Register

Al'kir tanking

Observe my Growling Bear style. I block blows...with my FACE.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Al'kir tanking

Postby Ceithern » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm usually dps for raids but also fill in for tanks when they aren't on. Last night I was asked to MT for 25 man TotFW. My question is are we better suited for MT on al'kir or stormling tanking. I also had issues with the squal lines, mainly getting my bear into the opening just right. I was wondering if it was just lag on my part or is there something with the bear model as I found the only way was to turn sideways to make it thru them.

Revered

Re: Al'kir tanking

Postby Sylvaneart » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Main Tank Main Tank Main Tank LOL. We have bad AoE threat and bad AoE survivability. Get on Al and stay there. Your Squall problem sounds like lag becouse i make it fine. I also put my camera directly overhead and go through them head first not just backing up and letting them go by.

BTW i see this is your 1st post so WELCOME!
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Postby Ceithern » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will try the camera thing and see if that helps me if I am asked to tank him again. We had a dk as OT at first then we switched for the last part to see how the difference was. I understand we have bad AE threat and mit. Was just curious as could dps thru phase 1 to get to phase 2 faster (had lots of rng deaths in ph 1), that was why I asked MT or OT better.

Honored

Postby felhoof » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:42 pm

There's nothing innately special about tanking Al-akir or the stormlings that would favor a bear. Both do mostly nature damage (so shields don't help), both don't hit very hard. Keeping threat on the stormlings is pretty simple too, especially since you usually have a big lead before DPS goes to town on them. The nice thing about bears is the shorter cooldown of barkskin relative to something like shield block, but that's really not that special one way or another.

Ultimately unless you have something like a DK tank do whichever you feel comfortable with. Bears do get a small amount more magical mitigation than other tanks but it's not worth optimizing on. Really, the fight will be won and lost by your healers and DPS; it's not a tank fight.

And the squall - you do have to be tricky with the bear model and lag. The 'butt' fo the bear is the main hitbox, not the front.

Return to Bear Tanking