Register

The Not So Fine Details of Raiding as a Kitty - TIPS!!

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

The Not So Fine Details of Raiding as a Kitty - TIPS!!

Postby Druidohorde » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:10 pm

The finer mechanics of playing a kitty.

I see a lot of newer kitties worrying about more complicated rotations, and situations that provide minimal increases. Although I know every little bit helps and it is often the little things that separate the 25k, from the 27k dps kitties here are some other things that are easier to do but often forgotten:

1) Prepot, always, its free dps, don’t be cheap. Bring 50 to a raid for progression nights. Make sure whoever is pulling, does a count down for your raid.
2) Feral Charge, whenever you can. If it makes you dizzy, practice more.
3) Watch your Global Cooldowns (GCDs), and make sure when you hit TF, SI, Trinkets, or anything on its own GCD you’re not wasting a dps GCD ( like shred). For example, always hit TF+Berserk, and or trinket while you’re clicking shred or similar.
4) Watch your Energy. Make sure you don’t cap, pay particular attention to this during bloodlust phase.
5) If you have to, to prevent a capped energy bar and you can’t shred… mangle. Do something!
6) Watch your feet. If you need to take 3 steps out of fire, take 4 or 5… not 10 and then do a circle around the boss. We’re not goblins. Time is not money here, its DPS.
7) Know the fight mechanics. Prepare and position yourself accordingly. You can’t do astounding dps regardless of how well you know the rotation, or max/min your reforging if you get knocked around from boss mechanics. Time is dps.
8) For every fight, know the fight length…. Know how many berserks you’re going to have, and use them. You mess up the timing on a berserk, and its going to hurt your numbers.
9) Relax. When your energy bar is low, and everything is up… take a breather. You don’t need to be smashing buttons if your energy is low. You’re going to need to be ready for the next explosion.
10) Dash between mobs, don’t run.
11) FF before you get to the mob whenever you can.
12) Talk to your arms warriors. Make sure they’re putting up bleeds. If they, or a bear are you don’t mangle. Use a debuff tracker that doesn't suck. Rend is bread and butter, so unless the warrior is terrible Blood Frenzy will be up. Even if they're terrible, Deep Wounds should maintain the debuff.
13) If in doubt, shred, don’t rip, don’t rake. Clipping dots, sucks. Unless you'll be clipping to get a new buffed bleed up (buffed from pot, or trinket use) or the bleed will shortly fall off.
14) Don’t clip rip, or rake unless its only going to cost you a tick, and your energy bar is going to be capped. The refresh window for Rip vs a single target is always 1 tick. Rake depends heavily on TF. Energy capping does not enter into this, since you clip when it's appropriate and dump energy with Shred otherwise.
15) Position yourself so you can shred. Remind your raid leader about your position requirements. Sometimes they forget.
16) If you’re going to be off the boss… (aly before he flies up) watch your Rip. Make sure you refresh it if you can.
17) Agility only, unless it’s a 20+ agility socket bonus.
18) Even on adds/mobs that die quickly, It takes 2 ticks for Rip to pull ahead of Shred in terms of energy efficiency, additionally unless there's a massive amount of downtime after the add is dead, maintaining SR is a good thing. Using Bite is also an ok idea, but unless you will waste the bulk of it, SR or Rip will give you more damage.
19) After a mob dies, before you deselect it hit your SR. It will consume your combo points and give you the buff for your next add/boss even though the add is dead. Unlike S&D, it's entirely possible to clip a longer SR with a shorter SR. There's no point in wasting energy if this is the case.
20) You’ll never maximize your dps with low frame-rates. If you’re serious, fix it. Same with world latency.
21) Don’t jump out of fire. Run out of it. Your game position status doesn’t update until you land.
22) Understand game mechanics. For example, PVE detail updates first. Meaning fire, boss mechanics, adds, etc. Other players, and their positioning updates last. So don’t watch other people, and don’t wait for them to do something. (Spreading on Majordomo) Often, you’ll be the one lagging behind.
23) Even in AOE, stay out of bear. Period.
24) Make sure you know when bloodlust is going to happen. Ask your raid leader. You’ll likely want to use your Berserk at this time.
25) Always pop Berserk + all your CDs at the start. This will ensure you’ll get another berserk in, and a few more CDs on trinkets, etc. If you pull agro, blame your tank. Don’t let them blame you. (within reason)
26) Don’t forget to use your in combat pot at some point. (not to be confused with prepot) Combine with TF+Trinket+Berserk+Bloodlust for best results. (see 21)
27) Ferocious Bite is overrated. Especially T12+ Keep your rip up, don’t be afraid to shred instead of FB so you can get your rip back up faster. (Unless you’re in a Berserk scenario) Learning when it's safe to use bite (the guard conditionals are extremely straight forward) is better. Erring on the conservative side is reasonable but this will be mostly irrelevant once T13 starts to enter the picture.
28) Don’t sweat on the reforging. Focus on implementing the items above. Doing so will likely provide better results.
29) Relax. If Rip is up, and SR is up... relax even more. That's about 40% of your dps right there.
30) If you're Swipeing, make sure your auto attack is on.
31) KEYBINDS! Use them! Mangle, rake, rip, shred, macros, SR, TF. The more abilities you can have on keybinds the better player you'll likely become. You can smack a key faster than clicking, with less chance of error. I personally keybind my 1-9 keys, R, F, and C. (My vent keybind is caps lock, for quick callouts if necessary)
32) Movement!! Move with your WASD keys so your keybinds are close. You shouldn't be using the Arrow keys. Turn with your Mouse. Strafe with mouse & keyboard.
Last edited by Druidohorde on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Honored

