Register

Question about mastery

Face-rippin fun.

Question about mastery

Postby Antioch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:56 am

Hey guys and gals, so quick question.... I've yet to find a clear answer on this and a quick ticket to a GM left me almost more confused following his response. So what im wondering is does mastery only count at each full point?
To elaborate, if i currently have 19.84 mastery, is the .84 wasted points and should i be reforging it away to my next best secondary so that i can be as close to 19.00 as possible without going below?

Honored

Re: Question about mastery

Postby Mihir » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:47 am

No, every fraction is counted. You can easily check by putting rake on a target dummy, then reforging away a little mastery and raking a target dummy again.

Postby Antioch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:29 am

As i had thought, or hoped at least :) According to the GM his understanding was that it only counted at each full point and that the fractions were only an indicator as to when you would reach the next full point. He did say he was unsure of this though and to post on the blizz forums.
I came here instead :)
Thanks for the speedy reply and for saving me the effort of testing myself

Honored

Postby felhoof » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:34 pm

Note that this depends on which class/spec you're using; boomkin get no benefit from fractional mastery, for example.

Revered

Postby Qbear » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:59 am

It's actually simple mastery increases by full percentages but not by full points of mastery to test it simply reforge or equip the piece with mastery then mouse over your master in your char sheet the tooltip will correct itself. Increase bleed damage by 57% then 58% and that can be done by simply going from 17 master to 17.25 (I don't know how much 17 increase mastery by that was just made up example)

Postby CaptainCub » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:00 am

felhoof wrote:Note that this depends on which class/spec you're using; boomkin get no benefit from fractional mastery, for example.

Did you test it yourself? I don't know the spec specifically but I see no reason why balance should work differently from all other specs in that regard. People read too much into the character sheet, that rounds numbers down. Same with expertise rating for instance, partial points do count. It's just the UI that's inaccurate.

Postby Beanna » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:31 am

I ran some tests myself a while ago with my alts and as far as I remember every fraction was counted for every class I tested in many spec.

Honored

Postby felhoof » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Did you test it yourself? I don't know the spec specifically but I see no reason why balance should work differently from all other specs in that regard. People read too much into the character sheet, that rounds numbers down. Same with expertise rating for instance, partial points do count. It's just the UI that's inaccurate.
I've not tested moonkin breakdowns, but every single moonkin theorycrafter I've talked to (and everyone at EJ) takes this as gospel. It's not just the UI they're going off of.

That being said, it appears to be going away in 4.1:
og message

Reverting the floor of the Balance Mastery.

I have personally tested this on the PTR with a 0/0/0 Balance Druid.
I removed all trinkets and anything else that would proc extra buffs.
I used the default pre-made gear. It has 12.52 Mastery.
The default tool-tip value of Insect Swarm was 5040 damage over 12 seconds. The
default tool-tip value of Entangling Roots was 5200 over 30 seconds. Ticks were
the expected values.
I cast Starfire to proc a Solar Eclipse.
The tooltip value for the buff said 50%.
Insect Swarm tool-tip now said 7566 over 12 and Entangling Roots was 7800 over
30. Actual ticks matched the expected values.
I then reforged 1 item from Crit to Mastery. Mastery went from 12.52 to 12.85.
I didn't cancel the existing Eclipse and the tool-tip for the buff was still at
50% (even removing lots of Mastery get the buff tooltip at 50%). However the
tool-tips for Insect Swarm and Entangling Roots changed to 7596 over 12 and 7840
respectively. And ticks also increased.

At 12.85 Mastery the unfloored value would be 50.70% compared to the 50.04%
before the reforge and dmg DID increase. Thus there is NO such flooring of
Mastery.

As such, I have reverted the change.

So it was that way, but it will not be that way in the future.

Honored

Postby Arctagon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:28 pm

As already stated, every fraction is counted. I ran a few tests today on some things that had caught my interest, and at the same time I could tell that this was the case. I manually calculated what my Rake and Rip should tick for with only mastery affecting them, and it was consistent with what I observed in-game.

What I'm really here for is something on the same subject. I just don't like creating new threads solely for small questions like this. Does anyone know the exact mastery percentage scaling coefficient? 3.1%, as it says in-game, is obviously not sufficient when I'm after the exact value. Based on numbers from Wowhead I get 3.13%, which seems to be fairly accurate, although the exact value should be slightly less.
Last edited by Arctagon on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Revered

Postby ShmooDude » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Qbear wrote:It's actually simple mastery increases by full percentages but not by full points of mastery to test it simply reforge or equip the piece with mastery then mouse over your master in your char sheet the tooltip will correct itself. Increase bleed damage by 57% then 58% and that can be done by simply going from 17 master to 17.25 (I don't know how much 17 increase mastery by that was just made up example)

Actually I highly doubt that. Remember, tooltips are highly inaccurate. Blizzard keeps them simple (on purpose).

1299 mastery (15.25) gives me 4061-4062 Rake Ticks
1301 mastery (15.26) gives me 4062-4063 Rake Ticks

I couldn't find any gear that'd give me a 1 mastery rating difference but it probably wouldn't have done anything anyhow.

I don't know about Boomkins but since this is the Kitty DPS area I figured I'd give people concrete numbers. Every point of mastery *rating* counts; just like expertise.

Return to Kitty DPS