Leafkiller's 4.2 Feral Ovale Script

Face-rippin fun.

Re: Leafkiller's 4.2 Feral Ovale Script

Postby Aurea » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:59 pm

just the amount of data... happens to me too

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Konungr wrote:I have a question, is there a reason my Ovale stuns my Game for ~10 secs whenever I Ctrl+V the script into the window and then again for ~3 secs when I hit Accept?

The script is code and its a very large script. I have a feeling the 10 second CC on your computer is Ovale compiling it so that can be displayed and executed.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:42 pm

Ovale definitely is parsing the script when you hit the accept key - if I have a broken script I see all sorts of errors in the chat log at that point.

I am not sure why it is slow on the paste though - that only happened recently (since 4.2 I think).

Postby thomasmgp » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:53 pm

Having problems with script showing next ability in both cat and bear. Im only level 33 so maybe that might have something to do with it but here is whats going on. Obviously Mangle is the first ability I would use as cat. The next ability would be Rake since thats all I have and sometimes it will show rake in the box telling me to use it next but most of the its just a darkened out box showing me to mangle again in 1 min after the debuff wears off. When I go Bear it wont tell me to Maul half the time. Only after I use it the first time on a mob will the maul box appear. Is this normal?

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:32 pm

thomasmgp wrote:Having problems with script showing next ability in both cat and bear. Im only level 33 so maybe that might have something to do with it but here is whats going on. Obviously Mangle is the first ability I would use as cat. The next ability would be Rake since thats all I have and sometimes it will show rake in the box telling me to use it next but most of the its just a darkened out box showing me to mangle again in 1 min after the debuff wears off. When I go Bear it wont tell me to Maul half the time. Only after I use it the first time on a mob will the maul box appear. Is this normal?

The script is built for a level 85 raiders. It probably works fine for any toon that is level 80+. I would not use it at your level.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:40 pm

I was wondering, would it at all be possible to include an option in the dropdown boxes to show the one buff from Predatory Strikes, whatever it was called?

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:06 pm

shinryu wrote:I was wondering, would it at all be possible to include an option in the dropdown boxes to show the one buff from Predatory Strikes, whatever it was called?

Sure. It is called Predator's Swiftness (spell id 69369). It is in 4.2.9 which I will post as soon as I finish writing this.

Postby Aelfin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Leafkiller wrote:I checked moving pulverize ahead of thrash in Mew (with the crappy 359 profile) and it was a threat loss. I need to get a better sample bear profile in there (even if it is simply logging out in my bear gear/spec) to test that with better gear. The 45 energy vs. 50 energy is kind of a wash while the clearcasting change makes sense - although for any raid tanking, Maul will be on all the time anyways. I did not look through your bear changes at the end of the script yet, so I have no opinion about those.

I like the skullbash/cower code, but I think I would rather have it in one of the other cooldown boxes and not the second rotation box. For example, you could be on an add that is not tanked and it could obscure the upcoming rotation. It would be easy enough make that pop up in one of the other boxes as something you configure.

Maintaining and syncing multiple versions of the script can be pretty painful (I used to do that) so best would be if I can satisfy your needs in this script (of course that makes your life easier but has no effect on mine - so feel free to keep updating my script as you desire).

I am space constrained when I try to post two versions of the script in the same post here - and your formatting changes add more characters to the script - so I am not going to incorporate them :p

Edit - a good place to work in the skullbash/cower code would be in the upper left box in conjunction with the feral charge code (which is not nearly as useful now that we no longer have zero distance charging available).

Glad you liked bits of the code. I forgot to thank you very much in my previous post for the effort you put into this, it's really appreciated.

Yes, Thrash is definitely more TPS than Pulverize, but I do it for survival, personally. I tank most of the time now and use Ovale mostly as a cooldown timer anymore. For various reasons I've reforged for 781 expertise so threat doesn't tend to be an issue. However, even with timers, I tend to forget to watch for my lacerate stacks and pulverize. So yeah, I preference that.

Since I do mostly bear I have to admit I don't really understand the point of the 2nd main box in Kitty. I use the smaller boxes for cooldowns and the 2nd main for suggestions outside the main branch (like cower/maul/skullbash). I also use vertical rather than horizontal so it "makes sense to me" ;) Regardless, just having the defines for the buffs in the code makes any personal mods I do to it much easier so thanks for that.

I am kinda surprised my code ended up longer. I could have sworn with the removal of unneeded braces and line feeds and general reformatting that I had made it shorter. Maybe there's embedded tabs I didn't realize and converted to spaces. Sorry about that. I won't post anymore versions to help prevent any possibility of sync/versioning issues.

TLDR; Thanks much, keep doing what you're doing and I'll work around it with any personal mods I want.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:38 pm

We could get into a religious war on the subject of unneeded braces. I put them in to clarify logic and to minimize potential scripting bugs. Programmers are all over the map on coding style questions, and that is my preference (which is not likely to change given how many years I have been a software professional).

