Register

Hurricane Stick

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Revered

Hurricane Stick

Postby Tremnen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:29 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone had done any simming on which weapon would be the best HotW stick to use. In Theory since I use RoRo I would want a crit proc from the trinket during HotW (the idea of a 100% crit HotW hurricane makes me a little anxious/I cant wait to pull threat and die).

My assumption is that it is going to be the Seigecrafter Staff as it has Haste and Crit on it (with more crit than haste) no spirit allocation of stats and a red socket. This means it should no matter what polearm you have be able to proc a Crit HoTW if RoRo goes off during the duration. Also for the socket I assume I would be better off putting an intellect gem in it over an Agi gem?

If Raffy is reading this is there anyway we can get Catus support to compare HotW Hurricane damage based on different weapons like we can with the other abilities? For Instance I have a 567 agi pole arm and a 530 tot spell power staff that would proc Haste RoRo. Would it be worth it to weapon switch in that situation?

Exalted

Re: Hurricane Stick

Postby raffy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:12 pm

You can sim the damage, but I don't provide a modifier table for Hurricane or Wrath. Maybe in a future update, but I doubt it has much value. HotW is typically used at certain points in an encounter -- you rarely get to pick and choose when to use it -- so you basically get whatever modifiers are available. It is important to remember to use Synapse Springs during HotW however and any on-use effects. Treants (in caster) suck.

Encounter Setup: Cleave / Fixed Time: 45sec / Adds: whatever / [x] At Start / leave Frequency, Health, Lifetime blank (so they're immortal, and don't spawn any more.) Remember that Cleave encounter is 1+N, so 1(boss)+4(adds) = 5 targets.

Additionally, you might want to change the RPPM reset to 0 seconds. Possibly I should add some option that randomizes the reset, and there probably should be a way to impact ICD-based effects.

Make sure you have no Opener selected. You probably want to disable Potion use.

After selecting HotW talent, you'll need to enable: Hurricane, Swap Weapon, and Use Before Berserk. You'll also need to setup your Caster weapon. I haven't gotten around to adding all of the spell damage weapons, but you can batch add a bunch of them by id, but choosing "Edit..." from a weapon menu, or choosing "Edit Custom Gear..." under "Internal Features." There also is no audit warnings for the Caster Weapon, so make sure you gem/enchant/reforge.

Since the sim starts in Cat form, you'll do 1 melee at the start of the fight. However, it correctly weapon swaps out of combat, so there is no GCD.

You can generate a combat log to verify, but this should only produce 1 Melee attack + Hurricane Damage + associated procs, so it's sufficient for comparison. Doing a sim like this only takes about 2sec for 10k iterations.

If you're using a Rune, you can verify the proc, by hitting the Swap button (which swaps your primary and swap weapons), and then checking either the Rune tooltip description and/or the Rune reforge panel.

That said, this is probably complete overkill. I'd imagine a pure stat weight comparison would tell you the victor, however you never know with our current trinket situation.

To do your desired sim, setup Catus like I described above.
Do one sim with Swap Weapon disabled.
Do another with Swap Weapon enabled.
:)

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm

<3 i am at work right now i figured there was a work around but I couldnt do it myself. Thanks for the help!

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Haste re-origination is better for hurricane and also better for wrath unless you use it during bloodlust (in which case crit is better due to wrath's 100% haste cap). Difference of ~70% crit versus ~100% haste.

Revered

Postby ShmooDude » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Stenhaldi wrote:Haste re-origination is better for hurricane and also better for wrath unless you use it during bloodlust (in which case crit is better due to wrath's 100% haste cap). Difference of ~70% crit versus ~100% haste.

Are you sure about that? One quirk of the rune proc during hurricane is that your current hurricane's tick rate doesn't change doesn't change until you cast a new one but its crit rate is changed (at least that's what my cast bar shows). So depending on when the rune procs you can still benefit at least partially (until you have to recast hurricane) from your original haste rating while getting that 70% crit and then as soon as rune ends, recast hurricane so you're on a hasted hurricane.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I am updating haste dynamically (per tick) in Catus for Hurricane. I do not remember where this decision came from. Can anyone confirm how this works in game: what happens when you cast Hurricane and then benefit from a haste effect mid-channel?

Exalted

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:04 pm

ShmooDude wrote:
Stenhaldi wrote:Haste re-origination is better for hurricane and also better for wrath unless you use it during bloodlust (in which case crit is better due to wrath's 100% haste cap). Difference of ~70% crit versus ~100% haste.

Are you sure about that? One quirk of the rune proc during hurricane is that your current hurricane's tick rate doesn't change doesn't change until you cast a new one but its crit rate is changed (at least that's what my cast bar shows). So depending on when the rune procs you can still benefit at least partially (until you have to recast hurricane) from your original haste rating while getting that 70% crit and then as soon as rune ends, recast hurricane so you're on a hasted hurricane.

You can just recast hurricane when it procs to immediately get the +100% haste. And then you can also recast hurricane before the proc expires and get the +100% haste hurricane for an extra 4 seconds.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 pm

I made these changes to latest Catus (snapshot Hurricane tick-speed, recast on haste-gain). If you did any Hurricane work using it, I'd be curious if anything changed with the new update (and/or if I introduced any new bugs.)

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:00 pm

i'll check tonight with what i had yesterday :D

Return to Kitty DPS