Register

Low DPS for my iLvl

Face-rippin fun.

Low DPS for my iLvl

Postby Snowbat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Hello all,
I'm very new to playing Druid so don't shoot me if I have stupid questions.
I'm currently iLvl 468. Basically, this is me:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/e ... bat/simple

But my DPS seems to be a little low. I'm only doing about 33k on a Raider's dummy, sometimes peaking at 36-37k when I use Berserk for example, but most of the time I stabilize at 33k.

My rotation is as follows (I use WeakAuras to help me know when to use what)
1- Savage Roar. I have an aura that pops up as soon as the buff expires so I can immediately put it up again
2- Rake. Here too, I have an aura that pops up as soon as the debuff is no longer active on the target
3- Faerie Fire. Another aura that tells me when Weakened Armor expires on my target
4- Mangle spam till I hit 5 CP. At that point, I use Rip.

In the meantime, I also do this:
- If my Energy gets lower than 40 and Tiger's Fury is off cooldown, I use it
- If my target has 4 or 5 CP and Rip is not active on it, I use Ferocious Bite
- I pop Berserk on Nuke phases

So basically, I'd like to find out if I have such low DPS because my gear isn't that good yet, or is it because I'm missing something fundamental in my rotation? Or perhaps I just need to practice more to learn to properly manage CP's, Energy and CD's?
Also, I'm often conflicted on what priorities to give when my target has 4 or 5 CP: if Savage Roar is expired and there is no Rip on the target, what should I use first? S.Roar, Fer.Bite or Rip? What's the priority between those three?
And last but not least, I often find myself depleted of Energy. AutoAttack is my main damaging move... is this normal?

Thanks for any info guys. I really enjoy playing Druid and I want to become better at it.

Honored

Re: Low DPS for my iLvl

Postby Elamari » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:34 am

Hi.

First off I would recommend getting Ovale and Leafkillers script (I forget the actual name, I'm sure someone else will remember it). This addon will greatly help you with the priority system that is now our rotation.

With your Tiger's Fury usage, it would be better to use it at 30 energy or lower to avoid energy capping. If you use it at 40 energy and it grants 60 you will instantly energy cap which you don't want to do.
If your target has 4-5 combo points on it and Rip is not active, you should get 5 combo points and Rip, not use Ferocious Bite.
It is my understanding that Savage Roar is top priority. You want to aim for > 90% uptime. So if SR has expired and there is no Rip, use SR first.
You want to be behind the target and Shredding and not Mangling.
If you are having trouble with rotation as such I would recommend switching your Nature's Vigil talent to Heart of the Wild.

I noticed on your armory link that you are still under hit cap, I would recommend getting as close as to the hit cap as possible. One site that I have found very useful is WOW reforge http://www.wowreforge.com. This will get you as close to hit / expertise cap and reforge the rest of you gear as per the stat priorities.
Also according to your armory link, your shoulders, chest, bracers, weapon and legs are missing enchants. I know these gear slots are only blue quality, but getting a cheap enchant from the AH or an old world enchant would be better than nothing at all.

Also you are an engineer so you should look at getting the synapse springs tinker for your gloves. You can then macro it with Tiger's Fury. Here is a macro I use that activates Tiger's Fury, Synapse Springs (/use 10) and Berserk with an alt modifier for a potion.

#showtooltip
/use [mod:alt] Virmen's Bite
/use Tiger's Fury
/use Berserk
/use 10

Would you be able to provide some logs? That will give us more information and let us help you out more.

I hope this helps you. There are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help you out. Just keep an eye on this thread.

~Elamari
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

File under Feral - http://fileunderferal.wordpress.com/

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:43 pm

Spot on Elamari. Nice write up.

Postby Snowbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I changed my auras a bit: now I have a timer that tells me when SR, Rip and Rake are gonna expire. That way I can anticipate better and make sure I refresh them before they expire.
I'll also make sure SR gets priority over everything.
I changed my TF aura so that it pops when my energy is at 30 now and I'm gonna replace Mangle by Shred... it's just not easy to be behind your target in messy battles in LFR.

Anyways, I'd love to submit a log. Because my DPS is still pretty low. What do these logs show and how does one generate one?
Also, what I noticed is that when tracking my DPS against a dummy, one time I'll reach 40k, another time I'll reach a measly 31k... even though I'm wearing the same gear and respecting the same rotation. Not sure what that's all about.

Postby Clefable » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:33 pm

Logs show exactly what goes on during a fight; really useful for examining encounters after they're done. Go to http://www.worldoflogs.com/ and register, it'll guide you through the process. When you've finished, just type /combatlog in-game and it'll begin logging everything. Then type /combatlog again when you're done, log out and click client on the wol page. It'll upload your logs. Your guild may even have one already, if they raid.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Snowbat wrote:Also, what I noticed is that when tracking my DPS against a dummy, one time I'll reach 40k, another time I'll reach a measly 31k... even though I'm wearing the same gear and respecting the same rotation. Not sure what that's all about.