Postby Aelfin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Hahaha, that is war I might have engaged in 10 years ago. And actually have come down on your side. I just remembered in one of your previous posts you mentioned being space constrained so I had stripped them out. Well, and consistency, too. They are there in some places and not in others.

Nowadays I pretty much don't care what the standard is as long as there's a standard.

Nobody likes a spelling/grammar nazi. Code nazis are probably even worse. So I'll just shaddup now ;)

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:37 pm

My space constraint was in trying to keep two versions of the script in one post on this forum - and as people request features, it has continued to grow. I solved that for now by using a separate post for the backup script. In general I have always tried to keep code in the style that it was written, but my personal style dates back to K&R C. I did start with the default Ovale script and some of the formatting is left over (I do tend to line up comments like you did) so I won't claim to be that much of a nazi since I have not bothered to fix it after all these months. Obviously, the biggest concern is getting the logic correct and making the script usable.

The second box in the kitty script shows you the rotation without fillers. Most of the time it will show the next major ability you will be using with a countdown of how long until it is the optimum time to do so. This allows some planning - for instance, you might not hit that one extra Shred if you see Rake is going to be needed in half a second. It is just another visual clue to help with planing the rotation.

Honored

Postby Mihir » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:18 am

Any way to prevent the script from suggesting SR when Rip is running out in 2 seconds, I got 5 cp, and am energy starved?

Postby Aurea » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:12 am

beware of those, who blindly follow ovale... but yeah, got the same problem

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:24 am

Mihir wrote:Any way to prevent the script from suggesting SR when Rip is running out in 2 seconds, I got 5 cp, and am energy starved?

Why would you want to prevent it from telling you what is better. SR/Rip interaction is a very volatile line-up right now, due to the nerfs to Rip and the buffs to Savage Roar. It was stated in the very beginning of this thread that using the script for optimal DPS would provide lower Rip uptime for SR if you followed it completely and didn't put any of your own active planning into the mix. Start paying closer attention to the timers, I use DroodFocus and Ovale together, so I have an expanse of information that I can see at a glance and I know sometimes there will be moments I have to lose uptime on one of the two, I generally make my call based on my CPs at the time.

Since Rip requires 5 CP and SR is best w/ 5 CP but not required, I would use Rip and build 1 CP to get SR back up. If I weren't already sitting at 3+ CPs I would just SR and start building for the Rip.

Aurea wrote:beware of those, who blindly follow ovale... but yeah, got the same problem

Correct, and I'm sure that Leafkiller has said at least once (pretty sure it was LK), that you shouldn't just follow Ovale, but should pay attention to its suggestions and adapt/learn why it is suggesting what at what times.

Honored

Postby Mihir » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:58 am

Never said that I was blindly following the suggestion. Just found it a bit confusing it would be suggested as the best course of action, as in many cases I'd prefer a 5 cp rip to a 5 cp sr, as i can just throw up a quick 1/2cp sr after the rip, and the other way around doesn't work. Furthermore, a rip is guaranteed damage, while a SR's damage only fully applies when you're behind the target in melee range for the full duration of the 5cp SR.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:50 pm

I saw a lot of suggestions of trying to put SR up before Rip during Rag attempts last night. Not just at the start, but in the middle during transitions, it suggests SR over Rip regardless of combo points or energy. To be honest I am not sure why SR is being valued over Rip.

Looking at my logs over the last 2 weeks in the 2 best case situations (100% uptime on the boss) Rip always out performs white swings. In both my Shannox and Baleroc fights I have a 90% Rip (I really could be doing better here) up time and a 93% SR up time. In both cases Rip out performs melee by 1-2%.

On my Rag kill yesterday I saw a 50% rip uptime and a SR up time of 86% and Rip still beat white attacks out by 1%. I know 86% uptime doesn't mean white swings had 86% up time, but even still half the fight I am only doing Swipe, white attacks and shreds. No bleeds at all during the transitions. Am I doing it wrong here?

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 pm

Mihir wrote:Never said that I was blindly following the suggestion. Just found it a bit confusing it would be suggested as the best course of action, as in many cases I'd prefer a 5 cp rip to a 5 cp sr, as i can just throw up a quick 1/2cp sr after the rip, and the other way around doesn't work. Furthermore, a rip is guaranteed damage, while a SR's damage only fully applies when you're behind the target in melee range for the full duration of the 5cp SR.

Obviously, it is easy to make the Ovale script not toss up an SR under whatever circumstances we want, as you well know since you have done a fair amount of Ovale script writing ;)

With the changes to 4.2, I removed the 6 second Rip conditional that held off on refreshing SR and found it was a dps up. I tried some different numbers but did not find any that changed that priority. The actual case you are describing, 2 seconds and 5 combo points will usually call Rip, but that is the threshold. If we can find some conditionals that result in a dps up, I will certainly put them into the script. I certainly did not do an exhaustive test of all possible conditionals that could be put on SR.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I did some testing with the latest greatest version of Mew - which any of you can repeat if you want to. I grabbed the test profile "378Leafhitexp.mew" which is hit/exp capped and has 1564 crit rating, 1546 mastery rating, and 452 haste rating.

