Register

Upgrades to consider

Face-rippin fun.
Honored

Upgrades to consider

Postby Andanas » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... s/advanced

There are several items I am looking to get with valor points. The problem is deciding which ones to buy first. In the past I'd use Rawr to help me with those decisions, but Rawr has become pretty complicated in that if you don't set it up just right, it'll give you info you know is wrong (like gemming all mastery). So I decided to use Mew. After I plugged in my current stats, talents, trinkets, buffs, etc. It gave me my current DPS as 19,403.

The upgrades I'm looking at are:

Viewless Wings (http://www.wowhead.com/item=58191) - Cloak
Treads of Fleeting Joy (http://www.wowhead.com/item=58482) - Boots
Hornet Sting Band (http://www.wowhead.com/item=68812) - Ring
Stormrider's Raiment (http://www.wowhead.com/item=60287) - T11 Chest (Would give me 2pc bonus)
Fluid Death (http://www.wowhead.com/item=58181) - Trinket

With Mew I decided for each piece to adjust my stats in Mew based on what I gained or lost with each piece, using the what it shows that you will gain or lose when you mouse over the item in comparison to what you currently have. For example I have 4064 agility, and 1399 crit rating. If a piece gave me +22 agi, and - 30 crit, I'd change my stats to 4086 agility, and 1369 crit. I did this for every stat that showed a gain or a loss, and with the trinket or t11 chest, I did check (or uncheck) the appropriate boxes. I don't know how accurate this is, as it does ignore reforging and geming. But right now I don't know of a better way.

Before I did all this, my initial gut reaction was to go for the chest piece. After doing all this in Mew, these are the DPS results for each piece.

Original: 19,403
Chest: 19,898
Ring : 19,499
Boots: 19,488
Cloak: 19,473
Trinket: 19,464

I know this is becoming a long winded post, but am I using Mew in the correct manner here? Do you guys agree with the DPS value I got from each item? Any and all other advice would be appreciated. One final note. I'm in a casual guild who is only doing 10 mans, and right now we are only working on BWD, and have had our first kill of Atramedes normal last night. So upgrades from BoT or TotFW are not available yet.

Exalted

Re: Upgrades to consider

Postby Leafkiller » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Are you using formulation or simulation for your numbers? Simulation is far more reliable - and should be used since you are talking about how to spend a resource (Valor points) that is valuable to you. Also, if you are using my Ovale script to help drive your rotation, then I recommend you use the simulation script that is in the second post of my Ovale script thread. If not, then just use the default simulation script that comes with mew.

Your methodology sounds reasonable. You should include reforging in your calculations (and gemming with regards to the T-11 chest). For example, Fluid Death should be calculated with 128 mastery and 193 hit as you are undervaluing it in your calculations. For reforged values multiply by 40% and then truncate. The main stat to consider for reforging is Mastery - if the item does not have mastery on it (tier chest and Fluid Death) then include reforging in your calculations.

You guild will likely get the first two bosses in BoT very soon - both are easier than Atramedes - so you should have access to the Halfus boots (although in my guild Halfus never dropped the 359 boots for us so you never know).

Looking at your gear and results the tier chest does look like the best bet right now. The trinket and ring are good choices to follow that up with as you will get those sooner or later and use them for some time. For the cloak you are better off with the one from Meloriak - so prioritize that to be after the other items (you can also try to buy the boe cloak off of the AH as it is clearly better than the 346 you are wearing).

Postby Darkrealm » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:09 pm

My 2 cents

The chest looks to be your best bet in the absence of the Atramedies drop in which case you would probably be better off getting the gloves for 2pc (due to them being cheaper VP). I went for the chest because I know that in my own guild Atramedies tends to be the boss we skip if we are down on time.

Don't waste VP on the boots they are not that good, can be bought for gold and have better alternatives dropping off Halfus as Leafkiller pointed out.

As for rings they drop off ODS and Council of Wind, two reasonably easy bosses so no point spending VP on those either.

The trinket, Fluid Death is really nice and should probably be your third choice, followed by the Cloak although you might be lucky and pick a better one up of Maloriak.

As a side note, Belt of Nefarious Whispers is cheap these days as is Unheeded Warning (relatively... although you might get lucky) which is BiS.

Honored

Postby Andanas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:00 am

Leafkiller wrote:Are you using formulation or simulation for your numbers? Simulation is far more reliable - and should be used since you are talking about how to spend a resource (Valor points) that is valuable to you. Also, if you are using my Ovale script to help drive your rotation, then I recommend you use the simulation script that is in the second post of my Ovale script thread. If not, then just use the default simulation script that comes with mew.
I was using formulation. I use your Ovale script in the Ovale addon. But as far as your script for the Mew program, I have no idea how to install it.
Leafkiller wrote:Your methodology sounds reasonable. You should include reforging in your calculations (and gemming with regards to the T-11 chest). For example, Fluid Death should be calculated with 128 mastery and 193 hit as you are undervaluing it in your calculations. For reforged values multiply by 40% and then truncate. The main stat to consider for reforging is Mastery - if the item does not have mastery on it (tier chest and Fluid Death) then include reforging in your calculations.
Yea, I knew my method would not include reforging, but I didn't know how to add that in, so thanks for the tip.

