Register

expertise cap

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

Re: expertise cap

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 pm

Cg and Alpheus I am warning both of you now. I have been editing out your snips at each other all morning and it's getting old fast. There is good factual conversations here that we can have with out this turning into EJ's. If I have to edit any more posts to remove the snipes I am going to have to lock the thread and I don't want that. Please take a deep breath and argue with out the name calling.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:52 pm

As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't recommend for anyone to be under the Hit/Exp cap. Even though we get single target refunds and most cleave-able encounter adds are L92, missing sucks (especially if you're DoC.) As Feral, we have +100% melee modifier, we have short duration buffs, and we have effects that snapshot.

"0.16%" might feel like a small number, and probably impossible to feel it's effect on a target dummy or in your nightly raids, but there is a difference:

If I sim Kyubí in Catus using Patchwerk w/Shred:
Armory as-is = 222.5K
Hit/Exp Capped = 223.5K (175 excess Hit/Exp) => +0.44%

In general, these kinds of optimizations are not worth debating because the gains are too marginal, and they come at the expense of QoL.

For my experience, gear-oriented optimization doesn't hold a candle to rotational/play-style improvements.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:17 pm

My original point is that if your expertise is "only" at 7.34%, I can tell you that in the vast majority of gear sets you can get much closer to expertise cap without wasting any stats at all. If you're choosing to go for the 6% cap for 92-heavy encounter like Stenhaldi does, then thats fine, but it doesn't really make sense to go half way (barring gear limitations).

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:35 pm

aggixx wrote:My original point is that if your expertise is "only" at 7.34%, I can tell you that in the vast majority of gear sets you can get much closer to expertise cap without wasting any stats at all. If you're choosing to go for the 6% cap for 92-heavy encounter like Stenhaldi does, then thats fine, but it doesn't really make sense to go half way (barring gear limitations).

Keep in mind you do actually need high item levels, spiritstaff, the 608 cloak and a couple ra-den pieces to actually get your exp down to 6%, so at best this is a minor side-grade optimization, probably unsuited for any serious endeavors (at least for the vast majority of ferals).

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Alpheus wrote:
Stenhaldi wrote:On average, the value of the additional crit/haste/mastery exceeds that of the hit chance. Sometimes you'll get unlucky but on average it's a gain.

How much of a gain?

Something of order 0.3% overall damage against a single level 93 target. Rather modest and I would fault no one for preferring to cap for convenience -- I only object to the claim that not capping is a loss.

Previous

Return to Kitty DPS