Register

People on the Forums Gone Crazy!!!

This and that.
Revered

People on the Forums Gone Crazy!!!

Postby Qbear » Thu May 19, 2011 6:31 pm

Not these forums mind ya, the wow forums. Not sure if you've seen the new paid server Blizz is offering where you can group from same faction members on your realid cross server for 5mans. I saw the post didn't think much about it, I know I'm not going to buy it cause most of the people I really consider friends on this game I already play with; however, theres rioting in the streets.

RIOTS!!!!

Thoughts?!

Re: People on the Forums Gone Crazy!!!

Postby Annalese » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 pm

For most people, the wording of "premium content" reeks of microtransaction based MMOs, where you pay real life cash for in-game things: anything from XP to gear to cosmetic stuff. So, based on the wording alone and nothing else, people are upset that Blizzard might be taking a route toward possible microtransactions: especially for a feature that has been asked for for a while and seems like a game-effecting ability outside of cosmetic vanity pets and mounts.

I can understand why they would be upset if its the case, but I would rather wait and see what and how Blizzard plans on implementing this. With nothing more than three sentences to go on, there's not much we can really go on, and shouldn't get upset over something we know nothing about.

I can think of a couple questions off the top of my head that has nothing to do with the possibility of the price:

Do all people grouping up need to be RealID friends of each other? If Bob and Adam are RealID friends, but Susan is just a guildmade of Bob, would they be able to do dungeons together? Can two to four people who partner up via RealID be able to queue for a random dungeon together, much like you would with a guild group?

I don't know if I'd use this feature too much; I'm primarily a raider, and don't run 5 mans too often outside of occasional runs for a friend's alt or to do the Call to Arms tank queue. It might be kinda cool to catch up with my friends on my old server and hang out with them that way, but I wouldn't consider it game-breaking. Though at the same time, I would have trouble accepting Blizzard's rationale for Premium based content if they are NOT going free-to-play, much like Lord of the Rings Online did.

I'll wait to make a call on it when Blizzard releases more information on it.

Postby Lax » Fri May 20, 2011 5:14 pm

I think its only a problem when the paid extra services gives you an advantage over other players in the game. Switching races, factions and buying combat pets are all fine imo.

But a service like the remote AH is not.

For some players making gold, playing the AH, is what WoW is about. Buying the ability to control the AH with your mobile phone really gives you an advantage over other players. Thats not fair and not a good direction to go for the game.

Honored

Postby Morghan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 pm

Is the Remote Auction House app for the phones any different than us being able to log into the wow armory with our account info and use the AH?

I haven't used either functionality so this is an honest question, no sarcasm intended.

Revered

Postby Qbear » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:43 pm

Logging into armory then browsing auctions is the same premium service as the phase app. Basically you pay the whatever price for the app and you get 2 ways to use it.

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 pm

When Blizz opened up the Remote AH on the armory they gave a free trial up to May 10th. In that time I made a few thousand gold just by peaking in while at work. It is an unfair advantage to those that are not paying for the extra content outside of game. IMO the remote AH should either be free to all or not be at all. Not because I won't pay but because others can't make the extra 3 bucks work and it's not an option for them so therfore unfair. The guild chat is a good idea as well but as my wife said "They say on the loading screen to go out and play with your friends in RL as well but here they are keeping you hooked outside of the game". Too true.
A GOOD PLAN VIOLENTLY EXECUTED NOW IS BETTER THAN A PERFECT PLAN EXECUTED NEXT WEEK.
GEORGE S. PATTON

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/akama/bigtwohorns/simple

Return to General Discussion