Honored

Postby Arctagon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:47 pm

Darkrealm wrote:As a side note, Belt of Nefarious Whispers is cheap these days as is Unheeded Warning (relatively... although you might get lucky) which is BiS.

Depends on what you regard as cheap, though. I for one don't think 10k gold - referring to Unheeded Warning - is very cheap.

Reforgings (and enchants for that matter) aren't very difficult to add in. We know that 40% of the stat will go to the new stat, while 60% will remain. The amount reforged away will always be rounded down to the closest integer, while the remaining amount will either be rounded up or down in order to make the total amount equal to that of the original amount. So if you have 202 of a stat which is going to be reforged, 202 * 0.4 = 80.8 = 80 of it would be reforged, while 202 * 0.6 = 121.2 = 122 would be left. Just manually calculate the reforgings and put the results into Mew.

I have a few questions regarding Valor Points upgrades myself. Aside from upgrades based on individual values, I assume one would want to go for the 2 piece bonus first. Correct? I have also seen many who decide to go with the epic relic very early; is this a wise decision? If yes, why? Relics are the gear pieces with the smallest amount of stats, which implies that the upgrade would correspondingly be quite small. Lastly, do one usually want to get Fluid Death (and perhaps the relic?) in between the two set bonuses?

Postby CaptainCub » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Arctagon wrote:I have a few questions regarding Valor Points upgrades myself. Aside from upgrades based on individual values, I assume one would want to go for the 2 piece bonus first. Correct?

Yes clearly

Arctagon wrote:I have also seen many who decide to go with the epic relic very early; is this a wise decision? If yes, why? Relics are the gear pieces with the smallest amount of stats, which implies that the upgrade would correspondingly be quite small.

You are correct. Personally it was my first purchase because I got both tier pants and gloves to drop from Argaloth in the first 3-weeks. 8-) And none of the two 346 agility idols would drop for me, so I cheated fate and bought the epic idol, although it would've been wiser to buy Fluid Death first.

Arctagon wrote:Lastly, do one usually want to get Fluid Death (and perhaps the relic?) in between the two set bonuses?

If one of your trinkets is bad, why not? 4-piece bonus is scaling with gear, so it's not as big an upgrade at lower gear levels.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:11 pm

10k definitely isn't hard to come by at all, if anything you can sell off the boe epics from raid drops and have enough easily (or if you're lucky, UW will drop for you in BoT, I know we've got more than enough of those things that no one else likes besides me).

On topic, I'd go with the gloves or chest for the t2 bonus, then aim for the trinket and maybe ring as 3rd if you haven't gotten any by then. Cloak and boots should be prioritized last, as superior drops compared to them drop off 2 relatively easy bosses, Maloriak and Halfus; hell I'd even work on offset before wasting vp to grab them.

Honored

Postby Arctagon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 pm

shinryu wrote:10k definitely isn't hard to come by at all, if anything you can sell off the boe epics from raid drops and have enough easily (or if you're lucky, UW will drop for you in BoT, I know we've got more than enough of those things that no one else likes besides me).

I can afford it, but I don't like to be low on gold, which is the reason I haven't bought it yet, and I still have my hopes for it dropping in BoT. I think I must do more BHs as well. Grr.

Honored

Postby Mandragaran » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:23 pm

Mew is a pain in the arse.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes... I'm grumpy.

Postby Darkrealm » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:54 pm

It's a bit of topic but its interesting to note the different attitudes people have to gold, VP and raid boss loot.

All should be treated the same way - as limited resourses to be allocated effeciently as possible.

With regards to gold I've noticed people tend to; a) hoard it, or b) disregard it as a means for getting epics. But consider that gold is the only resource in the game for which there is no weekly cap. Where it may take 3 weeks to buy a VP trinket like Fluid Death, with a weeks grinding you could buy the BiS Unheeded Warning and (if you are dedicated) the epic crafter belt (your own mats plus cheap orbs makes this a cheap item). The VP boots are another good example (not the feral ones, the Moonkin ones perhaps), you can spend several weeks worth of VP on them, or one week worth of gold farming to buy them from someone else.

With VP its amazing how many people spend their first 700 VP on the relic (when you consider that at that stage of gearing it takes 10 days of daily heroics to get that relic). It's like VP burns a whole in their pockets. I also think people over-estimate the chances that they will get tier gear from BH. No doubt some people have, but the drop rates suggest you could be waiting a while. Buying a relic because you think BH will drop tier is not good odds ;)

Then there is raid boss loot. I've made mistakes here before. I bought the Valor Boots for Gold (at least I didnt waste valor on them) without taking into account that better ones drop off Halfus. Since then I've tried to pay more attention to what I'm buying.

Apologies if this sounds lecturing, but I guess the main point I want to make is that gold should be spent, like VP, where it will be the most benefit and quite often, grinding for gold will yield more benefits than anything else

Return to Kitty DPS