Register

W, S, D, A crits BigTwoHorns (Overkill)

All the non-WOW stuff goes here.
Honored

W, S, D, A crits BigTwoHorns (Overkill)

Postby BigTwoHorns » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:29 pm

So my brother in law says "Dude, stop using the mouse to move so much, use the keyboard too". Easier said than done when you go from playing Oblivion to WoW, play for a year using the mouse and learn that you have been doing it wrong all along. Is there anyone else out there that uses thier keybinds and mouse buttons instead of hovering over the spells soley? Being a drummer I consider myself to be ambidextrous to a degree but I just can't stop using my mouse, believe me I'm trying!! My 1-9 keys are my attacks, my F1-F4 keys are my FM's and so on, I jsut can't for the life of me use the dang W, S, D, A keys!! What are your thoughts?
A GOOD PLAN VIOLENTLY EXECUTED NOW IS BETTER THAN A PERFECT PLAN EXECUTED NEXT WEEK.
GEORGE S. PATTON

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/akama/bigtwohorns/simple

Honored

Re: W, S, D, A crits BigTwoHorns (Overkill)

Postby felhoof » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:01 pm

There are probably a billion ways to go about doing things the 'right way', but in general:

-set your movement keys to either WASD or EDSF. EDSF is probably better overall but a lot of people are used to WASD from other games.
-set your ability buttons to 1-5 (or 6 if you have big hands), QWERTY (save the forward key), ASDFGH (save the left/right strafe key), ZXCVB. This means that you don't have to move far to do any of your abilities, and most importantly you can do so without taking your hands off the mouse.
-if you have more abilities than that, bind them to modifiers like ctrl, shift and alt + key. Shift-1 through 5 and ctril 1-5 are good.

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 pm

One thing that I failed to mention is that my brother in law also has a gaming keyboard with more buttons than a button factory as I unfortunately do not. :( I will give the keybinds a go as well, maybe on another toon to get the feel before setting it to my druid.
This also makes me ask another question, what actions are set to your mouse buttons? I myself have my auto-run and prowl set and a couple others I can't remember ATM.
A GOOD PLAN VIOLENTLY EXECUTED NOW IS BETTER THAN A PERFECT PLAN EXECUTED NEXT WEEK.
GEORGE S. PATTON

Honored

Postby felhoof » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm not the best person to ask as I switch computers a lot - so I don't have much on a mouse, since it has to be a 'normal' one. I usually have move forward to button4 and moveback to button 5, just in case. Otherwise it's pretty simple stuff, with occasionally putting osmething i want to spam on the mousewheel.

Postby Grimmclaw » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:02 am

The best thing I ever did to my control scheme was to bind my strafe buttons to A and D and take the turn keys completely off. It frees up the Q and E buttons for other things and keeps you from ever keyboard turning. I also make heavy use of the shift and control modifiers so I don't have to spread my keybinds too far. When I made the decision to teach myself to use the mouse and keybinds, I found the quickest way to learn it was to throw myself into bg's for a couple of nights. You'll play terrible, but it will force you to learn quickly.

As for my current set up, I have a Razer Lachesis, so I have 2 extra buttons by my thumb and 2 extra below my mouse wheel. I have all of my form shifts bound to my mouse wheel for quick shifting, and with key modifiers (shift, ctrl, alt) I have the bulk of my main rotation attacks bound to those 4 extra mouse buttons.
Last edited by Grimmclaw on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:35 am

Wow, that's a lot poundage on the mouse. Poor Guy. :) I like the idea of just pugging for a bit to get the hang of it. My biggest problem though is that I revert back to the mouse without thinking about it. Maybe I will have to take a day and reconfigure all of my keybinds so that I couldn't revert back to using the mouse. Make sense? Eh, good advice though guys, thanks!
GEORGE S. PATTON

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:41 pm

@Big2 The main things about keybinding is muscle memory. LOTS of time on dummies commiting everything to memory. Making it second nature if you will. Also here is a topic we discussed - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=219 good info in there.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:00 pm

He's been at the training dummy since I posted my frist thread the other day. Got Ovale but haven't put Leafs code in yet (my son has been sick). My keybindings are a mess ATM actually and my first order of business is to get them cleaned up and get to 85. Now that I have a better understanding of what to do ability wise instead of just hitting whatever wasn't on CD I think that I will be able to get my key strokes down and memorize them. Eventually I want to be at the point where I can hide my bars (using Bartender as well) and not have to see the buttons to know what to hit. I am sure Ovale will help me with getting my binds down and not have them scattered across the whole top of the keyboard.
GEORGE S. PATTON

Postby cynrh » Mon May 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Try this: force yourself to run circles around the training dummy, while trying to maintain your DPS cycle. Since you need to constantly mouselook to turn properly, it will force you to use the keybinds instead of clicking.

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 am

I have found a happy medium. I have my rotation keybound and any extra abilities barred to the right of the screen for mouse clicks. Once I get behind the target I stay there until I need to move and that frees up my mouse to click my buffs and de-buffs. Still needs some tweaking but I think I am getting it down. W and S are my new friends. :)
GEORGE S. PATTON

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Tue May 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Once you get all that we can start adding in macros :) All ferals should have a focus macro to interupt. IMO
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Tue May 03, 2011 1:24 pm

I have played with macros. The best I have done is set a macro for MotW with a /say letting party members know I need caster gear for off-spec. (Moonkin) Haven't been able to do much more than that. :( I used one for FC - Ravage but removed it.
GEORGE S. PATTON

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Tue May 03, 2011 2:34 pm

With my guild makeup I always had to interupt on Neferian. So I made a macro to announce my Skull bash to the other interupter so he wouldn't get confused on whos turn it was.