Re: The Not So Fine Details of Raiding as a Kitty - TIPS!!

Postby Yawning » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 am

Druidohorde wrote:3) Watch your Global Cooldowns (GCDs), and make sure when you click FF, SI, Trinkets, or anything on its own GCD you’re not wasting a dps GCD ( like shred). For example, always hit TF+Berserk, and or trinket while you’re clicking shred or similar. Feral FF is on the GCD. I think you mean TF there. Irrelevant since there's no compelling reason not to macro TF and Berserk together.
12) Talk to your arms warriors. Make sure they’re putting up bleeds. If they, or a bear are you don’t mangle. This could be better written as "Use a debuff tracker that doesn't suck.". Rend is bread and butter, so unless the warrior is terrible Blood Frenzy will be up. Even if they're terrible, Deep Wounds should maintain the debuff.
13) If in doubt, shred, don’t rip, don’t rake. Clipping dots, sucks. Err. Clipping Rake intentionally is a rather large DPS gain if done correctly (Hint, it has to do with the TF timer).
14) Don’t clip rip, or rake unless its only going to cost you a tick or two, and your energy bar is going to be capped. The refresh window for Rip vs a single target is always 1 tick. Rake depends heavily on TF. Energy capping does not enter into this, since you clip when it's appropriate and dump energy with Shred otherwise.
18) On adds/mobs, unless the mob is going to be alive for the majority of the duration of RIP, don’t bother putting it up. Just mangle, rake, shred, shred, shred. No point dotting something that’s going to die shortly. Same goes with savage Roar, no point using SR when the mob is going to be dead. What? It takes 2 ticks for Rip to pull ahead of Shred in terms of energy efficiency, additionally unless there's a massive amount of downtime after the add is dead, maintaining SR is a good thing. Using Bite is also an ok idea, but unless you will waste the bulk of it, SR or Rip will give you more damage.
19) After a mob dies, before you deselect it hit your SR. It will consume your combo points and give you the buff for your next add/boss even though the add is dead. Unlike S&D, it's entirely possible to clip a longer SR with a shorter SR. There's no point in wasting energy if this is the case.
27) Ferocious Bite is overrated. Especially T12+ Keep your rip up, don’t be afraid to shred instead of FB so you can get your rip back up faster. (Unless you’re in a Berserk scenario) Learning when it's safe to use bite (the guard conditionals are extremely straight forward) is better. Erring on the conservative side is reasonable but this will be mostly irrelevant once T13 starts to enter the picture.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."

