Register

Let's talk about logs (Gearing and Execution advise)

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

Re: Let's talk about logs (Gearing and Execution advise)

Postby Konungr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:16 am

shinryu wrote:So was wondering, tonight I got the wrists from Alysrazor with a nice Zephyr stat (haste/mastery), would that be more optimal over the BoE ones?

They are the same, the only difference is the secondary stats, which don't matter, if you are using wowreforge.com just have it run both of them and go with which one gives you more of the stat that you want. I run the Hit/Exp > Mastery > Crit setup that my all my sims told me was top 3 fight variant and what a non-reforged set of gear came out as stat weights are the stat weights that are set for Feral Cat on wowreforge.com. So if you use the HEMCH setup, wowreforge is already set up, all you have to do is update, optimize, take note of the numbers, change the piece of gear manually on the site, optimize again and compared the end result of stat allocation.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 pm

feisty wrote:Hey guys, I'm back again, always trying to improve myself. I hope I'm not stretching the hospitality. :)

In any case, here's the deal: I though I had a great run on Fandral this week, but my dps (even with upgraded gear, or what feels like upgraded gear anyway - got Ranseur instead of Halfus HC staff which brings an insane bonus in weapon damage at least!) dropped by 2k from my previous week's try. I also can't seem to get my rip and rake uptime higher than 90% to 91%. If you can discern the causes for what went wrong and give me some tips where I can tweak things even further from these two logs I'd appreciate it immensely.

Previous week's Fandral.
This week's Fandral.

In general it looks just like you had a real lucky night last week.
Week 1:
6:33 fight duration
- 27 OOC procs (1 proc every 14.5 seconds)
- 274 Direct damage crits (65% crit rate)
- 127 Bleed crits (38% crit rate)

Week 2:
6:20 fight duration
- 20 OOC procs (1 proc every 19 seconds)
- 199 Direct damage crits (54% crit rate)
- 134 Bleed crits (42% crit rate)

In general the 11% crit differene for your DD hits and the OOC proc rate are the biggest difference makers. There was a few other small things like UW proc'ing during you searing seeds run out time, and using a Pot when berserk was on cooldown, but they didn't make as much difference.

A few tips:
- Make use of your Berserk. In a 6 minute fight you can squeeze it in 3 times even if you cut some of it off on the last one.
- Make sure you only pot when you use Berserk
- Try not to delay your first berserk+TF if you can (I have threat issues right now).

Sorry this should have posted last night but for some reason it didn't.

Postby feisty » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:09 am

Lol Tinder, don't apologize, it's you who's doing me a favour not the other way around. I appreciate your help and tips though, thanks a lot. Yeah, I forgot about the skewered start. I popped TF and 4-5seconds in thought about using Berserk, cursed myself and waited for TF to go off CD again, but it would definitely be better to pop it, because I'd have a 10sec or so Berserk time at the very end. I pre-potted and when it run out I potted again (I think I caught the last few seconds of Berserk, but I wasn't too worried, because I wanted to use the rest of it on Heroism, which was popped at the time). Another question though, should I be following my UH procs (or procs of any other significant trinket) more closely to align them with Berserk? I got quite adept with this kind of behaviour during the later part of ICC era (I lament the loss of armor pen and Deathbringer's Will, for which I've paid an inconceivable amount of gold in a pug at that time).

I don't think I'm doing that bad though. For our second Raggy kill I got ranked 35 as Bear (nothing stellar I know, but I'm still happy whenever I get ranked) going cat whenever I wasn't tanking.

Anyway, I really do appreciate all the effort you put into running this site, helping players out by going out of your way and perusing their parses etc. I miss the mostly inactive Kalon, Andrew of Teeth and Claws, Toskk and a couple of other cats that made an impact on the community by providing essential information about the class and spec we love. Fluid Druid and a couple of other sites (Reesi's included) filled the void with quality content. Keep on rocking.

/feisty

Postby Shali » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:12 am

Hey guys how your firecat's doing ? :roll:

First of all, big thanks for the responses through this post it's a great source of information for me.

So it's time for me to jump in the pool :
Here's my armory
Here's my log from my last raid night (Shali)

I'm asking you if I did something wrong on my fights and where can I improve my skills and my gear additionally.