It could be a case of short dummy fights. I usually don't track DPS against a dummy for anything less than 15min. This is due to crits, OOC procs, missing a Rip, Rake, accidentally FB and then saying oops!, etc.

Try fighting a dummy for 15-20min. at a time. It helps you with your rotation immensely is the best benefit, the other is your DPS will even out a lot better. I usually do about ~66k last time I messed w/ the dummy, but I got up to 92-95k a couple times, but it ALWAYS leveled out around 66k. On the other side, I've seen it stay low at 40-50k and then average back up to 66k.

Also, using the ovale/leafkiller script on a dummy helps you see how to manage energy/CP, etc. It helped me go from 2k under sim on a dummy to 1k above it.

Also, a fun game I used to play was I'd auto attack a dummy and go make dinner, then come back and see how long it took me to get to a set DPS, (maybe 60k in this example). Helped give me a goal while helping me learn my rotation.

Postby Bethany » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Clefable wrote:Logs show exactly what goes on during a fight; really useful for examining encounters after they're done. Go to http://www.worldoflogs.com/ and register, it'll guide you through the process. When you've finished, just type /combatlog in-game and it'll begin logging everything. Then type /combatlog again when you're done, log out and click client on the wol page. It'll upload your logs. Your guild may even have one already, if they raid.

If your guild doesn't already have logs make sure you create a "guild", just make up a random name or the like.
You'll also need to download the client (found in the top menu bar of the site). Your best bet is to download the client, open it and direct it to your WoWCombatLog.txt file found in your WoW folder.
Once you're ready to go just start a live report session (from the client) and enter the dungeon/raid you're wanting to log.
Now either type the /combatlog in game or if you're one to forget to turn things on/off (I know I am) a good addon to acquire to do it automatically based on zone is LoggerHead. Found here: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/loggerhead

Good luck :)

Postby Dozbert » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:20 am

Hi there!

I have been playing my druid casually for a while now, but since I've reached 90 recently, I'm trying to improve my gameplay. I have found this thread very informative and useful, but I have some questions regarding my DPS.
I have gone up against a Raid Dummy with Leafkiller's Ovale script and with BadKitty, and Recount showed that I was around 25-28k most of the time, peaking at 38-40k, (50 or 75k with TF and Berserk) popping TF whenever possible, but when I was low on energy and waiting for enough to use a spell, it went down to about 12k for a short amount of time. Now my question is that is it normal, or the best would be if there was a more steady landscape to my DPS chart?
(My iLVL is 445ish)

Thanks,
Dozbert

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:23 am

Dozbert wrote:Hi there!

I have been playing my druid casually for a while now, but since I've reached 90 recently, I'm trying to improve my gameplay. I have found this thread very informative and useful, but I have some questions regarding my DPS.
I have gone up against a Raid Dummy with Leafkiller's Ovale script and with BadKitty, and Recount showed that I was around 25-28k most of the time, peaking at 38-40k, (50 or 75k with TF and Berserk) popping TF whenever possible, but when I was low on energy and waiting for enough to use a spell, it went down to about 12k for a short amount of time. Now my question is that is it normal, or the best would be if there was a more steady landscape to my DPS chart?
(My iLVL is 445ish)

Thanks,
Dozbert

With so low an ilvl I doubt many here will know what your dps should be. You should go to the AH and buy a bunch of the 450 pvp gear (Contender's - it is cheap) so you can break 450 for heroics and then acquire a few pieces from heroics, faction vendors and the AH (the 476 gloves and chest should be pretty cheap) to get above 460 for LFR. There is really no reason to sit at an ilvl that low.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:05 am

As an aside: if you're reasonably wealthy the most cost-efficient upgrades will be the darkmoon faire trinket (Relic of Xuen) and the epic crafted chest if you can get your hands on it. For weapons you'll have to be lucky on raid drops or coins but you can also grind sha of fear and hope for gloves. Galleon also drops a pretty decent helm if it isn't camped by horde on your server.

Postby Dozbert » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:09 am

Leafkiller wrote:With so low an ilvl I doubt many here will know what your dps should be. You should go to the AH and buy a bunch of the 450 pvp gear (Contender's - it is cheap) so you can break 450 for heroics and then acquire a few pieces from heroics, faction vendors and the AH (the 476 gloves and chest should be pretty cheap) to get above 460 for LFR. There is really no reason to sit at an ilvl that low.

Well I have actually crafted the entire Contender's Leather set for myself, since it was way better tan anything I have owned at that time, but the trinkets and the other items drag my iLVL down, still trying to get better ones, but in every single dungeon only plate/mail and caster eqiupment dropped so far. But I'll rasie the itemlevel and check my DPS then. Thank you for the replies, I'll keep the tips in mind.

Thanks,
Dozbert

Return to Kitty DPS