Register

Mangle vs. Shred

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Mangle vs. Shred

Postby Ulthwé » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 pm

So I've been reading the forums a bit, looking for little tidbits that might help me improve my dps a bit. On the topic of mangle vs. shred, I've seen people mention that if your using SotF, you should use mangle only? I guess I'm under the assumption that in general shred should be your main combo point generator since its more powerful than mangle due to the buff from bleeding targets. What makes mangle better using SotF than using shred in its place?

Here is my spell breakdown on Iron Juggernaut. I guess I'm wondering if I would do more damage if I was using strictly only mangle?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-h ... 859&e=8166

Exalted

Re: Mangle vs. Shred

Postby raffy » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:43 pm

There are a bunch of ways to answer this question (damage, DPE, efficiency, talent benefit, simulation) and there have been other threads created on this topic, so here is my interpretation:
- If you play like a robot, Shred-only appears to win in simulation by a tiny margin
- If you're experienced, Shred during Heroism/Berserk, and Mangle otherwise (Shrangle setting in Catus)
- Else, use Mangle

Our rotation is complex. When you are offered the opportunity to simplify (2 buttons vs. 1 button) and it results in very minimal DPS loss, I'd say it's actually a gain in practice. I haven't checked this, but I'd imagine there are no high ranking Feral parses that strictly use Shred. The brainpower spent deciding when to Mangle or Shred is better spent on the rest of your rotation.

The easiest way to improve is by focusing on the strongest parts of our rotation (roar/bleed uptime and bleed clipping) and simplify all the marginal stuff (like deciding between Shred/Mangle.)

Re: Mangle vs. Shred

Postby Ulthwé » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:06 am

I figured there was a page on this topic, but I've been unable to locate it. May I get a link if at all possible? Sorry for the trouble.

Return to Kitty DPS