Register

Thrash clipping vs Swipe

Face-rippin fun.

Thrash clipping vs Swipe

Postby óak » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:34 am

I come to you today with yet another question

Thrash clipping on AoE, is it worth it?

Heres the situation

Occasionally I've found myself in the situation where I've needed to AoE, for example bats on heroic Thok, I've used Thrash and then had a trinket Proc, so I use Thrash again so the bleed is buffed by my trinket proc, but then, before the end of the the trinket proc, tiger's fury has come off cooldown and usually I use TF and use Thrash again so now my thrash bleed on the targets is buffed by trinket and TF.

That's what I've done in the past, however is it worth doing that over using Thrash once without trinket/TF and then swipe the rest of the time?

I'd always assumed I was doing the right thing, trying to get as high powered Thrash bleed on as many targets as possible rather than Swiping, but maybe not. For the sake of this argument lets say that the targets of my thrash will be alive long enough for the thrash bleed to actually run off, or at least they'll be alive for 10+ seconds.

TLDR: Is using thrash multiple times to make sure you get a buffed thrash bleed better or worse AoE damage in comparison to one thrash then swipe spam?

Cheers guys
-Óak

Honored

Re: Thrash clipping vs Swipe

Postby Helistar » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 am

All this stuff tends to be very situational, especially when the lifetime of the adds is short. The best is to do the calculation yourself using Catus and the "Computable Statistics" tab, which gives you the damage inflicted by the various abilities.
The more reliable results can be obtained by "simulating" manually the short time interval you're interested in. Alternatively, compute the DPR of all the attacks and choose the ones which provide the best value.

Exalted

Re: Thrash clipping vs Swipe

Postby raffy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:08 am

Helistar wrote:All this stuff tends to be very situational, especially when the lifetime of the adds is short. The best is to do the calculation yourself using Catus and the "Computable Statistics" tab, which gives you the damage inflicted by the various abilities.

I agree -- being able to ballpark your damage output quickly upon encountering different scenarios is the key to taking Feral to the next level. Statically maximizing you damage is one thing, but figuring out where and when your damage is most effective (all of the little decisions) is surprisingly a big part of Feral.

It's important to realize that you can have two identical encounters: exact same gear, procs, randomness -- even identical ability use, and then just vary the ability timing slightly and you can get very different results.

Our spec is unique in that our initially-"frustrating" idle time ends up being a great dimension for theorycraft optimization and player development.

Return to Kitty DPS