Edit : Maybe I could improve my uptime in Rip a little bit more...
On the opening of the fights, I have a bad habit to use Savage Roar too soon.
Here's my opening : FC+FF -> Mangle -> Rake -> SR -> TF+Berserk+Berserking -> Ravage -> Rake -> Shred -> Rip
Maybe I should do like : FC+FF -> Mangle -> Rake -> Shred -> TF+Berserk+Berserking -> Rip -> Ravage -> Rake -> SR
Last edited by Shali on Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:37 pm

Alrighty, so here's another question that's been bugging me recently...just how valuable is having 2 T11? Next week I plan on getting my 2 T12 (Chest and Gloves), which would leave me with 372 Legs and 359 Shoulders as my 2 T11 (don't have the helm at all). But, from Firelands so far, I have the 378 legs from Beth'tilac and shoulders from Baleroc literally burning a hole in my bags. So far I haven't used either at all (reasoning the 4p T11 was more valuable), but I'm beginning to wonder if that's even necessarily true now, given that you're giving up a Shred for a Mangle and the awkward times the buff can drop off and having to rebuild it.

So actually, I guess that's 2 questions in of itself; would it be worth dropping to 2 T11 and 2 378 pieces over 4 T11? And would it be worth using 2 T12 and 378 pieces over 2 T12/2 T11?

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:59 pm

shinryu wrote:Alrighty, so here's another question that's been bugging me recently...just how valuable is having 2 T11? Next week I plan on getting my 2 T12 (Chest and Gloves), which would leave me with 372 Legs and 359 Shoulders as my 2 T11 (don't have the helm at all). But, from Firelands so far, I have the 378 legs from Beth'tilac and shoulders from Baleroc literally burning a hole in my bags. So far I haven't used either at all (reasoning the 4p T11 was more valuable), but I'm beginning to wonder if that's even necessarily true now, given that you're giving up a Shred for a Mangle and the awkward times the buff can drop off and having to rebuild it.

So actually, I guess that's 2 questions in of itself; would it be worth dropping to 2 T11 and 2 378 pieces over 4 T11? And would it be worth using 2 T12 and 378 pieces over 2 T12/2 T11?

Deja vu: viewtopic.php?p=4514#p4514

All of you should grab the latest Mew and run these tests for yourselves. It won't take but a few minutes, especially now that Yawning has added the ability to import a toon from the armory.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:09 pm

Leafkiller wrote:
shinryu wrote:Alrighty, so here's another question that's been bugging me recently...just how valuable is having 2 T11? Next week I plan on getting my 2 T12 (Chest and Gloves), which would leave me with 372 Legs and 359 Shoulders as my 2 T11 (don't have the helm at all). But, from Firelands so far, I have the 378 legs from Beth'tilac and shoulders from Baleroc literally burning a hole in my bags. So far I haven't used either at all (reasoning the 4p T11 was more valuable), but I'm beginning to wonder if that's even necessarily true now, given that you're giving up a Shred for a Mangle and the awkward times the buff can drop off and having to rebuild it.

Deja vu: viewtopic.php?p=4514#p4514

All of you should grab the latest Mew and run these tests for yourselves. It won't take but a few minutes, especially now that Yawning has added the ability to import a toon from the armory.

*stops being lazy and downloads mew finally

So...uh...no clue how to use this...imported my character and it's just a matter of hitting calculate right? How do I figure out what the changes would be for new armor, or is that something I have to manually figure out and input while deselcting the t11 box?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm

Shali wrote:Hey guys how your firecat's doing ? :roll:

First of all, big thanks for the responses through this post it's a great source of information for me.

So it's time for me to jump in the pool :
Here's my armory
Here's my log from my last raid night (Shali)

I'm asking you if I did something wrong on my fights and where can I improve my skills and my gear additionally.

Edit : Maybe I could improve my uptime in Rip a little bit more...
On the opening of the fights, I have a bad habit to use Savage Roar too soon.
Here's my opening : FC+FF -> Mangle -> Rake -> SR -> TF+Berserk+Berserking -> Ravage -> Rake -> Shred -> Rip
Maybe I should do like : FC+FF -> Mangle -> Rake -> Shred -> TF+Berserk+Berserking -> Rip -> Ravage -> Rake -> SR

Hey Shali. Welcome to the community.

Sorry that I have been slow the last few days. Working a lot of odd hours. Heh I am pretty much jumping between my time zone and Alarons.

Ok on to the nosing of logs.

One little thing with your gear. I would replace the 20agi/20hit gem in your gloves with 40 agi. I know it will put you a little below the hit cap but for min maxing the extra 10 agi you will pull out of it will be more worth it then the .01%(or what ever it is) chance to miss.

You are doing a great job on your debuff up times. Just a few things I saw might be tweeked a little but not a huge deal.

