Register

Never raided. How to prepare for it?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Never raided. How to prepare for it?

Postby Harpua » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:03 pm

This is my second stint in WOW. First was during TBC. Started with a new account at the launch of MOP. I have run dungeons, but never raided.

I'm at a point where the next logical step is LFR. I know I'm not very good in scenarios or dungeons. And since I work nights, being in a guild is a bit of a joke. Prime time is work time for me.

I don't expect to top the dps charts, but I don't want to be the guy who lets the raid down. So the basic question is how do I prepare? How do I know if I'm ready?

I have watched videos but it's not like being there. They are never shot from feral-eye view. I know there is no substitute for the real thing. I'd just like to be as prepared as possible.

Re: Never raided. How to prepare for it?

Postby Ardezar » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Hi Harpua,

As you mentioned LFR should be a good environment for you. From my experiences no one cares how well or how badly you are doing at your role so you are free to experiment/practice. Read the rotation section in the feral DPS guide that is stickied in the forum and practice.

Download a damage meter addon to track your performance and make sure your UI is setup so you can keep track of bleeds/buffs/CDs easily. When you know the rotation by heart and you feel like you are making very few mistakes, then you know you are ready for raiding. There are guilds that don't raid at prime time and there are guilds that are more casual/relaxed with only one or two raid nights a week. I suggest you find one of those to begin once you feel ready so you can experience the fun that raiding is.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:18 am

LFR is a great way to get a taste of raiding without too many mechanics to deal with. Still, it can't hurt to be prepared so take a look at WoW Insider (wow.joystiq.com), they have "LFR Bosses in 5 Seconds" guides that tell you the most important boss mechanics to watch out for, in a brief form.

If you'd like to progress to guild raiding, look for a guild that will accept that you're new to raiding. I found that you can make up for experience and performance by being punctual for raids, and being prepared, which means having read up on the bosses you're going to tackle that night and bringing your own flasks, potions, and buff foods. Many raids provide buff feasts for everyone but it's always a good idea to have your own stack as well.
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored

Postby Helistar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:19 am

Harpua wrote:And since I work nights, being in a guild is a bit of a joke. Prime time is work time for me.

If you can handle some more latency, have you considered playing in a completely different timezone? (I suggest because I've seen people do this).

Return to Kitty DPS