Honored

Postby BigTwoHorns » Thu May 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Fiddled with the macros again, made a goofy one for my Argent Gruntling.

/yell Boy? Boy?! Where is that kid?!
/cast Argent Gruntling

Lols abound.
GEORGE S. PATTON

Honored

Postby Grenache » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 am

Reviving this thread a little to see if there are any other ferals out there who use a Logitech G13 for their play. The layout is 7 keys, 7 keys, 5 keys and 3 keys (these last 3 are very awkward to get to), with a small joystick and 2 keys beside it. The joystick is amazingly good for people like myself who find strafing hard to do. I had a terrible time strafing on Atramedes last week, and this has forced me to think about trying something new.

My problem has been that I feel I'm just a few keys short of everything I need:

ESC---BREZ--BERSERK----SKULLBASH---TRINKET/POT---GMOUNT---FMOUNT
DASH----VENT----RAKE-----MANGLE-----SHRED------TIGERFURY------FFF
---- RIP----SWIPE--------FEROCIOUSBITE-----FCHARGE-----RAVAGE
-----------STAMPROAR-------UNUSED--------------JUMP
SAVAGEROAR------JOYSTICK------TRANQUILITY

I'm missing spots for TAB, Barkskin and Survival Instincts so far. I thought about buying a 5 or 7 button mouse, but am unsure how many of those will be useable. Thinking perhaps to put the Skull Bash on the mouse for the surety / simplicity. I use middle mouse for shift to Cat Form and back.

Any suggestions? I don't want to move the mounts off the G13 as it's a pain to have to lift your hands off it each time to get places.

Postby Antioch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:09 am

Only help i can offer is either start using some sort of modifier key to make the same buttons cast differeent abilities depending on the modifier thats pressed.
I have a razer lachesis mouse and the logitech g-15 ( so only 6 extra buttons with 3 different channels making it 18....barely use em tho) but i use the 6 buttons on my mouse for most of my main abilities. If you don't have a fancy mouse then you can simply use the mouse as your modifier, so maybe have G1 (Logitech key) is for tigers fury and middle mouse + G1 is berserk for example.
-EDIT- just to say that ultimately i would reccommend ditching the logitech keys almost alltogether in favour of the more standard WASD config and keybinding around those, imo the logitech buttons are designed more for games where moving isnt a factor such as Starcraft.
Check out This Guide

Honored

Postby Laurind » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:57 am

oh! great, I found someone with the Lachessis.

Let's see if you can help me... do you use the 2 buttons on the right side of the mouse? I can't seem to make them work (using binpad to bind stuff). The top ones (the ones that increase/decrease I think Sensitivity ones) are usable?
And finally, when using the left-sided buttons, sometimes they make "click" asi if they were normal clicks, selecting/attacking stuff.

any help would be great

Postby Antioch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Tbh i hate my lachesis :( i need to clean it everyday for it to work properly and even then it occassionally decides to go where it likes.
As for the 2 buttons on the right, nope ive had no luck there. Bound them to 1 and 2 and they do work but when i press them they just go into repeat mode as if i am holding them in (you might not have the same issue) i do however have the 2 top ones working(ones for dpi) i have them bound to page up and page down. To bind your mouse keys to something on your mouse open the lachesis options (should be in your taskbar) and then click on the button you want to change. A drop down menu appears, then click on "advance functions". A new window appears, make sure "single key" is selected and then just press the key that you want to bind the mouse button to.
I also use bindpad and this works fine with it.

Postby Annunaki » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:26 pm

When I played FPS's I would not use WASD, but instead ESDF. This gave me substantially more keys, on both sides of my movement keys, available for other actions. I haven't done this for WoW but I am quite certain it would work well if that's what you are looking for.

For WoW I have a pretty simple set-up. I use WASD for movement. I use a single side-button on my Razer Diamondback (yes it's old, BFD) mouse which, on all characters, is my "movement button"; click = kitty, alt+click = travel/water, ctrl + click = bear (on shaman it's ghost wolf). I use 1-0 keys as main abilities, and then numpad as abilities that I don't use often but want instant access to. The 1-0 keys almost always have alt+# actions. I use alt instead of shift/ctrl, because alt only requires me to move my thumb, and my hand can stay what it is doing, whereas ctrl/shift are all pinky-finger, and make me stretch/move my hand.

Postby Antioch » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 pm

While i think pointing out a general idea of how someone does their keybindings is of course very helpful, i would also suggest that at the end of the day you do what feels right. I remember i bound dash to one key and stampeding roar to another one, played with it and after a little while realised it just didnt feel right. My brain was for some unkown reason sending me to the dash button when i wanted to roar and visa-versa, so i eventually swapped them and BANG it was perfect!
You will get a feel for bindings after a while and generally what works for one person will not work for you.
Like Annunaki pointed out using ESDF for movement keys is probably the ideal setup, it does indeed free up far more space but it also requires completely reworking your brain from everything you know to be the norm (WASD as momement). If you can manage this then kudos to you but i would suggest that it may be too big a step especially for someone who is new to bindings.
At the end of the day go with whatever you feel is right :)

Return to Off-Topic Discussion