Baleroc:
I would take a look at some of Konungr's macro's about jamming TF/Berserk/Berserking/Tolvir all in one button press. Having to hit all 4 can waste a little extra time. Minor quibble, you did very well for up times and used cooldowns as needed. I do hate you for having DI though ;^ ).

Shannox:
Not sure why you delayed berserk till after a minute or so into the fight. Losing your pre pot time with out having Berserk going hurts. I understand if its a threat issues (I am hitting that a lot lately). Try and steal Slav if you can, like you stole DI. Bribes work well I hear.

Staghelm:
Same as before you delayed Berserk until your second TF. You did good getting auto attacks up on the spirits as well as using an opportunistic swipe in there. Try if at all possible to not Berserk if you have less then 10 seconds left up on TF. Way more milage if you can start off with full energy and go crazy. If you do have to hit one of the spirits with a yellow attack (maybe to refresh SR and have 0 combo points on Staghelm) use Rake not Mangle. They don't last very long but 2 bleed ticks are better then 1 hit usually.

All these are very small points. Over all you are doing a very good job.
Keep on Shredding.

Postby Shali » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:12 am

Thanks a lot for the reply you are very dedicated to your cats on the forum ^^

For the 20agi/20hit I had no money to buy a red one but now the price is lower. I guess I could afford it (living the dream I have 1k9g on my bag...).

I'm not a big fan of popping a one button macro but for TF/Berserk/Berserking/Tolvir I often use them at the same time. So maybe the Konungr's macro could help me.

On Shannox,
Even if I stole a Salv I still had threat issues so I delayed my berserk this time.

On Staghelm,
I forgot to pop berserk at the scorpion phase so I put berserk in a hurry on the cat phase (my bad). Thanks for the spirits advice but it wasn't me (most of the time) that was spamming mangle on the spirits. It was my Kitty mate (Chaton) : I pop FF and he pops Mangle. That was the deal.

For the DI it's simple : get rid of the competition (no mookin allowed and force the spriest to respec heal :p).

Thank you again for your advices Tinder-sensei
I'll keep on Berserking :twisted:

Shali

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 pm

Shali wrote:For the DI it's simple : get rid of the competition (no mookin allowed and force the spriest to respec heal :p).

Next thing you know you are going to make all the DK's go unholy and chain Unholy Frenzy on you.

Shali wrote:Thank you again for your advices Tinder-sensei
I'll keep on Berserking :twisted:

Shali

Good god don't make me feel older then I already am. Anyway that title should go to Leafkiller. His math akido is strong. I am more like the 18 year old who just graduated and still thinks he knows everything ;^ )

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:56 am

So, next week I should be rocking APS (over current H Cyclone) and The Hungerer as my 2 main trinkets...question is, are there any boss fights where I should swap out UW for either one of them? I'd imagine ones like Baleroc or Beth'tilac (where I'm on the boss almost constantly or up on the web DPSing), maybe Lord Rhyolith also since I'm attacking the legs? Or even with Staghelm I'm on the boss or attacking kitty adds to that extent, though on Shannox it sucks chasing the dogs, but the only one I don't see UW being a winner on is Alysrazor or Ragnaros due to mechanics (not being the one to fly and chase her) or adds on Ragnaros. But yeah...any suggestions? I know UW is still conceptually powerful, but even I'm now wondering how it compares to 2 other 378 trinkets.

Also, anyone have a guide on how to use Mew? Not entirely sure how I change stuff to reflect other gear I want to sub in, do I have to manually figure out like the agility and input it in or what? And how does that change if I have to include enchants like the leg ones, which have atp and crit instead of just inputing more agility or something? Still lost on that.

Postby Fool » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Next thing you know you are going to make all the DK's go unholy and chain Unholy Frenzy on you.

BRING BACK HYSTERIA!

and ArPen

Postby Mykeela » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:48 am

Hello Tinder,

I have been around for a while but this is actually my first post, so here I go.

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Mykeela/advanced
And here is our Baleroc WoL: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-84rjy9c66frdf7wl/sum/damageDone/?s=12032&e=12239

Anyhoo...I just wanted to know if there could be anything else I shouldve done to increase my DPS? Did I pick the right combination of trinkets? (I got UHW, Ancient Petrified Seed and FD, but for the fight I used UHW and Seed).

Thanks in advance :)

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:14 pm

Mykeela wrote:Hello Tinder,

I have been around for a while but this is actually my first post, so here I go.

