firecat.

In closing we aren't being discriminated against. Greater good for the greatest number is always going to take precedence. Sure it isn't as fun when we are a unique special snowflake, but we have still gotten love plenty of times. Our situation isn't worth the anger you seem to feel on this subject. I also assure you if you do find someone to ask this question you will get a shorter and likely terser response then I gave you, but will be the same result.

Postby imverykind » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:12 am

I think im too passionate about it. I wasn't angry about you, my sincerest apology. I didn't mean to be rude.

Sure for Blizzard it makes sense to put the greater good before special problems. But at the end we all play this game. When the Firecat staff came out i was eager to get it. I was thinking, that we get at least 1 diffrent apperiance . I don't expect Blizzard to make a visual change for every tier or Armor Set. But we could get at least a thematic apperance for each expansion, don't you think? I mean they produce Armor Sets, they produce plenty of polymorphs, transmog items and Challenge gear. Shouldn't be one skin for druids be possible? Whats the big difference between the shapshifting form and the other races? Is it really so much work? And im talking not talking about Cats exclusivly.
It just bothers me to go through another expansion with no visual changes. You must admit, that apperiance is a big part in an RPG. But whatever, it looks like they regret the druid class, because of their additional shapeshifting ability, which is nonconform with other classes.

Edit: Btw the polymorph change will only effect you out of your shapeshift. You will be storing the polymorph but it will not show it in the shapeshifted form. Tbh i couldn't care less, because i almost never out of my shape, but it would make sense for the RP community.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:09 pm

imverykind wrote:But we could get at least a thematic apperance for each expansion, don't you think?

I don't really agree. The firecat was a big deal because the whole raid tier and a whole leveling zone was dedicated to helping the druids vs the Twilight Hammer and the druids of the Flame. We haven't had anything like that since so I don't see a compelling story reason for doing the work. I think it's cool when we get stuff like that, but I don't think it should just get to happen all the time cause we got it once.

imverykind wrote:Whats the big difference between the shapshifting form and the other races? Is it really so much work?

Gear for actual races has a lot of work built in. For a reskin of our forms would be the same as making a whole extra tier plus some. They have to do all the textures, the coloring, the shading, and then the animations. Then they have to be tested with all of the model attack/falling/emote animations. It's not trivial. Doing that just for the sake of doing it would make other people jealous. Doing so with out a story tie in would just upset people more. I wouldn't expect anything this expansion either as it is likely going to be very shaman focused.

imverykind wrote:You must admit, that apperiance is a big part in an RPG. But whatever, it looks like they regret the druid class, because of their additional shapeshifting ability, which is nonconform with other classes.

Sure I think visual appearance is very important for an RPG. But you have to look at it from a different angle. We have 6 or 7 different forms available to us. All have animations, and unique effects. How awesome is it that we can use all of those right out of the box with out requiring running a tier forever. We have 2 swim forms (one just this expac), 2 travel forms (another also this expac), 2 Tree forms (glyph and mutated broccoli), Cat Form (for 2 races), Bear form (for 2 races), Boomkin form (for 2 races but old) and our bad ass flight form. If you have been around as long as I have Advanced Flight form was an amazing quest chain. Even better your first flight form was learned for 3 gold and let you buypass the first 1000g flying pass everyone else had to buy. That was a lot of cash back then.

As druids we have had, and still have lots of advantages and a lot of custom work done for us all the time. Sure I would love to be able to customize my kitty form more. However it isn't that big a deal that they are focusing most of the flash stuff for everyone right now. Hell I am happy that having the name Tinderhoof since near the start of BC that they made me a puurfect avatar/mantle to match my name.

imverykind wrote:Edit: Btw the polymorph change will only effect you out of your shapeshift. You will be storing the polymorph but it will not show it in the shapeshifted form. Tbh i couldn't care less, because i almost never out of my shape, but it would make sense for the RP community
Tinderhoof wrote: In WoD we are going to have costumes not be removed by shapshifting which is nice.

Well aware. That's why I wrote it this way. Achievements like do 5 battlegrounds in a gnome costume are now no longer a major pain in the ass. I still think the excuse is lame due to our energy/mana/rage bars being exposed, so I don't buy it. But it is what it is.

Postby Alsoria » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:27 am

Anyone attending any dinners in particular? I know World of Podcasts was setting something up. I'm there with my guild so I'll probably get dragged around a bit.

Postby Alsoria » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:19 am

So those going where are you staying?

I'm at the Anabella and will probably hit up the WoWHead party Thursday.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:22 am

I am likely to crash the World of Postcasts event, and the WoWHead party. Look for the Viking wearing a Last Word T-shirt.

Postby Alsoria » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:I am likely to crash the World of Postcasts event, and the WoWHead party. Look for the Viking wearing a Last Word T-shirt.

lol I'll keep an eye out for ya!

I'm staying there with around 12 other raid team members so we'll probably be down for the party.

Return to Off-Topic Discussion