Register

Tips for Al'Akir regular.

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Tips for Al'Akir regular.

Postby Jabarlek » Tue May 24, 2011 1:25 pm

First off, I just want to say thank you to the guys running this forum. I've only been playing my kitty for about three months, and the information here has been invaluable. So yeah, thanks:)

Now the reason I'm posting this: We finally downed Al'Akir sunday which also got the guild our 12/12. Through phase one, it's easy mode for kitties it seems, I was averaging 21k for our attempts for that particular part. It's once phase two starts, and then phase three that I'm asking for tips. We don't run logs, but here's my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... lek/simple (the cloak I'm wearing I won off Al'Akir)

Other issue: My rip uptime on the boss was horrible throughout phase two to say the least. I was having to save tigers fury for the adds since I was one of 2 (the other being a mage) DPS that would actually switch on time. I was running a balanced haste/crit set heavy on mastery. I'm thinking I might wanted to switch over to a hit/expertise set up, but I'm not 100% sure.

The thing that's getting me is that I'd drop from a steady 20k+ all the way down to 15-17k by the time the first add went down, and I know I should be able to do more.

So any type of tips or tricks you're willing to share would be much appreciated!

Exalted

Re: Tips for Al'Akir regular.

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue May 24, 2011 1:55 pm

Hey Jabarlek. Welcome to the community.

Al'Akir is not a very feral friendly fight. Most often starts require that we be in front of him for a good chunk of the fight, and we are unable to make use of feral charge aginst him. I have a few tips that might help you out but they will depend on how your guilds strat works and how much you trust your healers.

First off because we can't make use of feral charge on the boss lowers our overall damage out put. In my guild we usually have 2 ranged breaking the stormlings (being in a 25 man raid helps). Something I haven't tried but you should is when you have to switch can you FC and ravage them? If so that will help out with some of your burst and let you get back on Al'Akir quicker.

For P2 if you trust your raid healers to be able to top you off and you KNOW you can avoid squall lines you can run about a quarter circle to his right or left (I prefer right) and get in a shred position. If you find that you can FC the stormlings from that spot all the better. The trick is you will be out of range of the healers so you will need to run back in to get topped off every so often. Be sure to let them know what you are doing and that its ok so they don't try and chase you.

About your bleed up times. When you are having to target change a lot making sure your bleeds are going to still be going when you switch back is critical. This is something I have to work on myself. If you saw the suggestion Floofels made to me about Omnitron you can apply it here. If you know you are going to have to switch to the stormling in the next 10 seconds start pooling energy so you can refresh rip and rake before you change. You may miss some filler moves, but it's not nearly as much of a dps loss as the bleeds falling off.

If you arn't going to be able to get into a shred position and have to be infront of the boss all the time you will find expertise will end up being more valuable then hit (recudes your parries which you will get a lot). I have not done this myself but some have suggested swaping in the Mangle glyph in place of the shred glyph if you will be stuck in the front all of the time.

Hope this helps some. If you have more questions please feel free to ask.

Postby Jabarlek » Tue May 24, 2011 2:34 pm

Tinderhoof, thanks for the welcome and the reply:)

I had never even thought of using feral charge on the adds, but you mentioning it makes it sound almost as a no brainer. I will have to use that on our next attempt.

We're a ten man guild so I highly doubt any of our Healers or our RL will be comfortable with me moving off to the side, though I will try to talk them into it.

The idea of using mangle is actually appealing since I'm almost positive that I'll be stuck in front of the boss
The whole time, so once again, pretty sure I'll have to try that.

The biggest issue I had with the dot uptime was the fact that even if I had just refreshed them, by the time the adds had gone down, they would of fallen off somewhere in-between(our add control on this fight needs A LOT of work). Like I said, it was falling to me and the Mage
Most of the time to get them down. Something that I was thinking when you had made mention of pooling the energy was requesting that I stay on the boss while the mage brings the adds to low health. And then whenever the RL calls for it, I can just switch over, throw a rake, and a mangle and they should go down. And that should also help our other dps simply because they get very bad tunnel vision on this fight.

Honored

Postby Floofles » Wed May 25, 2011 9:26 am

Can't say charging the stormlings is a good idea if your healers aren't very good, I certainly wouldn't say do it on heroic, you'll get a tiny bit of extra DPS out of it but you'll end up taking the stormling debuff as well as a lot of damage from the stormling's lightning itself.