Here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Mykeela/advanced
And here is our Baleroc WoL: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-84rjy9c66frdf7wl/sum/damageDone/?s=12032&e=12239

Anyhoo...I just wanted to know if there could be anything else I shouldve done to increase my DPS? Did I pick the right combination of trinkets? (I got UHW, Ancient Petrified Seed and FD, but for the fight I used UHW and Seed).

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Mykeela. Welcome to the community.

You did just fine on Baleroc. Good bleed up times, synced up TF and Seed, and was able to pull off 2 Berserks in a 3:30 fight. Only a few suggestions here:
- Farie Fire. This is a must use spell that must be kept up 100% on the boss (or bosses who have over 2 million health). I usually use this on the pull (during FC is a good time) and then refresh as needed during energy pooling time. While other classes can put up this debuff on the target feral DPS are the best at it hands down as we can do it in 1 GCD for 0 resource cost.
- Defensive Cooldowns. You were helping absorbe crystal stacks. We ferals have a huge advantage with the power of our defensive cooldowns. Using SI and Barkskin together can let you take 20 stacks of the debuff with almost no worry. The higher stack you can take the more stacks the healers will gain. It looks like you were taking the second half of the crystals and just using barkskin. There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, just making a suggestion that might make you more useful to the raid as a whole.
- Offensive Cooldowns. You did a great job lining up everything together here. TF + Pot + Seed + Berserk together is a powerful combo. It looks like TF + Seed was off cooldown just before or just after your second Berserk. It is worth delaying a few second to have all of these cooldowns on at once during the Blood in the Water phase. If you arn't able to pre pot I would also save your pot for the sub 25% Berserk.

All these suggestions are pretty minor. You have your execution pretty down, so now its just about making the real minor adjustments and waiting for that "Stars Alligned pull". You could tighten up your Rip uptimes a little, but not a huge deal. Just keep with it.
Good luck!

EDIT: Totally spaced your trinket question. The Seed is very decent on fights that you can use it on Cooldown Every cooldown. Any time that you have to delay using it due to not being on the boss or target switching will hurt it's output. It's not a bad trinket to use on Baleroc and even Staghelm. Same with UW, it is at it's best when you have 100% uptime on the boss. Any boss with target switching and heavy AOE will always favor FD over UW. Seed can do very well in AOE situations, if it lines up perfect, however that can be hit and miss.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Tinderhoof wrote: It is worth delaying a few second to have all of these cooldowns on at once during the Blood in the Water phase. If you arn't able to pre pot I would also save your pot for the sub 25% Berserk.

I am curious as to why you say this, since, after I made the post on these forums a few days ago, it has come to my attention that the only thing Rip will keep from its 25% initial application is the Combo Points and all the other stats: Agility, AP, Crit, Mastery are all snap-shot every time you use FB again, which is every time you hit 5 CPs and 50 energy during BitW. It is now my understanding that using your Pot, as I like to do it with Trinkets, TF, and Berserk all at the same time, is best for a Rip that will ensure it's entire duration, IOW, pre-BitW.

If I am wrong, please do inform me so that I may continue to pop Pot at 25%.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=437

Postby sellyne » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:47 pm

Tinder and others: I'm having trouble maximizing my damage on Heroic Rhyolith. I have to often switch between the two legs, making it hard to maximize my dots and CP usage. Even keeping rake up can be a challenge since we (my guild) suck at driving and I didn't want to dps leg A when we were instructed to really beat the shit out of leg B for a super fast turn. Without adequate Rip upkeep, I try just AOEing obsidiums that cluster in big groups in hopes of upping my DPS. What do you guys do to keep big feral numbers on this fight? I'd prefer people with heroic experience to answer this question.

Side note, I led my guild in damage on Beth and Shannox last night, posting fairly high WoL rankings on both fights. Loving feral for sure. Still no staff. Might get the heroic one before I get the normal one O.o .

Konungr: use a sim to verify what Tinderhoof is saying. That's the easiest way to confirm. But yes, what he said is generally true.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Konungr wrote:
Tinderhoof wrote: It is worth delaying a few second to have all of these cooldowns on at once during the Blood in the Water phase. If you arn't able to pre pot I would also save your pot for the sub 25% Berserk.

I am curious as to why you say this, since, after I made the post on these forums a few days ago, it has come to my attention that the only thing Rip will keep from its 25% initial application is the Combo Points and all the other stats: Agility, AP, Crit, Mastery are all snap-shot every time you use FB again, which is every time you hit 5 CPs and 50 energy during BitW. It is now my understanding that using your Pot, as I like to do it with Trinkets, TF, and Berserk all at the same time, is best for a Rip that will ensure it's entire duration, IOW, pre-BitW.

