Register

Drood Focus Alternatives

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Drood Focus Alternatives

Postby Dargasky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi All,

This is my first time posting on the forums but I have been following this site for many years and it has been a fantastic help - thanks all!

I am a very average player and have used Drood Focus for all my needs. Sadly it looks like this addon's time is now up and I need to find an alternative.

I follow your discussions regarding Ovale but it all looks a little too complex for me... I get lost after the first post lol

Does anyone have any good ideas for an alternative? Although I am sure this topic has been covered in the past I expect there will be a few others thinking the same as I am.

Exalted

Re: Drood Focus Alternatives

Postby Konungr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:11 pm

I just started using Tell Me When for the icons and it seems to be doing well, the only thing I don't have is the number of stacks (Extends) on Rip from Shred and an icon change to tell when to use Ferocious Bite instead of Rip.

Postby Dargasky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:20 pm

Great, I will check that out! Its a bit of a pain that it wont show how many shred extends I have up, that was one of the great things with DroodFocus. I was reading the posts on Curse and the guy who did DroodFocus suggested he may be back for MoP. He has offered for others to take on the development but it looks like there were no takers which is sad.

I may end up trying Ovale, I guess now is as good a time as any to switch. Been testing it tonight but I'm having no luck at all. I can see though that there are lots of people here that will be willing to help me if I can't get to grips with it over the next few weeks.
:lol:

Honored

Postby adianar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:50 pm

Konungr,
I actually was noticing the same about Droodfocus and I happened across an addon pack you did for feral but I can't find it now. It's curse? I've been lots of places and recognized your name from here. I just can't seem to find it again. I'm assuming you'd confirm that your addon pack is a suitable replacement for similar if not more relevant info? Also, I'm assuming I can use ovale in your pack or something like it?

Thanks!

Adi

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:27 pm

The thing about the Rip extention count was that it was kind of a hack. I have spoken to other addon owners in the past and found that no add on can actually tell if Rip has been extended. What Droodfocus did was just count shreds after Rip and add a number stopping at 3. If you changed targets and came back the Rip Count was reset.

I spent a few hours and made a Raven timer bar that mimic'd the Droodfocus bars. I haven't gotten the Rip to swap to FB yet, but I think I still might be able to. If I get that working I will see if I can export the settings. Raven in general is really powerful, and I use it to track just about everything I have with a timer.

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Keep in mind that anything that tracks how long the Rip debuff has remaining should be getting the information via the WoW api. The value returned for how long Rip has left does include any Shred/Mangle/Ravage extensions. Although you can get to 5 combo points now without hitting one of those abilities (cat swipe for example) I doubt missing an extension is going to make that much difference to your dps.

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 pm

adianar wrote:Konungr,
I actually was noticing the same about Droodfocus and I happened across an addon pack you did for feral but I can't find it now. It's curse? I've been lots of places and recognized your name from here. I just can't seem to find it again. I'm assuming you'd confirm that your addon pack is a suitable replacement for similar if not more relevant info? Also, I'm assuming I can use ovale in your pack or something like it?

Thanks!

Adi

It was something I tried a long time ago, didn't work the way I wanted. My UI thread information is over on TukUI forums, as soon as I update it this weekend, I will post a new link here.

Postby Dargasky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Thats interesting, I had noticed sometime there was a glitch in its tracking of shred extends but never really worked out what was causing it.

What ever I end up using it looks like I am going to have to bite the bullet and spend time tweaking things. The problem I have is with time and patience (I have none).
Perhaps I am looking at this wrong. DroodFocus was a great "one stop shop" for all my needs. Perhaps now I am going to need a combination of add on's to keep track of everything I need to know.

If you have the time...
What do you guys use to track energy and combo points?
Do you use Oval in conjunction with other add on's to keep track of timers then?

Maybe once I get to grips with Ovale I will get a better idea of what I will need, but right now I am getting that Faerie Fire problem that others are reporting so have been unable to really test it properly (I will keep my eye on the other thread for help with understanding that).

Lots to look into tomorrow night.

I really appreciate the input. I am so dependant on Drood Focus that I feel completely crippled now :(

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 pm

Personally, I use Raven for timers and SuF/HearKitty for combopoints. I'd like to do more in terms of audio notifications; I might try the WeakAuras recommendation.

If you're looking for an all-in-one addon, I believe the BadKitty dev is updating for MoP.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:50 am

I play several alts as well as my kitty, so I mostly use non-class-specific addons. For my kitty, that's:

- Class timer for bleeds and debuffs/buffs
- ComboPointsRedux for, you guessed it, combo points
- PowerAuras for specifics (one to show me when there's less than 10 seconds left on Savage Roar, and one each to show when Tiger's Fury and Berserk are available)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Honored

Postby Mihir » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:56 am

Tinderhoof wrote:The thing about the Rip extention count was that it was kind of a hack. I have spoken to other addon owners in the past and found that no add on can actually tell if Rip has been extended. What Droodfocus did was just count shreds after Rip and add a number stopping at 3. If you changed targets and came back the Rip Count was reset.

I spent a few hours and made a Raven timer bar that mimic'd the Droodfocus bars. I haven't gotten the Rip to swap to FB yet, but I think I still might be able to. If I get that working I will see if I can export the settings. Raven in general is really powerful, and I use it to track just about everything I have with a timer.

I managed to get an accurate way of keeping track of rip extensions in another addon by doing the following:

- record the expiration time of the current rip
- whenever the expiration time of the rip changes, I check the amount of active combopoints
- if there's no combopoints, rip got refreshed by rip or FB and the glyph of shred counter gets reset
- if there's 1 or more combopoints, rip just got extended by glyph of shred.

Honored

Postby adianar » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Thanks Konungr!

Adi

Postby Wintermist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:36 pm

I've been using Weakauras as my replacement. When I heard that Droodfocus might not be updated, I looked for something similar, and couldn't come across anything directly like it. However, Weakauras is configurable enough I was able to pretty much duplicate most of the function of the addon, though with a lot more hands-on work.

http://i48.tinypic.com/i1cj1x.jpg

I've also got icons for Faerie Fire, and Thrash that aren't shown, mostly because I didn't want to spend the time to make the icons in washed-out versions for when they're not up. There's also an aggro bar off to the side that I've got mostly working, but it doesn't work on dummies. it also doesn't have a rip extension counter, though something like that could be put together easily enough

I attached my Weakauras Saved Variables lua in it's current state, which also has my Shadowpriest setup and a hunter setup using the same UI design style, if anyone's interested. Just drop it in your accounts' Saved Variables folder and have at.
Attachments
WeakAuras.lua.zip
Droodfocus Weakauras
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

Postby NapalmDawn » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:07 pm

I used to use http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... .html#info
for both my bear and kitty. Give it a try. The author also makes Zombie for DKs. He seems to be pretty responsive and got around to answering me quick when I first started using it.

Postby Zoid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:40 pm

was updated 10 hours ago

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/droodfocus/623423

working ok, there the mangle legacy issue i guess?

Postby Dargasky » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Yep im so glad he is back, I hope he comes and joins us!

Return to Kitty DPS