Register

Need some advice from a pro. : )

Face-rippin fun.

Need some advice from a pro. : )

Postby possycat » Fri May 06, 2011 6:00 am

Hi guys nice place you have here : )

I have played my druid for a while now but only resto, I just recently got myself some Dps gear together and have been trying to get to grips with my inner kitty.

i'm getting used to the rotation now and feel like im getting better at that all the time but i do see other druids with equal gear to mine doing 2-3 k more dps, it might just be me being slow on the rotation or something but i was wondering if someone could have a look at my gear and see if im doing it right just so i know im on the right track as far as the gear is concerned.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... cat/simple

if anyone could take 10mins to give me some adivce i would really appreciate it thanks : )

Revered

Re: Need some advice from a pro. : )

Postby shinryu » Fri May 06, 2011 6:35 am

Well just from a quick glance (it's late, so I don't want to try giving any major advice while tired least I miss something), unlike more traditional melee classes, hit and expertise suck for feral, so all the reforging you have into hit and expertise...yeah, gonna have to drop them. Reforge stuff into Mastery, first get rid of it on your 2 weakest stats (again, hit and expertise), then from there you'd have to run it through rawr or mew or something to see from there...at your point of gear, I'd honestly reforge haste then if you have a choice between crit/haste to reforge to mastery. But yeah, bottom line is that mastery rules pretty much, only agil is higher ranked really. Gems look good for the most part, only thing I would change on them is dropping the purple in the shoulders for just another agil one.

Other than that, I'd recommend giving this a read-over for a nice comprehensive overview: http://fluiddruid.net/the-fluid-druid-4 ... dps-guide/

And if you're having any trouble managing your rotation, something like ovale and leafkiller's script can help a lot in learning and managing it, here's another link: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64

Hope that helps...think it's time for a "cat nap" now :lol:

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Fri May 06, 2011 9:25 am

1st WELCOME to the forums.
What Shin said about expertise is the so true. In fact you are over the expertise cap. Yes you will not be dodged but we attack so fast and get energy refunded blah blah blah…… Don’t ever gem, enchant, or reforge for hit/expertise.
Gear
You have selected the correct pieces. Just keep pushing into raids and get valor point gear.

Gems
Change shoulder. You went for socket bonus of 10 AGI which in the end means you traded 10 agi for 20 hit. Not a good trade.

Enchant
Get 1 of the top 2 strength enchants on gloves. Get your Therazane up and enchant shoulders(I see you are working on this). BUT you are high enough to get there lower enchant. GET IT. And change wrists to AGI.

Reforging
Head – EXP->mastery
Neck – No reforging
Shoulders – Hit->Mastery
Back – Hit->Crit
Chest – EXP->Mastery
Wrists – No reforging
Hands – Hit->Mastery
Belt – Haste->Crit
Legs – EXP->Crit
Feet – Exp->Crit
Ring1 – Hit->Mastery
Ring2 – No reforging
Trink1 – Crit->Mastery
Trink2 – No reforging
Weapon – No Reforging
Relic – Haste->Mastery

Spec
Drop a point from IW and put it in Pred Strikes. Also drop a point from either Furor or Primal Madness and put that in Pred Strikes

Glyphs(Must haves)
Prime –Tiger’s Fury, Rip, Shred
Major – Feral Charge

Optional but recommended
Major – Barkskin, Rebirth
Minor – Unburdened Rebirth

All of this will get you about 1K DPS increase. So go to the training dummy and practice. Make sure you are tracking your DOTs and refreshing at the best time. Always be behind the target. Hope this helps. Sorry so sloppy I did all this on my phone at breakfast so I am sure there are a lot of miss-spellings.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Honored

Postby felhoof » Fri May 06, 2011 1:41 pm

What Shin said about expertise is the so true. In fact you are over the expertise cap. Yes you will not be dodged but we attack so fast and get energy refunded blah blah blah…… Don’t ever gem, enchant, or reforge for hit/expertise.
This is flat out, 100% WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Expertise and hit are not horrible for ferals. They're not even 'bad' for ferals. They are simply not optimal in some (not all, just SOME) gear setups and in some fights. And it turns out they're actually optimal in others. In any case, there is very, very little difference in DPS even in the best cases when going for hit/exp vs crit/haste, and for many people they will see a DPS increase if hit/exp capped due to reaction time, different fight needs (such as attacking from the front, burst damage on adds), and feeling better about their rotation.