If I am wrong, please do inform me so that I may continue to pop Pot at 25%.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=437

You are correct if Rip was the main focus of the Blood in the Water phase. Because Rip only makes up about 20% of your dps using cooldowns to just buff it shouldn't be the focus.

During sub 25 when I hit Berserk, the most used ability is going to be shred. Potions, trinkets, and Berserk all buff shred. I also now do not have to waste 30 energy to refresh rip, so I can spend more on Shreds and FB's. During Berserk I am also likely to refresh Rake 2 or 3 times. It will be buffed by the potion and trinkets for the first duration, and buffed by just the potion for the second 2. So all in all I am more focused on the other 80% of my damaging ablities then I am trying to give rip 2-4k more damage over its duration.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:08 pm

sellyne wrote:Tinder and others: I'm having trouble maximizing my damage on Heroic Rhyolith. I have to often switch between the two legs, making it hard to maximize my dots and CP usage. Even keeping rake up can be a challenge since we (my guild) suck at driving and I didn't want to dps leg A when we were instructed to really beat the shit out of leg B for a super fast turn. Without adequate Rip upkeep, I try just AOEing obsidiums that cluster in big groups in hopes of upping my DPS. What do you guys do to keep big feral numbers on this fight? I'd prefer people with heroic experience to answer this question.

Side note, I led my guild in damage on Beth and Shannox last night, posting fairly high WoL rankings on both fights. Loving feral for sure. Still no staff. Might get the heroic one before I get the normal one O.o .

Konungr: use a sim to verify what Tinderhoof is saying. That's the easiest way to confirm. But yes, what he said is generally true.

If you are on leg duty, your damage is going to be low no matter what. Generally it would be better to have the Feral on adds, especially since DoTs do not affect his turning, therefore they are only damage added to push him to death faster, but because of the armor debuff, which the bleeds do not ignore, they don't do much damage. Generally Swipe will be amazing, since there are so many adds and a good tank will stack them on the leg that is the focus at the time so that they get hit by AoE and Cleave damage.

Postby sellyne » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:48 am

Yeah... not exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks anyways. I'll just try contacting other top ferals on my server.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:08 am

sellyne wrote:Yeah... not exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks anyways. I'll just try contacting other top ferals on my server.

Not sure what you are looking for. You asked what people do to get big numbers, other than getting some decent burst single target on him during his Execution Phase, Swipe is what is getting most Feral kitties their rankings. Looking at the top 10 Feral Kitty ranks on World of Logs, which range from 23-30k, each feral has over 40% of his total damage done by Swipe.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:08 am

So, I just got the 2p...I'm still doing roughly the same damage as with 4p t11? Doesn't seem overly impressive to me...

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:44 am

shinryu wrote:So, I just got the 2p...I'm still doing roughly the same damage as with 4p t11? Doesn't seem overly impressive to me...

Think of this then: You don't have to use an extra Mangle every minute, AND, most importantly, you can use your Super Druid Utility and not be penalized out the ass for it again.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Konungr wrote:
shinryu wrote:So, I just got the 2p...I'm still doing roughly the same damage as with 4p t11? Doesn't seem overly impressive to me...

Think of this then: You don't have to use an extra Mangle every minute, AND, most importantly, you can use your Super Druid Utility and not be penalized out the ass for it again.

Well that's what still puzzles me; I mean, since I'm not having to rebuild my mangle stacks after the rare occasion I drop form, you'd think it would be higher wouldn't it? Besides what super druid utility, we have tranq that's pretty much the only thing I can think of worth casting on bosses...

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:31 pm

shinryu wrote:Well that's what still puzzles me; I mean, since I'm not having to rebuild my mangle stacks after the rare occasion I drop form, you'd think it would be higher wouldn't it? Besides what super druid utility, we have tranq that's pretty much the only thing I can think of worth casting on bosses...

Brez + Innervate jump right to mind. Not as powerful as it used to be, but even 3-4 more healing spells can save someone. Just recently on a Rag kill I had to go to bear form and taunt rag to let our MT drop his stack. I didn't have to tank it that long and I lasted through my cooldowns then went back to DPS.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 pm

So...judging the affect of the 2 piece set bonus without doing an analysis of how your RNG went...

If Mew has it modeled correctly (which is likely) it is a substantial up over the 4 piece T11.

PreviousNext

Return to Kitty DPS