Mew: http://code.google.com/p/mew-wow-druid-model/

Postby Druidohorde » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Updated!! Cus Yawning is more pro than I am. :D

- Removed term "clicking", added tip on keybinds & moving. Thanks Dysheki
Last edited by Druidohorde on Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:46 pm

The best tip you can give to any feral is just keep everything rolling. For just straight single target dps all the little things are minute details that increase dps minimally. If you try to do too much you might end up confusing yourself. Just learn the simple things and you'll do decent dps. Work on the main focus of feral dps: Keep rake, rip, mangle, FFF, and SR up at all times. The possibility of much higher dps doing little things isn't there like it used to be as the room for error is much greater than it used to be.

Edit: also, I see 'click' and I cringe. Hopefully you mean 'click your keyboard for keybinds' and not your mouse. That is probably the biggest tip for any WoW player that isn't an arcane mage: keybind your abilities.
Twitch - Now with dachshund cam!

Postby Andolie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:29 pm

I thought I'd throw my two cents in here too since I was one of those people who struggled trying to keep everything in mind. Get your basic rotation down, rake, rip, FFF, and SR (more if you are comfortable or more experienced). I know this sounds so simplistic, but for any kitteh starting out this may be enough to drive you crazy for awhile. Once you have that down, add in one thing at a time. For me, it was started with lining up TF and Zerk. If you try to add too much at once your basics will suffer, and as stated above, that's the bread and butter for your dps. For me, it's prolly the best way to make sure I maintain what I already have while throwing one more ball in the mix. Hope this helps some.

Postby Devils » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:02 pm

+1) track all possible melee raid buffs and debuffs grouped by type. (for example i use PowerAuras to track the buffs/debuffs, and if one fall down more the a few sec (slacking DK's Horn of Winter FTW etc).

In order of importance:

The DeBuffs:
a.) 30% Bleeding Damage increase - increase bleed damage, as well Shred/Mangle. The possible bleed damage modifiers: Mangle/Trauma/Hemorrhage/Blood Frenzy/Gore/Tendon Rip/Stampede . The effects of these talents do not stack.
b.) Bleeds - if the target is not bleeding, Shred, and Maul is USELESS. The possible bleeds are: Pounce/Rake/Rend/Rip/Piercing shots/Trash/Lacerate/Garrote/Rupture/Hemorrhage/Deep wounds. If the target is not bleeding with Damage increase debuffs, Shred, and Maul is USELESS.
c.) 12% Armor Debuff - Reduces the target's armor therefore increases the physical DIRECT damages. The possible debuffs: Sunder armor/Expose Armor/Faerie Fire/Feral Faerie Fire/Tear Armor/Corrosive Spit/
d.) 4% Physical Vulnerability - Savage Combat/Blood Frenzy/Brittle Bones/Ravage/Acid Spit/. Increases the physical direct and the bleed damages.

The Buffs
e.) 10% Attack Power - Trueshot Aura/Abomination's Might/Unleashed Rage/Trueshot Aura/Blessing of Might. Increases the physical direct and the bleed damages
f.) +Agility and +Strength -Horn of Winter/Strength of Earth/Battle Shout/Roar of Courage/. Increases the physical direct and the bleed damages
g.) 10% Physical Haste - Windfury Totem/Improved Icy Talons/Hunting Party. More white damage, more Fury Swipes, Omen of Clarity, faster procs etc.
h.) 5% Critical - obviously always on, because LotP :). The buffs are: Leader of the Pack/Terrifying Roar/Furious Howl/Honor Among Thieves/Elemental Oath/Rampage
i.) 5% Increased stats - Mark of the Wild/Embrace of the Shale Spider/Blessing of Kings

+2.) Track helpful temporary buffs/debuffs as well. (trinkets procs, abilities, fight mechanics): Especially Tricks of the trade (+10-15% to all damage) , Unholy Frenzy (+20% melee haste ) etc.
+3.) if BL and Berserk is up, ask warrior(s) to use Shattering Throw, then zerg with Shred, and FB. Use potions/trinket/Synapse too.

Return to Kitty DPS