Register

Heirloom staff good?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Heirloom staff good?

Postby Simbba » Sun May 18, 2014 10:07 pm

I've been very unlucky in getting the H WF Halberd of Inner Shadows weapon from Malkorok. Today i just got the Heroic Heirloom staff would that be better than the normal Heroic Halberd of Inner Shadows?

Exalted

Re: Heirloom staff good?

Postby Tinderhoof » Sun May 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Missed the :normal heroic" part. It will be very close. Catus will likely tell you one way or another.

Postby Simbba » Mon May 19, 2014 10:53 pm

How do i set it up on catus?

Exalted

Postby raffy » Tue May 20, 2014 12:14 am

Note: I have a tutorial in the Catus thread from 8 months ago: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4574&start=600#p19321
Note: I should add a special Quick Compare option that uses the gear stored in the Weapon Swap, but here is a quick rundown:
How to compare two different weapons:
(I don't know you armory so I don't know what weapon you have currently equipped or your ilvl or Rune use. I am assuming you can use Catus to do reforges.)
1.) import your kitty into Catus
2.) setup buffs/debuffs/etc: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4574&p=21579#p21579
3.) if you're lazy, just click (Use Recommended Settings) under "Encounter Configuration"
4.) clear out your weapon (red X)
5.) select [566] Halberd, upgrade it, and give it an enchant (reforger will handle the gems)
6.) reforge your gear
7.) click "Generate Distribution" under "Simulator: Distribution" or press [ctrl-D]
8.) clear out your weapon again (or click Swap under "Weapon Swap")
9.) select [574] Hellscream, give it the same enchant
10.) reforge your gear again
11.) trigger "Generate Distribution" again
This will give you maximum information, but you'll need to compare the final reports manually.
These 11 steps should take about 30secs (not including simulation) mostly because gear manipulations is tedious.

Alternatively, you could do the following:
1.) do steps 1-6 above
2.) at the top of the Catus window, click the configuration name (the white text) and select "Rename" and call it "First"
The configuration is now named "First".
3.) click green plus icon or press [ctrl-T]
This creates a new Catus profile and copies all of your existing settings.
3.) on the top of the Catus window, click the configuration name again (now called "First 2"), and select "Weapon"
The configuration is now named by your weapon.
5.) in the configuration selection menu, click "First" to return to the first configuration
6.) clear out your weapon again
7.) select [574] Hellscream, give it the same enchant again
8.) reforge your gear again
9.) under "Simulator: Quick Compare", do (Standard Iteration) (Use Current) and select the configuration named by the weapon we created earlier.
10.) you'll get a side-by-side simulation window that shows stats and live results
11.) additionally, under "Gear Compare", select the same configuration, to get a detailed report of the differences.

Here are some results for my own gear:
Note: you should let this simulation complete and not get fooled by premature results.
Code: Select all
Gear: 1 difference
          Main Hand: [574] Hellscream's Pig Sticker           => [574] Trident of Corrupted Waters

Reforges: 9 differences
               Head: Mastery > Haste                          => Critical Strike > Haste
               Neck: Haste > Critical Strike                  => None
              Chest: Critical Strike > Haste                  => Mastery > Haste
              Wrist: Hit > Mastery                            => Hit > Critical Strike
              Hands: Mastery > Haste                          => None
              Waist: Hit > Critical Strike                    => Hit > Mastery
               Legs: None                                     => Critical Strike > Mastery
           Finger 1: None                                     => Hit > Mastery
          Main Hand: Haste > Critical Strike                  => Expertise > Mastery

Enchants: 2 differences
               Back: Enchant Cloak - Superior Critical Strike => Enchant Cloak - Accuracy
              Hands: Enchant Gloves - Greater Haste           => Enchant Gloves - Superior Mastery