You shouldn't reforge to expertise over mastery; mastery is about 10-20% better depending on your gear. However, it's totally fine to reforge to expertise or hit something like crit or haste. It is very much your preference. Keep these things in mind:

you should never, ever go above 26 expertise. that is the boss expertise cap. It's significantly lower if you're doing just heroics, too.
You should never, ever go above 8% hit. that's the boss hit cap for melee attacks. It's significantly lower if you're doing just heroics, too.
All your gear should as a cat have mastery. If it doesn't, reforge it from whatever to mastery.

After that, crit,haste, exp and hit (assuming you're below the cap) are so close in most situations that it's entirely your preference. If you have good reaction time and tend to fight mostly single target, stand still bosses crit early, then haste is better than hit/exp. If you have a lot of target swapping or your reaction time isn't perfect hit/exp are better.

Note that if you're primarily interested in boosting swipe damage, mastery is poor; you want crit primarily.

You shouldn't ever gem expertise; always gem agility. You shouldn't enchant expertise when agility or mastery are options. Reforging, however, is fine as long as you're not able to reforge for mastery.

Postby cynrh » Fri May 06, 2011 2:01 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that all those simulators assume perfect play, meaning if you "miss" a Rip they will always automatically notice and re-try Rip. We as humans may not instantly notice the miss every time, and may lose Rip ticks here and there as a result. Plenty of other scenarios - not realizing a 3rd Shred missed, and losing the bonus Rip tick; etc. So the result is, the RSV's for Hit and Expertise have an uncalculated "up side" to them that is not reflected in their simulated value because the simulators do not factor in human error (and these two stats directly reduce the # of times human error can come into play), as opposed to Crit and Haste which are 100% reflected in their value.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Fri May 06, 2011 2:24 pm

felhoof wrote:
This is flat out, 100% WRONG WRONG WRONG.

quote]

What? You sir should calm down. Your own argument invalidates your 100% claim. Since you your self stated the benifits of haste/crit. How many people coming to these forums asking for help are going to run back to SW between fights and reforge gear for the next fight? How many people are going to carry 2 complete Ketteh sets on them that are gemmed and reforged differently per boss fight? Does hit/exp makes the rotation easier? Yes it does but people arn't asking how can i make it easier they are asking how can i do more DPS. Number 1 is to be flawless in your execution of the rotation. Which i mentioned. Number 2 is to have a proper gear set up. Since i don't believe a cat in purps and blues has a bunch of copies laying around Crit/Haste is the way to go. Go ahead, max out your hit/exp and smoke me on add phases of H Maloriak. I am going to go crit haste and top u on chim.

Or,

We can look at the OP who is still doing heroics and spend more time with the rotation and the accepted crit/haste way of getting things done.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Honored

Postby felhoof » Fri May 06, 2011 2:53 pm

There's a lot of hyperbole about how HORRIBLE expertise is or hit is.

And that's wrong. Really, simply, truly wrong.

Crit/haste is accepted but it's incorrect for the majority of the raids out there. Any fight that has target switching? it's worse. Any fight that has adds that die within 20-30 seconds? It's worse. It's only really good for one fight in total: Chim.

What? You sir should calm down. Your own argument invalidates your 100% claim. Since you your self stated the benifits of haste/crit. How many people coming to these forums asking for help are going to run back to SW between fights and reforge gear for the next fight? How many people are going to carry 2 complete Ketteh sets on them that are gemmed and reforged differently per boss fight?
I don't care, because that's not my point. They don't need to. There's no real significant difference overall between haste/crit and hit/exp capping as far as DPS goes. It's certainly not HORRIBLE like shinryu says, and the sooner we can get away from judging people as bads because they hit/exp cap, the better.

