Register

Any tools to know which order to upgrade items in?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Revered

Any tools to know which order to upgrade items in?

Postby ShmooDude » Sun May 19, 2013 7:19 pm

Weapon is obvious, but after that I'm not sure if trinkets are best (or it might even be before trinkets). Other slots can probably be mathed out but if anyone knows of a tool that does this automatically all the better.

Honored

Re: Any tools to know which order to upgrade items in?

Postby Elamari » Sun May 19, 2013 7:53 pm

I haven't mathed any of this so it's just my opinion. But I think the idea was;

1. weapon
2. OP trinkets
3. then items with large stat "budget", chest, legs, helm etc...

This is probably depend on loads of other variables as well; if items have sockets, the itemization of gear e.g favoring mastery / crit items over items with hit/expertise/haste etc...

I think probably the best way is it sim it. Upgrade 1 item, sim it, then upgrade a different item sim it and compare the two to see which gives the best dps increase. I'm sure there will be people here who will have done this and be able to shed some more light in the issue.

~Elamari
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

File under Feral - http://fileunderferal.wordpress.com/

Honored

Postby Vami » Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 am

What Elamari said.

Also, if you own any BiS items, it might be wise to upgrade them among the first items since they'll stay with you until the next raid comes. Weapon is good to upgrade anyway, and maybe trinkets too, but if you're gonna replace some other item really soon... Yeah, common sense says no.

So, for example, I'm going to upgrade the weapon, trinkets, hands, pants and head. Since I have a TF version of the head, I'm probably not going to get the Ra-den chest first anyway, so might as well upgrade that. Manny manny stats = good.

Anyway, you'll get everything upgraded in a couple of weeks if you just farm the valor cap... So luckily this isn't such a big choice as it was before. :)

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Mon May 20, 2013 7:55 am

Considering that with 3000 valor cap pre patch you can upgrade 8 items same week 3k+1k I would call this tier to lessen the trouble.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Mon May 20, 2013 9:16 am

Also remember tier isn't TF-able. So if you're still holding out hope you might get lucky one day and finally grab an elusive TF piece (lol!) tier might be the better upgrade in the short term (obviously depending on the situation).

Honored

Postby Elamari » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 am

Oh I totally forgot about Thunderforged items. Yeah definitely them and any items that you wont be upgrading for a while.

Sorcerer wrote:Considering that with 3000 valor cap pre patch you can upgrade 8 items same week 3k+1k I would call this tier to lessen the trouble.

^^ Pretty much this ^^ It wont take to long to upgrade all of you gear, providing you don't get gear upgrades faster than you can VP upgrade.

~Elamari
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

File under Feral - http://fileunderferal.wordpress.com/

Postby zoopercat » Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Hey, I'm from Ask Mr. Robot. I was stopping by to post about some things we updated for druids and saw this thread. We actually have a VP upgrade tool to help with just this. The easy way to do it is with our premium feature, the upgrade finder. Everyone gets a free trial that lasts a week (and we never ask for your credit card during the trial).

The other way to do it is more tedious, but free. You can play around with upgrades on our site by manually upgrading them and look at the difference in the score.

Here's a blog post about the premium feature. And to the OP: if you pm me your AMR user name, I'll hook you up with a month of free premium because Mr. Robot said he likes you.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Tue May 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Weapons and Trinkets > all unless they're total piles of crap and you'd rather not spend the VP (although if you're capping each week it's not a bad idea to just focus on the largest short term upgrades). I'm hundreds of hit rating overcap post-reforging and upgrading my VP trinket is still significantly better than anything but upgrading my Rune and Weapon.

After you upgrade your Weapons and Trinkets the best items are going to be the ones that will not cause Hit and Expertise waste and have the biggest item budget. For me this is my tier chest because it is a large budgeted item and I can manage the extra expertise, and my legs and helm because they are also large budgeted pieces and have no hit or expertise on them.

The item level of pieces isn't the end all be all of piece selection but it does probably relate to how likely you are to replace the item which is a factor worth considering if all else is equal.

Return to Kitty DPS