Sockets: 4 differences
     Finger 1/Bonus: None                                     => +60 Crit
    Main Hand/Bonus: +120 Agility                             => +60 Agility
 Main Hand/Socket#1: Red                                      => Blue
 Main Hand/Socket#2: Red                                      => None

Gems: 7 differences
         Head/Gem#2: Crafty Vermilion Onyx                    => Deft Vermilion Onyx
        Chest/Gem#3: Wicked Vermilion Onyx                    => Deft Vermilion Onyx
        Waist/Gem#1: Crafty Vermilion Onyx                    => Deft Vermilion Onyx
         Legs/Gem#2: Fractured Sun's Radiance                 => Quick Sun's Radiance
     Finger 1/Gem#1: Fractured Sun's Radiance                 => Lightning Wild Jade
    Main Hand/Gem#1: Keen Vermilion Onyx                      => Lightning Wild Jade
    Main Hand/Gem#2: Keen Vermilion Onyx                      => None

Tinkers: 0 differences

Stats: 6 differences
            Agility: -260 Agi                                 => +260 Agi
    Critical Strike: +294 Crit                                => -294 Crit
          Expertise: +40 Expertise                            => -40 Expertise
              Haste: +300 Haste                               => -300 Haste
                Hit: -98 Hit                                  => +98 Hit
            Mastery: +293 Mastery                             => -293 Mastery

Some notes about Catus Configurations:
Catus configurations are designed to be easily created (and destroyed.) Catus saves all of your configurations automatically. You create a new blank configuration with [ctrl-N], copy an existing configuration with [ctrl-T], and destroy a configuration with [ctrl-W]. You can think of these like browser tabs. The first 9 configurations are accessible by using [ctrl-#]. You can restore any configuration to the armory default using [ctrl-I].

The purpose of these configurations to make it easy to clone your settings and make small changes to it. I typically always start from a blank Catus configuration, import "Edgy", and then (Use Recommended Settings) and make a few minor tweaks to match my raid setup.

When you do a "Simulator: Quick Compare" against another profile, you have a few options: "Use Current" uses all of the settings in the current selected configuration for both simulations. This basically just does a gear vs gear comparison, where you only need to setup the simulator once. "Use Recommended" works the same way, except it temporary sets your configuration to the same specified by (Use Recommended Settings) before doing the simulation. No settings are actually changed with this option. Lastly, "Use Configuration" will use the individual configuration settings for each simulation. This is the most complex form of comparison, since you can compare any feature Catus provides, you just need to be very careful when you use it. Typically, you want to setup Catus exactly how you want it, then clone a tab, make a minor change, and do a comparison. Otherwise, it's very easy for small differences to accumulate as you experiment with things.

Often, configuration management is overkill and all you wanna do is get a quick answer. For example, I like to setup Catus how I want it, and then start changing things. Every time I find something I'm curious about, I press [ctrl-D] (or click Generate Distribution) to launch a new simulation. In the sim window, I give it a name "blah blah blah", and then return to Catus and continue launching more sims. After launching a significant number of sims, I get a drink of water, and by the time I return to my computer, I've got a pile of Catus reports. Assuming my naming scheme wasn't horrible, I can now figure out the results.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Tue May 20, 2014 1:47 am

Relative to the Malkorok polearm, the heirloom has a significantly higher total stat budget (by the equivalent of 100 agility), likely due to its extra socket.

Also, with further valor upgrades coming tomorrow, using the heirloom will save you 500 valor (it'll upgrade to 582 automatically).

Postby Simbba » Tue May 20, 2014 11:51 am

this is my armory ill do the catus something to do till servers are back up thanks stenhaldi

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... a/advanced

Heirlooms getting upgrade also GREAT! then i'll use the heirloom weapon till i can get the H WF http://www.wowhead.com/item=105560

Postby Simbba » Tue May 20, 2014 1:34 pm

for some reason in Catus it won't let me upgrade the heirloom weapon any help would be great. Even after i put the +8ilvl

Return to Kitty DPS