Register

Log Merging?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

Log Merging?

Postby mekell » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Hey guys - was thinking something existed already...but if there is such a thing, i cant find it. So, i was pondering starting work on something to see if i could get it to a place where even primitive merging might be able to be done and then developing it from there.

Anyone know of anything existing? Or got any links to any threads on the theories of merging combat log files? I am looking to gather information on this as I realize this is actually a very complicated matter to work with.

- Mek

Exalted

Re: Log Merging?

Postby raffy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:43 am

Can you upload an example?

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:27 am

I'm not sure such a tool exists. It's probably possible but it would definitely be very very complicated.

Honored

Postby mekell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:37 am

Raffy - i dont really have an example i could upload, i am in the process of gathering information at the moment to try to see if anything already exists before i try to reinvent the wheel.

Basically the problem arises because combat logs are inherently ranged, and you cannot change that range any more. "range" as we typically think of it is rarely an issue. What the issue really is, is when fights cause players to go to separate "zones or instances", similar to Gara'jal in MSV. Someone combat logging outside of these instances areas do not see anything that goes on inside them, and visa-versa.

The goal would be to be able to take multiple logs from single sources on the same encounter and merge their logs together to form a single log for the entire encounter. This will take intelligent identification of which events are already accounted for (removing duplicates) and ensuring unique events from any of the logs get included in the final log. Ideally this would allow us to have a single log we could upload to WOL and have a single report rather than having to upload multiple and browse multiple to try to get the full picture of the fight.

I am tempted to start on a project to do this exact thing, but i just wanted to make sure a) i wasnt reinventing the wheel when something existed already, and b) trying to understand all the facets of this task so that nothing gets left out. At this point i have found a wiki link on the structure of the combat log, though it maybe slightly out of date, but it is a good start at the very least. My GL is sending me his logs from our raid tonite, and i recorded some as well. In our case, there shouldnt be any instances "phasing" as we didnt really do any bosses that have anything like that. But its a place to start :)

Any insight or info would greatly be appreciated. Additionally if this topic needs to be moved out of the Kitty DPS forum, please feel free. I think this forum gets the most participation, so i started here.

Postby Asashdor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:23 pm

AskMrRobot supported uploading multiple logs for SW:ToR and merged those internally. While there's quite a difference to WoW Logs (i.e. Logs in SW:ToR only tracked you and not the entire party/raid) perhaps you could ask the guys over there for some help.
I think there was at least one other tool which supported merging logs but as I've stopped playing SW:ToR about 2 years ago, I cant remember which one that was...

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 pm

Asashdor wrote:AskMrRobot supported uploading multiple logs for SW:ToR and merged those internally. While there's quite a difference to WoW Logs (i.e. Logs in SW:ToR only tracked you and not the entire party/raid) perhaps you could ask the guys over there for some help.

If those are personal logs (depicting mutually exclusive events) then that doesn't really help. The whole problem of log merging is to decide whether two identical-looking log entries depict the same or different events. Since log entries don't have unique identifiers, and because timestamps will vary for different clients, it will never be possible to decide this with perfect reliability -- but with enough care, you might get close. Wowmeteronline has log merging capability, for example, but it is not effective at this decision and creates a lot of duplicate events.

Postby Asashdor » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Afaik it has to merge incoming heals on player A with outgoing heals of player B or every heal would be counted twice so there should be at least a bit of log merging. Damage events are definitely exclusive to your own log, yes.

Honored

Postby Helistar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:27 am

I do not remember seeing log mergers anywhere.

I'm not sure that the problem will be very complex, but it will be slow. Events *should* look identical in all logs, so by using source/target guids and spell id/amounts you should be able to match events easily, but if I remember right, they can be in different order across logs, you'll need to do some backward/forward search and if serious lag is present you may end with duplicate events when you have lag spikes, unless your backward/forward search extends a lot.

Postby Shibumi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Check out the forums over at http://www.worldoflogs.com . The question has come up several times over there and there should be some discussion as to why they determined it to not be something to pursue; it should at least be informative.
Shiboomi of <Riot> on US-Sargeras

Postby Jaymzhendo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 am

It would be extremely time consuming but...

Couldn't you dig thru the log of Player A until they enter the "Twilight Realm" and then cut anything prior to that, and manually merge it into the log of Player B who did not enter the "Twilight Realm" ?? I'm pretty sure you can do this prior to upload, that is to say you can cut out a portion of the log (especially if you know the time stamp of when Player A entered the "Twilight Realm").

Or maybe to put it more simply... whenever a player enters a new realm isn't there a buff or debuff that is triggered in some form?

Whatever "invention" you come up with would simply have to find that buff or debuff and then edit out only what happens while that buff or debuff is active.

Just my 4am, bout to go to bed thoughts.

Honored

Postby mekell » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 am

Yeah i hve several ideas on how i want to tackle this, and my general plan is to start simple (less accurate) and work my way up from there. I think that will make things far more manageable given the time constraints i have as to when i can work on this.

I appreciate all the feed back guys.

Good luck in SOO tonight!

Return to Kitty DPS