Register

Quick question about T14 4pc - Refresh rip early?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Quick question about T14 4pc - Refresh rip early?

Postby feralminded » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

I got my four piece a week ago and last week I intentionally opted out of refreshing rip until TF was back (though I was quite attentive about having my CPs ready when it did come back). While this certainly is easier and "feels" pretty good I can't seem to find out if this optimal. I know this essentially caps me at best case 90% rip uptime, but it's at best 90% uptime (my feng log shows closer to 75% here though I'm not certain this was my best pull on this boss despite the rank) with 100% TF vs at best 100% with ~60% uptime for TF. My napkin math tells me this is too close to call so I was curious what the community here thought. Honestly as a raid leader I look for any corners I can cut and still be effective so I'm wondering how much this costs me, if anything.
Nosis, GM of Neolutum, always recruiting

Exalted

Re: Quick question about T14 4pc - Refresh rip early?

Postby aggixx » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 pm

If you assume perfect uptime (100% vs ~90% with synced to TF) you would do about 3.5% more damage by syncing it with TF. The problem you'd probably run into is it's going to cost you DPS by forcing a constraint on your CP usage like that, in order to pull it off you're probably going to have to do a lot of less than ideal Savage Roar refreshes which is probably going to lose all the DPS you gained.

I can't imagine it would be too far behind a more normal usage but I highly doubt it would be superior. But that's only on a patchwerk type situation, if you throw target switching, multiple targets, etc into the situation it's going to make it impossible to maintain without destroying your Rip uptime (or hurting your DPS elsewhere by spending your CPs on clipping Rip all the time to get it resynced).

Re: Quick question about T14 4pc - Refresh rip early?

Postby feralminded » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:20 am

Very interesting. Honestly I find it just easier mentally to sync it but that's because I've trained my mind to believe that an un-TF'd rip is not a "real" rip anyhow (even before 4 piece I'd try and secretly find ways not to refresh until TF like if there was movement that had to happen I'd try and prioritize it around those last 6 seconds, etc). That said I see your point and I know I'm NOT perfect about refreshing it immediately after TF (or rather I'm not perfect about having the CP's banked) and this is definitely going to cost me DPS. For me at least, mentally, it's nice to know that in my mind I can get a strong rip up and then can forget about watching it's timer and only have to worry about TF's timer ... less mental clutter on my own rotation is more I can put into the raid which is probably a net gain in terms of the 24 other people (I've learned that I can't really DoC and raid lead for similar reasons). I appreciate the math enabling a tacit justification of my laziness, thanks a bunch. =)
Nosis, GM of Neolutum, always recruiting

Return to Kitty DPS