Register

Feral DPS...am I missing something?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Feral DPS...am I missing something?

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:32 am

Okay, I've been playing feral dps since TBC and I know that I know the spec/rotation inside out. But, I came across something that's had me confused.

I was raiding with another Feral Druid last reset who, was same ilvl as me. But yet, during the raid he was doing an extra 20k/30k than I was. So naturally, I armory checked him. And he had RoR trink. Which, is one yet I still yet need to drop. I know this trink is a big dps increase which is probably why he was doing more.

But also, I noticed that he was using Thrash a lot more than me as well. Now correct me if i'm wrong but, I'm aware that Thrash isn't really in single target rotation and therefore you only use it when you have a clear casting proc and buffed with DoC. But it seemed that this guy, was using it more than I was.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, do I really need to throw Thrash in a lot more? I understand RoR gives him the boost over me which is the only reason I can think of that he was way ahead of myself.
Last edited by CóladaEU on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Feral DPS...am I missing something?

Postby Azarri » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:06 am

Thrash is a DPS up single target even without using it on clear-casting procs, in fact most won't be. You should be trying to keep the DoT up whenever Rip/Rake and SR are ticking. A decent Thrash uptime would probably range from 80/85% on an average encounter.
Last edited by Azarri on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:33 am

So if I'm understanding this correctly what you're saying is, while I have my Rip, Rake, Savage Roar all up and ticking by using trash while building combo points is going to give the increase? Rather than just using Thrash on a clear casting proc?

Honored

Postby Paloro » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am

Yup, prioritize having Rip/Rake/SR up first, but if you have some energy to spare it is a single target increase to hard cast Thrash.

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:35 am

Ahh! That's one thing I was missing. Thanks.

But I guess, the extra 20k or so the guy was above me isn't just down to that thrash. It's got to be down to RoR. We were both at 540ilvl.

Postby Azarri » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:38 am

Hard to say for sure without seeing logs but I would say RoR definately plays a factor in the DPS difference.

Honored

Postby Paloro » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:49 am

Couple RoR and not hard casting thrash at 540 itlvl, 20k is definitely forseeable

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Ya having Rune can make a very big difference. Don't forget that Rune will buff Thrashes bleed as well, so he is getting double service out of it. About the uptime, you really don't need to try and get it in the 80% range. Just make sure you aren't going to lose any uptime on everything else and then use Thrash. If you hit 80% awesome, but RNG factors in a lot of how much uptime you can get.

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Well the raid itself where we raided with other HC guild members wasn't logged. As my guild has gone inactive from raiding until 5.4 now.

But, when I checked on DPS meter these were the top 3 damaging abilities used by both.

Myself: Rip, Rake, Melee

Him: Thrash, Rip, Rake.

It's a shame I can't really provide logs from the raid. I've just looked and none were recorded.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:05 pm

I assume you don't mean those where his top 3 damage sources in order? If Thrash is the highest portion of your damage on a single target fight you're doing something horribly horribly wrong. In order for it to pass Melee damage on a single target you would have to have very very poor autoattack uptime (or perhaps absolutely ridiculous RoR luck).

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:34 pm

aggixx wrote:I assume you don't mean those where his top 3 damage sources in order? If Thrash is the highest portion of your damage on a single target fight you're doing something horribly horribly wrong. In order for it to pass Melee damage on a single target you would have to have very very poor autoattack uptime (or perhaps absolutely ridiculous RoR luck).

Ridiculous RoR luck might favor Rake and Rip much more than Thrash.

Honored

Postby Paloro » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:43 pm

Unless it was tortos......

Postby CóladaEU » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:12 pm

aggixx wrote:I assume you don't mean those where his top 3 damage sources in order? If Thrash is the highest portion of your damage on a single target fight you're doing something horribly horribly wrong. In order for it to pass Melee damage on a single target you would have to have very very poor autoattack uptime (or perhaps absolutely ridiculous RoR luck).

Nah, his weren't in order. Mine were. I always have Rip as my highest damage source.

Even on single target fights, it seemed that his Thrash was up there with Rip, Rake, Melee. This is why I made the post as before, I was only using Thrash on single target fights when I got a clear casting. But as it's said, I guess this is where RoR comes into play again as Tinder said, Rune buffs Thrash so he gets double service.

Feck, really need for the damn trinket to drop as loot or coin!

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Rip Rake Melee should be your three highest on a single target, with Rip and Rake being noticeable above Melee (by about 5-10%, depends on your weapon) and on a good pull Rip will be a bit above Rake if you had a good one rolling for execute. Thrash should come in at something like half the damage of your autoattacks (about 1/3rd of your Rip or Rake damage).

Return to Kitty DPS