My point is that for some people, haste/crit will be better. For others, hit/exp will be better. This is not fight dependent - it's person dependent. And it's a personal decision that has reasonable justification in either case. They don't need to reforge every fight and they don't need to have two or more sets. They can choose one strategy or the other and know that either is perfectly reasonable and likely optimal provided they're choosing for the right reasons.

Which i mentioned. Number 2 is to have a proper gear set up. Since i don't believe a cat in purps and blues has a bunch of copies laying around Crit/Haste is the way to go. Go ahead, max out your hit/exp and smoke me on add phases of H Maloriak. I am going to go crit haste and top u on chim.

Or,

We can look at the OP who is still doing heroics and spend more time with the rotation and the accepted crit/haste way of getting things done.
I'd probably just smoke you on both. :p Or (more likely) I wouldn't care about my performance on either if they were on farm and look into optimizing what I'm on currently.

If you're looking into getting into doing the rotation well and right, the best way to start that IS with capping hit/exp. It takes significant difficulty out of the rotation and removes a lot of the edge cases that can get someone.

But no, I don't believe in using hyperbole to tell someone how to do things. I'll tell them the right answer but I'd rather also tell them WHY. Short answers are for the wow forums. People should come here to get more indepth answers, and verbiage like 'x is horrible' when that's just flat-out wrong has no place here.

Postby Lorclonil » Fri May 06, 2011 2:56 pm

Or, wait for it, don't do anything! Sure, you'll want to reforge your highest non-mastery secondary stat to mastery, but, leave the rest alone. If you know you're going to be working on progression for Heroic Maloriak tonight, reforge to some hit (expertise if you feel like you'll be in front of the adds a lot) and crit. If you know you're working on Chimaeron, reforge to crit and haste. Another thing is just reforge to mastery and leave everything else alone.

Reforge to increase the damage for the fights you're struggling with. There is no "one-size-fits-all".

Edit: Was typing this when Felhoof responded.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Fri May 06, 2011 3:12 pm

I will concede the point about my hyperbole. They have def come up in importance. I have been running 1,000,000 iterations of Mew(thank god for 2nd PC) and they are virtually the same. But this is with my 359/372 gear. The OP is(WAS he/she reforged) over the exp cap for raiding. Way over for heroics. The info I gave them was off a couple 50K iterations through Mew. So i will stand by the changes I gave them but agree with you on the benifits of hit/Exp. Maybe it is time for a front page article revisting hit/exp Vs. Crit/Haste. I think Leaf is working on a 4.1 boss by boss article for min/maxing the fight.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Fri May 06, 2011 3:13 pm

And Welcome Lorclonil.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri May 06, 2011 4:58 pm

...I think we may have scared (or scarred maybe?) our new friend XD

Revered

Postby Qbear » Fri May 06, 2011 5:35 pm

haha I need some advice from a pro:)

Hi I'm new here help plz....

Sure do this this and this and ur good!

NO U IDIOT DON"T DO THIS HE NEEDS TO DO THIS

but WAIT this is totally an options

NAH BRO NAH SCRUB LYFE LOL!!!!

come on it might work

HA UR DREEEEEAMING!!!!!

::the op has deleted his fluiddruid account::

=( !!!!!!!!!!

Postby possycat » Tue May 10, 2011 7:13 am

Thank you Sylvaneart for taking the time to look over my caricature, I have made the the changes you suggested and im doing between 13 - 14 k on the dummy now unbuffed so it did make an improvement so that is much appreciated. : )

i'm just going to keep plugging away and get the rest of my gear allready got 2 nice new pices so i'll see how i get on.

Thanks again...

and thanks to everyone else also.

Return to Kitty DPS