Register

Thoughts - Tiny Abom in a Jar

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Thoughts - Tiny Abom in a Jar

Postby Purecadence » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:53 pm

So everywhere i read states how much this damn trinket is.

The better has got to me and was wondering about it. We had it drop last week and i got the rogue who won it to lend it for me (Yay for being able to trade back within 2hrs). So i started playing,

Worked out on a 8sec average for 8 motes to go off hitting for 1800-2100 damage. The tiny abom comes with 85 hit on it also. Right now im using 3 x JC gems to obtain my hit. By allowing me to have the 85 hit from the trinket it would allow me to change my 34 hit gems into 34 armor pen gems, meaning im gaining 102 armor pen.

According to rawr my armor pen in a raid is worth 2.4 dps per armor pen. This means 102 armor pen would give me a gain of 245 dps and the proc would give me a 244 dps increase. This coming to a total of 489dps from the trinket.

In saying this rawr currently puts my whispering skull from 10m Deathwhisper at 470dps. This means the abom is a dps upgrade over the whispering skull.

Anyway if someone would like to comment. I would like to see others oppinion of it.

Re: Thoughts - Tiny Abom in a Jar

Postby octechx » Tue May 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Tiny abom procs a basic melee swing not weapon damage, the hit rating doesn't really compare to other options availible, I suppose if you had really low hit R and no badges this would be ok, But its really designed more for weapon damage not paw damage. This is a teribad trinket for ferals. The mark of suprem has more hit and a better dps per 5 min rating, I'd go this route or the needle encrusted to start with. Dump the abom if you do some research you'll see what i mean.

Postby Purecadence » Wed May 12, 2010 6:24 pm

As i posted in my first post that the damage was the actual damage i did, not that it would apparently hit for.

You suggest the mark of surpremancy. It actually doesnt give us a higher dps output then the abom in my testing. The surpremancy gives a 72dps increase. The abom from my testing is giving me a 245 dps from the proc alone. Therefore the abom is much better then the surpremancy

If we were to get the abom and compare it against Whispering Skull, then it shows up a 200dps lost. But when you work out the gain of the 102 armor pen i would gain by running the abom. Then the abom comes out on top.

I know this wont come close to DBW. But at the moment the only good option i have Whispering Skull.

Oh i have all 3 armor pen procing trinkets but when im at just under 80% armor pen already the dps gain off them is horrible.

I plan on taking the abom next drop. Last 2 times it was de'd cause all the dps wanting it has it. So at a small cost of ep i can do some solid theorycrafting it on a good dps fight.

Thats when i will truely know the dps increase of trinket.

Postby octechx » Thu May 13, 2010 9:41 am

Before I deleted mine 2 weeks ago. I tested 3 10 minute sessions of auto attack with the needle encrusted, tiny abom, pyrite infusor and the mark.

The following was
mark of supreme, pressed on every cooldown
1372-dps
1342-dps
1372-dps

the tiny abom was
total 3432 divided by 3= 1144 is formula for average dps

the pyrite was

total 3722 divided by 3= 1240.666666 is formula for average dps

the needle was total 3824 divides by 3= 1274 is formula for average dps

Postby octechx » Thu May 13, 2010 9:57 am

Sorry forgot to link mark

mark was 4086 divided by 3 =1362 is formula for average dps.

Formulas were developed by capturing multiple sessions adding the data together then dividing by the amount of sessions you had.

Now my gear is different than yours and I'm sure my hit rating differs as well. So my numbers will not reflect your outcome. This is just my data base on MELEE AUTO ATTACK SESSIONS not normal dps rotations.

Use that data as you will. In my case the tiny abom was a dps loss.I'm still hoping to upgrade my mark but I'm finding proper use of my mark is providing very bursty dps. The abom is not horrible if it's working with your build then keep it rolling. Post some averages so we can discuss more on it.

Elitest has a great review on this trinket and why at high end raiding it's not within the top 5 trinkets.

Postby Purecadence » Thu May 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Yer once i get it then i can do some proper testing.

Something your auto attacks wont include is your specials. Each special is another chance for a mote, also in a raid your getting 20% haste from a shaman or dk and hero. So this will also increase the mote production.

Once i get it, ill borrow a shaman for a test. That should give me some proper numbers.

Mind you i played with some hit reduction last night and reduced my hit down to 189 from the 231 i was at (Dranei gave me cap). Im running another 6% armor pen from dropping that 42 hit. From what i could tell last night it gave me a dps increase. Over the whole festergut heroic fight i missed 2 shreds and 5 melee hits.

This would mean that the hit and armor pen swap which would give me extra dps i worked out with the abom would then be void. Therefore not worth it.

If i deside to go back to the hit cap then thats where the abom is going to fit in.

Return to Kitty DPS