Register

Aggro problems

Face-rippin fun.

Aggro problems

Postby Baruck » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:15 am

How long do you wait at the beginning of the fight before starting to do damage or do you start slowly? Even with a DK and a Rogue I easily pull aggro and I can't push out my burst damage. The aggro reduce talent is ridiculous.

Thanks,
Baruck

Revered

Re: Aggro problems

Postby shinryu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:49 am

Honestly, really depends; I for example usually won't do anything besides auto-attack until the tank has a clear 200k lead in threat according to Omen, and even then I find myself pushing Cower quite a bit until he has Vengeance well up and running. Nothing you can really do, it's pretty much dependent on the tank for them to grab up aggro, all you can do is monitor how much you grab...obviously make sure the rogue is actually using tricks (believe it or not quite a few don't), maybe have any hunters fire a few MDs as well, but beyond that there's not much else besides the tank in question gearing for threat (which isn't always the best ideal when mitigation and survivability help a lot more in learning new stuff initially) and they're pretty much tied to waiting till Vengeance kicks in.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 am

As the boss is running up, except for on Staghelm, I will (From Cat Form - Very Important) cast Thorns on the Main Tank. I will then shift back into Cat Form and throw out a Faerie Fire (Feral). After it's 6 sec CD is up, I will then Feral Charge in and begin my rotation:

Feral Charge > Mangle > Rake > Shred > TF/Berserk/Potion/Trinket/Eng Springs/etc > Rip (if 5 CP) > Ravage > Rake > Savage Roar.

On Staghelm, because we have a misdirect into the boss and we are stacked in the center of the platform, I start from stealth. When the boss gets to me, I take the 10 secs I use for Faerie Fire and Thorns on normal pulls and find my position underneath his claw so that I can shred. With Ravage having a Positional Requirement, it helps. Plus it gives me 2 combos, which I will use for Savage Roar, then Faerie Fire(Feral) and begin my rotation.

Honored

Postby Floofles » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:03 pm

I hate to say it but if your tank can't keep aggro from a feral druid then he is very bad and should consider doing some research.

Feral is an extremely low threat class due to the massive ramp up time.

Revered

Postby shinryu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:40 pm

Floofles wrote:I hate to say it but if your tank can't keep aggro from a feral druid then he is very bad and should consider doing some research.

Feral is an extremely low threat class due to the massive ramp up time.

...eh? A couple of good Shred crits is more than enough to generate a large amount of aggro. Sure it's not as bad as Mage lol-crit aggro, but still...

Postby Flidis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:58 pm

I am having the same problem with aggro. And it's not just one type of tank but almost any tank I run with. I guess I can get a threat meter and monitor what is going on.

Postby Satrion » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:18 pm

It all comes down to knowing your situation. Any good dps will have initial aggro problems if you have 0-1 MD/Tricks. If you can get 2 or more you should never have aggro issues barring weird mechanics that buff your dps or nerf the tank's. You also need to know your tank. You can get a feel pretty quick for what he/she is capable of. You also need to be prepared for the perfect storm of you getting lucky and the tank getting unlucky. Cower isn't a magic bullet like vanish, but it can really help you out. The key is to hit cower and stop attacking. Stopping for a couple seconds is going to be more dps in the long run than going balls to the wall, pulling, and dieing.

There is no set time you need to wait for. Every raid set up is different. Remember that with vengeance, the tanks threat will only get better over time. Sit out as long as you need to at the beginning so you can go all out later.

Postby Flidis » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:25 pm

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you for responding!

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:11 am

Speaking from a tank's perspective (something I occasionally do) - the tank needs to get hit to build up Vengeance. If someone pulls off before the tank has Vengeance built up it is extremely difficult to get the mob back. Tank threat scales up very fast *when* the tank is being attacked.

Postby Fonia » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 am

Leafkiller wrote:Speaking from a tank's perspective (something I occasionally do) - the tank needs to get hit to build up Vengeance. If someone pulls off before the tank has Vengeance built up it is extremely difficult to get the mob back. Tank threat scales up very fast *when* the tank is being attacked.

Troof. This is why, even with tricks and md threat not being permanent, they are awesome. It helps the tank get past the 30 sec or so hump till they start stacking up vengeance. If you still have troubles try to cower after your ravage (for me usually after rip in the opener), and hit it once or twice after that. Remember that cower is 10% of total threat so the later you do it, the more threat it dumps off.

Return to Kitty DPS