At wit's end... again.

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Honored

Re: At wit's end... again.

Postby bearpelt » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:52 pm

These are logs from last night's raid:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kgor9 ... boss=71865

I've managed to bump up my Rip and Rake uptimes with a significant DPS increase (Garrosh only lol) but my Thrash is still about 65% ._____. Thank you so much, fellow kitties. I don't feel so horrible any more but know there's still room for a lot of improvement!

Honored

Postby teddabear » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:38 pm

I would only question your thrash uptime if I saw a lot of ferocious bites. Since you have 10x as many thrashes as FB I assume the thrash uptime is due to overwriting bleeds during procs which is as it should be.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:06 am

Thank you for the input, Teddabear

I'm still a little confused at FB usage. Right now I'm seeing it as an energy dump at 5 CP with Rip, Rake, SR and Thrash up at more than half their duration at good snapshots.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:30 pm

bearpelt wrote:Thank you for the input, Teddabear

I'm still a little confused at FB usage. Right now I'm seeing it as an energy dump at 5 CP with Rip, Rake, SR and Thrash up at more than half their duration at good snapshots.

Add to that being at 80+ energy and you're rock solid.

Honored

Postby teddabear » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:37 am

Your FB's are actually quite low but I am guessing you didn't make it into "blood in the water" phase for most of those tries. FYI that's a clever reference to a famous Olympic water polo match. The more cautious I became with FB the higher and more consistent my DPS became.
In addition to 80+ energy I would add 6+ seconds on Rip, Rake, SR, Thrash and Tiger's Fury. Unless although those conditions are met I will just waste a Shred or put up a new SR. Keep in mind gearing matters a lot though. I do not have 4pc but I do have a 580 AOC which will make my rotation work much differently from somebody with 4pc and Heroic RoR.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:10 am

Thanks Alpheus and teddabear.

On the account of my FBs being pretty low, sometimes I overwrite the Rips with a much higher bleed if RoR and something else procs. Should I forsake that and just use BitW since Garrosh regens shortly after anyway?

(So sorry for the questions. I've never gone into this much detail before and I do want to silence some haters in raid about my lacking DPS soon >.>)

Honored

Postby Ekthelion » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:02 am

You should absolutely always refresh a weaker Rip with a stronger one.

If your timing is right, you should be able to put a very strong Rip before going under 10% (and thus renegerate) and during the transformation you should be still able to refresh that strong Rip, so when boss "comes back", your Rip has almost full time duration. In this moment you pray for your raid dps to be high enough to allow you refresh it with FB before Mind Control.

As I said before (and someone else mentioned) it's possible to keep a very strong Rip for quite a bit, even with the regen of the boss (also remember to refresh it when it comes to the 4th phase).
Da Vuhdo iz wid'ya mon!

Postby mystidruid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:59 am

I had good success with the following timing. After 2nd intermission (we used the hide in the back and do nothing strat) and usually before the 2nd empowered whirl was when I could safely apply a BitW Rip and keep it till 0% phase 3. We would push him to sub 25% right before the whirl and i refreshed with FB before running away and then displacer beasting back in. As the boss goes in the P3 push i would refresh again just before he regened. Then just be sure to refresh before MC's and enjoy the longest BitW Rip :)

On our kill Sunday I was lucky enough to get rune, haromms, pot, TF'd rip on him at 30% phase 2 and rolled that the whole way. Made for 30 million more damage then the next closest dps in that burn :)

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:56 pm

Also, if you're doing the TED opening on Garrosh - once you have established your RIP and have extended 3 times - right after the ferocious bite if berserk is still up you can rake a nearby warbringer and rip him. Due to how extensions work (ie. they're "saved" to your character and not to mobs) you can extend your "OMFG-RIP" from the pull 3 more times which does wonders for average bleed power during Phase 1.

Postby iamcat » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:36 pm

wait, extending a rip will extend all your other rips? or what? or do you mean moving it to the warbringer iwht soul swap? care to explain bit, maybe i misunderstood

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:07 pm

iamcat wrote:wait, extending a rip will extend all your other rips? or what? or do you mean moving it to the warbringer iwht soul swap? care to explain bit, maybe i misunderstood

Rip extension is a resource which you carry on yourself every time you apply a new rip. So if you rip one target, extend 3 times and then rip another target you can now choose which of the two you spend your 3 new extensions on.
Conversely, this can also work against you: if you rip one target (ie. doing berserk with procs) and then try to get up another strong rip on another target (without extending the first) you will now only be able to extend a total of 3 times on both rips combined. One would expect that you could extend both rips 3 times EACH for a total of 6, but this is not the case. This is because Rip extension as a resource is inherent to your player and not the rips themselves.

You can easily test this on target dummies, it's a lot easier with berserk.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Regarding rip extensions, a couple of years ago I wrote a WeakAuras script to keep track of that resource. Just something people might find useful.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:17 am

I had no idea about the Rip extension resetting with another application of it on another target. Things I've never known all these years.... O_O

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:14 pm

mystidruid wrote:I had good success with the following timing. After 2nd intermission (we used the hide in the back and do nothing strat) and usually before the 2nd empowered whirl was when I could safely apply a BitW Rip and keep it till 0% phase 3. We would push him to sub 25% right before the whirl and i refreshed with FB before running away and then displacer beasting back in. As the boss goes in the P3 push i would refresh again just before he regened. Then just be sure to refresh before MC's and enjoy the longest BitW Rip :)

On our kill Sunday I was lucky enough to get rune, haromms, pot, TF'd rip on him at 30% phase 2 and rolled that the whole way. Made for 30 million more damage then the next closest dps in that burn :)

he doesnt mention it here but if getting to phase 4 is your dps choke point and not phase 4 itself. using a potion when setting up the rip on the first Empowered Whirling Corruption is probably for the best as you can usually hold this same rip for the next minutes. I personally wait for my first rune proce after the boss hits ~35% and then hit potion and use 5CP for a rip. I have even stopped to hard cast a healing touch to boost a rip for this as this rip will be maintained for so long most likely it will be worth the cast time.

Postby iamcat » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:27 am

Stenhaldi wrote:Regarding rip extensions, a couple of years ago I wrote a WeakAuras script to keep track of that resource. Just something people might find useful.

amazing, thanks. i had no idea

Postby Neverpullout » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:07 pm

same I never knew that. I'm going to have some fun with 1 CP rips to extend my big TED RoRo rips long enough to hit BiTW phase. I love this forum!

Previous

Return to Kitty DPS