Register

Are Ovale Scripts Cheating?

This and that.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Are Ovale Scripts Cheating?

Postby Spritzup » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:19 pm

I've been thinking about this for the last few days. I recently subbed in for a 25-man Nef kill with my guild. As I usually run 10's, it was my first opportunity in ages to go against another feral. i-level wise, we were identical, and at the end of the kill he was 150 dps up on me.

However, I use an ovale script, and assuming he doesn't, is this really like cheating?

I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this :)

Honored

Re: Are Ovale Scripts Cheating?

Postby felhoof » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:23 pm

No. You still have to press the buttons, you still have to decide when the ovale script is useful or not, etc.

Honestly an ovale script at this point is probably overkill. Taking out FB of the equation and having ridiculously longer durations on rip, rake and SR (and SR dropping not being so huge a deal anyway) having simply a dot monitor is pretty close to the usefulness of a move suggestor. It helps - especially when combining things like TF/berserk and procs from trinkets and the like - but it's not so critical any more and (as you point out) it doesn't help necessarily top meters like it used to.

I think it starts going into cheating when the decisions that are made by the script are both so profoundly better than what a human would normally do and result in massive boosts to damage that the script is basically required. That was getting close to being the case in WotLK, especially with Ulduar-level gear. It's not any more.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Yeah, as it's not playing the game for you, if you think about it it's no worse than other mods people complain about, like DBM, BigWigs, etc. The only thing I really like about Ovale with Leafkiller's script is for good times to use FC/Ravage, but again any dot watcher can do it for you, our "rotation" is so simplistic nowdays you probably could do decent dps with no addon at all.

Postby Fate » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:26 am

I thought the FC/ravage decisions were pretty straightforward, based on Berserk, TF, Rip timers, and avoiding energy capping. Does it watch for a near-expiry Rip? I'm pretty sure it doesn't try to line up TF on the Ravage, at any rate (which I try to do, all else permitting).

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Fate wrote:I thought the FC/ravage decisions were pretty straightforward, based on Berserk, TF, Rip timers, and avoiding energy capping. Does it watch for a near-expiry Rip? I'm pretty sure it doesn't try to line up TF on the Ravage, at any rate (which I try to do, all else permitting).

My Ovale script does hold off on casting Ravage! until either TF is up or it is close to expiring. Separate from that there is a cooldown box that tells you when it is possible to FC - which includes knowing if you are in range to do so.

Postby archury » Mon May 16, 2011 5:39 pm

Spritzup wrote:However, I use an ovale script, and assuming he doesn't, is this really like cheating?

IMO, if used as a learning tool, no. If not used as a learning tool, yes.

Either way, it's about what you want. An ovale script is useful for learning your priorities. Once you know them, you're better off without it.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:29 pm

I think Ovale falls into the same category as DBM. Both mods provide assistance that is not already present in-game; just different kinds of assistance. I think it's pretty clear that the game mechanics are designed around the use of mods (hello, Defile!), so I have zero problems using it.

That said, I've kind of picked up Yawning's attitude...it's more fun tweaking the script then it is actually playing, sometimes. :)

Return to General Discussion