Register

Has anyone considered the boomkin lvl 100 talents?

Face-rippin fun.
Revered

Has anyone considered the boomkin lvl 100 talents?

Postby Tremnen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Balance druid have been blowing up over Touch of Elune but have any ferals been looking at Might of Malorne? This talent will essentially change the Balance Druid stat priority to favor Mastery (as they will be always in an eclpise state) and will essentially make them Mastery >= Crit (need numbers to confirm which will be better) > Haste putting them much closer in line with our stat priorities. To me with the addition of gear swapping base stats this means druids could be in line to being the only class in the game that having current content duo ranged and melee dps specs are viable and not a gear problem for their raid. We'd essentially use the same gear minus trinkets. I'd love to be able to swap between fights entire specs on a whim.

Exalted

Re: Has anyone considered the boomkin lvl 100 talents?

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Remember its only Leather, Cloth, Mail, Plate that changes stats. Weapons, Trinkets, and jewelry will not change stats. Don't forget about Ele/Enh Shaman too.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

with the ability to raid heroics and mythiks in the same week though i feel the not having trinkets and rings and weapons isnt as big of a downside as it used to be. having 2 full sets of tier is also a big upside. Totally forgot about ele/enh but they dont share the same stat priorities now and I have no idea what their looking at going into WoD.

edit.: I am just excited i might have an offspec that might be relevant to progression next expansion :D/

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:25 pm

Don't make the assumption that the stat priorities we have now (and that boomkins might have) are going to mean anything in WoD. Their stated intention is to make all secondary stats desirable for everyone. Not saying it's going to happen, but whenever they do try and change things our priorities never stay the same.

As it is right now we are going to need some changes to make up for the fact that snapshotting is gone. Until we know what those changes are going to be we really can't be getting to far ahead of ourselves.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:25 pm

easiest change to me is just bumping up the base scaling of agility on the bleeds. i honesty cant see a world where haste is an immportant stat for us next expansion and with the removal of haste break points casters arent going to need it unless they rely on procs off their dots (which boomkin does to some extent but not to the extent of crit).

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Tremnen wrote:with the removal of haste break points casters arent going to need it unless they rely on procs off their dots (which boomkin does to some extent but not to the extent of crit).

That's not how dot hasting works, DoT DPS scaling will be the exact same in Warlords as it is right now, it's just that instead of the DoT gaining DPET whenever you cross a breakpoint, DPET gain will be linear too (or exponential if the dot cast time is affected by haste). Basically what that means is, if you didn't like haste you weren't getting breakpoints before, and if you do like haste you'll still like it just as much as you do now.

Here's some graphs to demonstrate, with these parameters:
Spoiler: show
base_tick_time := 2;
base_ticks := 10;
tick_damage := 200;
base_cast_time := 1.5;

Anyways I agree with Tinder, it's pretty much impossible to predict a single spec's stat priority before we get our hands on beta, expecting to be accurate about 2 is just unrealistic.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:41 pm

Because I had no idea what they were: http://wowhead.com/talent-wod#d

I'd love to stick some of this stuff in Catus2 and start playing with it; but I think it's just way too early to tell.

Revered

Postby Tremnen » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:32 pm

i know how DoT hasting works but part of the reason you went for break points was so you could get additional ticks improving your chances of procs based on those ticks. with the new haste model you will want exactly 1 haste rating more than the break point to get an additional tick. Even if that tick will be for only 1 or 2 damage if it procs an ability like shooting stars its well worth it (assuming partial ticks can proc passives like shooting stars).

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 am

I doubt it will work that way. The logical way for them to do it would be to give fractional ticks a equally fractional chance at proccing effects (eg: Shooting Stars has a 30% proc chance, so a quarter tick would only have a 7.5% proc chance).

Also, even if that's not the case, you're only gaining that benefit when you let the DoT expire.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:10 pm

aggixx wrote:I doubt it will work that way. The logical way for them to do it would be to give fractional ticks a equally fractional chance at proccing effects (eg: Shooting Stars has a 30% proc chance, so a quarter tick would only have a 7.5% proc chance).

Also, even if that's not the case, you're only gaining that benefit when you let the DoT expire.

Well either way the "new" dot system will still have some emergent properties whatever they choose to go with. Worst-case scenario is that they have to deal with something more serious (or detrimental) by mid-tier. It's an iterative process after all and even if they pick the perfect solution it will probably wreck PvP :D

All things considered, I presume dps and healer classes will converge towards a performance distribution which will heavily devalue dots and hots and have some 2- or 4-set bonuses to make up for some of the lost flavor (perhaps even professions/gems á la our current LMG's?)

Return to Kitty DPS