Register

Check me over!

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

Check me over!

Postby Óak » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Hey guys,

Recently I've seen a few posts on this forum with people linking some logs and you guys offering feedback, I've finally got some logs of a boss fight I was happy with, I'm wondering if you'd be kind enough to have a look over them and tell me where I can improve.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/754p ... 565&e=8927

That was our Iron Juggernaut tonight.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... 3ak/simple - Armoury

-Óak

Revered

Re: Check me over!

Postby Alpheus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:13 pm

You did pretty well considering your item level (weapon and rune). There was a strong trinket overlap about 2 minutes into the fight which you didn't take advantage off and you could've used defensive a bit more aggresively to shove off some incoming damage. I'm not really a fan of Haromm's so I can't really comment on that but try to keep him in sight. As for the fight itself, I'd prefer using FoN on this since it's as much as a patchwerk fight as it gets (about 3-4% increase in dps).

Honored

Postby Óak » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:35 pm

Didn't actually realise FoN was an option, will certainly look into that for next time.

My weapon is hurting me right now I know, I'm also wondering whether I want to be keeping Rune of Re-Origination or whether I want to be going for AoC. Even if I keep RoRO, is AoC better paired with it? Looking at the trinket comparisons on here, Harroms was better (all be it marginally) than AoC.

As for defensives, yeah, fortunately on normal with 3 healers, you never really feel like your in danger of dying, looking at the logs I only used Survival Instincts once, so I imagine there was only one moment where I thought "oh shit".

I feel mostly happy about that kill, I've been looking at logs of some other ferals on the same fight where the fight was shorter and the other ferals have either heroic RoRO and/or 561/567 weapons, yet most did ~20k less DPS.

Honored

Postby inferiorlol » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:32 am

óak wrote:I feel mostly happy about that kill, I've been looking at logs of some other ferals on the same fight where the fight was shorter and the other ferals have either heroic RoRO and/or 561/567 weapons, yet most did ~20k less DPS.

Sounds like you mostly wanted some pats on the back instead of people critiquing your play?

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 am

inferiorlol wrote:
óak wrote:I feel mostly happy about that kill, I've been looking at logs of some other ferals on the same fight where the fight was shorter and the other ferals have either heroic RoRO and/or 561/567 weapons, yet most did ~20k less DPS.

Sounds like you mostly wanted some pats on the back instead of people critiquing your play?

Actually, oak explicitly asked for hints to improve. This is his own assessment or "feeling" after the fight. Feeling good about a fight and one's performance does not mean thinking that there is no room for improvement.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored

Postby Óak » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:20 pm

inferiorlol wrote:Sounds like you mostly wanted some pats on the back instead of people critiquing your play?

Well the way I feel about the fight is quite important, If I feel really happy about the performance but in actual fact I did everything wrong, what good is that? Just proves I don't really know what I'm doing.

I'm sure people will critique my play whether I ask for it or not, so posting logs just to expect a pat on the back is a little pointless, wouldn't you say?

Pats on the back are always nice, but personally I'd rather you gave me tips on how to make that number even bigger (hence this thread) and then I'll post logs for you to drool over.

If you can find places I can improve that, I'd love to hear what I can do to be better. If not then I guess I'm worthy of that pat on the back? I very much doubt I did everything perfectly, in fact my defensive play has already been criticized, so let's assume I'm not here for you guys to make me feel good.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:15 pm

honestly everything looks pretty good. Only thing I would say looks "wrong" is instead of lining up your 2nd pot with the 2nd beserk you should have saved it to buff a bigger rip for the execute phase. Also if you have a good idea of how long a fight will last it may be benificial to not use the 2nd beserk on cooldown like you did and hold it for a trinket proc if you know you will not get a third beserk. In this case you almost had enough time to get a third but if you do Iron juggernaut on normal again I'd hold the 2nd beserk for when you had one or both trinkets up.

Honored

Postby Óak » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Tremnen wrote:honestly everything looks pretty good. Only thing I would say looks "wrong" is instead of lining up your 2nd pot with the 2nd beserk you should have saved it to buff a bigger rip for the execute phase. Also if you have a good idea of how long a fight will last it may be benificial to not use the 2nd beserk on cooldown like you did and hold it for a trinket proc if you know you will not get a third beserk. In this case you almost had enough time to get a third but if you do Iron juggernaut on normal again I'd hold the 2nd beserk for when you had one or both trinkets up.

That's actually very useful, didn't consider the berserk timing on that fight. Will certainly save it for a trinket proc next time, now that I know roughly how long the fight will last with the DPS we have. Will also save that second potion.

Thanks for the feedback Tremnen

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:04 pm

óak wrote:
Tremnen wrote:honestly everything looks pretty good. Only thing I would say looks "wrong" is instead of lining up your 2nd pot with the 2nd beserk you should have saved it to buff a bigger rip for the execute phase. Also if you have a good idea of how long a fight will last it may be benificial to not use the 2nd beserk on cooldown like you did and hold it for a trinket proc if you know you will not get a third beserk. In this case you almost had enough time to get a third but if you do Iron juggernaut on normal again I'd hold the 2nd beserk for when you had one or both trinkets up.

That's actually very useful, didn't consider the berserk timing on that fight. Will certainly save it for a trinket proc next time, now that I know roughly how long the fight will last with the DPS we have. Will also save that second potion.

Thanks for the feedback Tremnen

now if only I would listen to my own advice lol.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:03 pm

His berserk usage is fine, it should be popped on cooldown without delay unless there's significant downtime phases on the boss (which there aren't on Iron Juggernaut). The 2nd pot should be kept for trinket overlaps, in your case right after 2nd berserk where you had a back-to-back haromm's and Rune proc. Never delay zerk hoping for trinket procs, especially on fights lasting 5-6m and 8-9m (timings are different with AoC).

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Alpheus wrote:

His berserk usage is fine, it should be popped on cooldown without delay unless there's significant downtime phases on the boss (which there aren't on Iron Juggernaut). The 2nd pot should be kept for trinket overlaps, in your case right after 2nd berserk where you had a back-to-back haromm's and Rune proc. Never delay zerk hoping for trinket procs, especially on fights lasting 5-6m and 8-9m (timings are different with AoC).

Its not a recommendation for progression but its a common parsing tactic to hold cooldowns for trinket procs when you know a fight has a set timer before it will end. This kind of mentality is also very useful in challenge modes where cooldown usage should be restrained for when you know you will need it on a fight. This is very much in the same vein as holding TF's for the 40 second mark in P2 of lei-shen to abuse last tier's 4pc for example when Ball Lightnings spawn. If you aren't certain of when a fight will end obv you should be using it on cooldown to try and fit another one in. With AoC the cooldown reduction on Beserk definitely puts it in a place where you wouldn't want to hold it for any reason except for if you know an ICD trinket is about to come off cooldown very soon..

Return to Kitty DPS