I took the SR line in Mew:
Code: Select all
if (cps > 0 && (!isSavageRoarUp || srRemaining <= 1) )

and changed it to:
Code: Select all
if (cps > 0 && (!isSavageRoarUp || srRemaining <= 1)  && !(cps == 5 && ripRemaining < 5))

I tried different numbers on the Patchwork fight, but 5 seconds worked the best. I only tested with 5 seconds on the other profiles.

On the patchwork style fight I saw a dps increase of 13 +- 13 dps (so variance could account for it).
Repeating the test with the new "valiona" option I saw a dps increase of 20 +- 13 dps - so a small gain.
Testing with the "atramedes" option I saw a dps loss of 10 +-13
Using the "adds" option I saw a dps loss of 15 +- 22 (variance is greater than the dps change).

TLDR: It does not look like it matters much if you decide to hold off on SR a few seconds when you are at 5 combo points and Rip is close to expiring. Reforging to higher/lower mastery might move the needle some - but the numbers we are looking at are low.

Honored

Postby Yawning » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:09 am

Leafkiller wrote:On the patchwork style fight I saw a dps increase of 13 +- 13 dps (so variance could account for it).
Repeating the test with the new "valiona" option I saw a dps increase of 20 +- 13 dps - so a small gain.
Testing with the "atramedes" option I saw a dps loss of 10 +-13
Using the "adds" option I saw a dps loss of 15 +- 22 (variance is greater than the dps change).

TLDR: It does not look like it matters much if you decide to hold off on SR a few seconds when you are at 5 combo points and Rip is close to expiring. Reforging to higher/lower mastery might move the needle some - but the numbers we are looking at are low.

Oh hey, people are using the new encounter models. I'm not sure how close to reality either are, in particular the V&T style fight enforces 10 sec of idle time between targets, and I decided not to randomize add facing (though the code is more than capable of doing so), but the intended use case for all of the new stuff is "If you want to see realistic encounters, edit the script, there's documentation and examples".

One thing that is worth investigating is "what is ideal behavior for 2 targets", because the answer is not "press Swipe button". I probably would need a call that gives the target that the CPs were built on (since it correctly models loss on switch on next cp generator) but it's a trivial change.

Also, RSVs when modeling swipe spam in particular are even more useless (certain values of haste/crit/mastery along with the matrix restabilizer will give a negative DPS value to mastery), but since it's not a bug ("Yeah, it's causing the trinket to switch from procing Haste to procing Mastery, so you are Swiping less, deal with it") I'm not going to fix it.

My current TODO list:
  • Give the model a notion of mob position, so you can feral charge off targets, and are forced to run to off targets (Mob positioning on a line, with point hit boxes, can't be bothered to do things more involved.).
  • Improve internals a bit. A few things about the design bug me still, but changes in this area are likely not going to be user visible.
  • Con people into writing support for more interesting encounters.
  • (Maybe) Port the add code over to the bear model.
  • (Maybe) Put some work into the UI code.
  • Your requests here.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Mew: http://code.google.com/p/mew-wow-druid-model/

Honored

Postby Jeshu » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 am

Version 4.2.9 of the script uses the following constants without defining them first:
  • SKULLBASHCAT
  • MAIM
  • SKULLBASHBEAR
  • BASH

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Jeshu wrote:Version 4.2.9 of the script uses the following constants without defining them first:
  • SKULLBASHCAT
  • MAIM
  • SKULLBASHBEAR
  • BASH

Oops. I also need to modify the code for Alysrazor. I will post an update shortly.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:45 pm

Posted version 4.2.10 of the script.

I put in the defines for the interrupt calls - so hopefully those will actually work now - those have not been tested yet - so feedback would be welcome.

I also changed the Alysrazor logic. The Berserk code was not entirely correct (I was doing the air phase last night) as it was calling Berserk at times while in the air. Also, changed the filler code to more aggressively shred. I won't be able to test the changes until next week (assuming I am in the air again) so if anyone else has a chance to, please let me know how it works.

Postby pokerface » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Heya leaf im new to the whole Ovale thing.
which script is the proper one to be running in current content as i see 3 in this thread x.x
im running Hit/Expertise cap favoring mastery as I have 2Piece T11 soon 4piece T12

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:33 pm

pokerface wrote:Heya leaf im new to the whole Ovale thing.
which script is the proper one to be running in current content as i see 3 in this thread x.x
im running Hit/Expertise cap favoring mastery as I have 2Piece T11 soon 4piece T12

The one in the first post of this thread.

Postby pokerface » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:48 am

Alright sweet!
Thanks man keep up the good work :3

PreviousNext

Return to Kitty DPS