EDIT:

If you're being told to go and DPS Stormlings, find another guild or go moonkin, it's nonsensical as the nature of feral's high ramp up time plus the fact melee get hit by the stormling's aoe is rather good reason not to.

Another edit:

I've tried using mangle glyph on this fight several times and have ended up with significantly less DPS, it's possible to stand behind the boss on normal mode for the entire duration of P2 provided you have a lightwell. On heroic you can last until around the 9th stack, this gives you such a lot of shred time more than standing in front. Even when you do stand in front, you'll be doing a significant amount less DPS in p1/early p2/p3 which has never ended up being worth it. You can argue small sample size and such but in total i've wiped on this fight 550ish times on all 4 variations of the fight and have had time to test it. If you're really worried about increasing your DPS here, just get some hit and expertise. In fact if you're worried about your DPS anywhere, just get hit and expertise. If you're new to the class, it'll make it easier for you to learn. If you're experienced with the class it'll give you significantly more AOE dps and allow you to perform fast target switches reliably.

Postby CaptainCub » Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 pm

Floofles wrote:you'll be doing a significant amount less DPS in p1/early p2/p3 which has never ended up being worth it.

I'm confused. What glyph did you have in mind to swap GoMangle with?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed May 25, 2011 1:56 pm

CaptainCub wrote:I'm confused. What glyph did you have in mind to swap GoMangle with?

Glyph of Shred. If you are not able to shred for all of P2/P3 it doesn't really gain you much. In my case in P3 my guild always end up in front of the boss in a raid clump. Getting into shred position for me ensures I will get 0 healing and a "Get back in the group" from the Raid Leader. Not everyone gets as lucky to be back there. However I am able to shred in P2 so for me swaping out the glyph of Shred will not help me much.

Floofles wrote:you'll be doing a significant amount less DPS in p1/early p2/p3 which has never ended up being worth it.

In the optimal situation were you are able to shred for most of P2, there is no question that the glyph of Mangle will lower your DPS. As P2 normal is the longest phase of the fight (I haven't done heroic yet) the glyph of Shred will always win out. I did have a question about P3 though. If you are going to be in the back and able to shred in P3 is the glyph of Shred really going to give you a lot? The reason I ask is with Blood in the Water in effect will you be seeing a full 16 second rip go off with out refreshing it?

If you are stuck like Jabarlek in the front of the boss for 80% of the fight I don't see how replacing the glyph of Shred with Mangle is going to do anything but help him. He may not log for the fight but if he can improve his DPS with in the confines of his guilds strat (even if it's less then optimal for him) I can't see that as anything but a win.

Postby CaptainCub » Wed May 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:The reason I ask is with Blood in the Water in effect will you be seeing a full 16 second rip go off with out refreshing it?

That's what I was thinking and why I've been using GoMangle over the Shred glyph (in the situation where you're stationed in front in P2). GoShred is not particularly strong on normal mode since your first Berserk should last a good portion of P1 and you should have combo points a-plenty to refresh 16-sec Rips and in P3 GoShred is useless since you want to FB instead.

Postby Jabarlek » Wed May 25, 2011 2:43 pm

Those were my exact thoughts tinderhoof. This fight, and my guilds strat is not optimal for me, so I've got to go with making the best of a bad situation. Which as of this weekend I'll be running logs, and if we don't down him on the first attempt(which that happening is highly unlikely) I'll try both glyphs and see which does better.

The problem with me being on the adds is the simple fact other than the Mage, the other dps just aren't very quick at switching, so sometimes you're once again stuck in a bad situation, so you've got to make the best of it. I won't switch guilds because I've been with the majority of these guys since mid ICC(25% buff), and I'd consider going boomkin, but I don't even remotely have the gear for it, so it would
Just hurt my guild more.

I'm glad you brought to my attention the debuff the adds give though, because that is something I've over looked. Best case scenario is when I sit down with my RL either tonight or tomorrow, we'll come up with a way to smooth things over for everyone, and I can happily stand behind the boss shredding away. Worse case, he won't hear me out on most of it, and I try mangle, and continue ripping into the adds. Either way, there's been lots of things I've over looked on this fight that I'm glad you've all brought to my attention:)

Return to Kitty DPS