Register

Blade Lord Ta'Yak

Exalted

Blade Lord Ta'Yak

Postby Tinderhoof » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:07 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Blade Lord Ta'Yak encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Exalted

Re: Blade Lord Ta'Yak

Postby aggixx » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:53 pm

Wild Charge seems like to obvious choice for this fight. Feline Swiftness doesn't do much considering you already run faster than everybody else in the raid, so if you can't make it to the Unseen Strike in time then having FS would probably just have killed you. With Wild Charge you can Feral Charge at the boss immediately following the Unseen Strike and pretty much never have to worry about getting gibbed by a tornado.

Postby Bethany » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 pm

aggixx wrote:Wild Charge seems like to obvious choice for this fight. Feline Swiftness doesn't do much considering you already run faster than everybody else in the raid, so if you can't make it to the Unseen Strike in time then having FS would probably just have killed you. With Wild Charge you can Feral Charge at the boss immediately following the Unseen Strike and pretty much never have to worry about getting gibbed by a tornado.

FS is more useful in Phase 2 however, getting to the boss end of the gauntlet. Especially if you're utilizing HotW to help pop a timely tranq to assist your healers while they're still running up. Both definitely have their merits in this encounter.

Honored

Postby Dabeasty » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 am

Can you FC the boss when you get close enough in P2?

Postby Ampzilla » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Dabeasty wrote:Can you FC the boss when you get close enough in P2?

Yup!

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Yeah, and that's exactly why I recommended Wild Charge. Being able to Wild Charge the boss in P2 once you get in range has got to be at least comparable if not superior to Feline Swiftness at getting you to the boss as fast as possible.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:25 am

aggixx wrote:Yeah, and that's exactly why I recommended Wild Charge. Being able to Wild Charge the boss in P2 once you get in range has got to be at least comparable if not superior to Feline Swiftness at getting you to the boss as fast as possible.

Ooooh, I didn't know that. I find the last bit of the "tornado path" the most annoying because you have to sort of remember their spawn pattern, otherwise there's only a thin red circle on the floor and if you're not very quick, a tornado might spawn right on top of you... Being able to charge right across that stretch will make me a very happy kitty indeed!
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:21 am

Side note: I don't know how this is still in the game but . . . if you get the boss to 11% . . . just head into the slipstream on the side and dots will push him to 10% and he will come to the side you're now on.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:46 pm

I tried the Wild Charge this week on the kill. Sadly if your charge takes you though a tornado (like the on that just spawned) you will get sucked up in it even though you reached the boss.

Honored

Postby Viray » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 pm

I too recommend Feral Charge for this fight, especially for the second phase. Just for fun I've decided to try this encounter as a Boomkin in LFR. 'Fun', wasn't what I've stumbled upon once P2 started... :)
Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today - and it won't be you.

Revered

Postby Sibylle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Tinderhoof wrote:I tried the Wild Charge this week on the kill. Sadly if your charge takes you though a tornado (like the on that just spawned) you will get sucked up in it even though you reached the boss.

Dang, there goes that hope! Well, at least the charge will take me through that wobbly bit at the end quickly, if nothing else :)
-Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious." (Brendan Gill)

Postby Kittipaws » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:22 pm

So like..i hate this fight. Am i the only one who gets knocked into caster form on the tornadoes and then dies? i nearly threw my moue into my monitor last night and scared the hell out of my husband when i had my ..well...first nerd rage..lol.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:53 pm

Getting hit by the tornados will always put you in caster form. It's really annoying to be sure. The biggest issue for us there is we are losing our 20% heal buff from our Catform Glyph. To help avoid tornados you can step to the side into the rushing wind on either side. You won't take any damage from doing so and as long as you are still running forward you won't go backward, you just stop.

Postby Tair » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:55 am

One usefull tip to gain dps specially in HC mode is use the sprint provide by the wind in both sides of the room in Phase 2.

When the boss is near to 10%, just use this winds (or whatever his name is) to go fast to the other side before the tornados change their direction. The boss reaches 10% with dots. In this way, when the boss goes to the other side of the room all the raid is there and you're healers won't go crazy with de damage in this phase :P

Honored

Postby Viray » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:53 pm

@Tair: I've wanted to try that yesterday, but our best try was 23%, he's going down in this reset :) I've got one question to you - do you take any damage when you're inside that wind-wall thingie?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:01 pm

The whole raid is taking massive damage in general, but the wind wall only stops forward progress. You take no extra damage from stepping into it.

Postby Tair » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:38 am

As Tinderhoof says, you don't take extra damage while you are in the wind wall, the only damage u take is from phase 2 itself.

Honored

Postby Viray » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 am

Thanks guys, we've managed to down him on hc :) I'm ashamed to say I failed the transition and got killed in the tornado, but the rest of my group has been focused a bit moar than me, yay :3

Tip: HotW + Tranq is AMAZING when you reach the boss with feral charge. Gives your healers breathing room while they're still dodging tornados. I've got over 2,1mln healing done with one Tranquility (with weapon swap).

Honored

Postby adianar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Tinder,
Oddly enough, I had the same experience with a WC through a spawning tornado and I got through unscaythed. Im not sure if I just beat the tornado from forming fully or what, but I clearly went right through it.

FYI.

Adi

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:07 pm

I blame server to client communication speed. This week I didn't go with FC but with Feline Swiftness because we had 2 Warlock Gateways half way down the room. Worked like a champ for the first transition.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

A HotW Tranq was awesome for our first kill. The second kill it wasn't even off cooldown (we got a lot faster) so we had to make due with out. 3rd kill last night we didn't even miss it. Life saving for progression, but lose so much damage. Jumped to 47th when I was allowed to use DoC again.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:16 pm

I'd like to get some advice for this...we're just in normal mode. We've rebuilt half our guild since the x-pac, and we're finally in HoF >.<

We got blade lord down last night, but only with the shadow priest still alive at the very end. We are 2 healing it, and both healers seem to die during part 2. The strategy our group used was for everyone to get topped off before running thru tornadoes (shaman & monk healer), meanwhile I NS/HT myself, then used SI/Barkskin and immediately dashed through the wind tunnel. I charged the boss w/ HotW active, and used tranq asap. Most of our health bars were 1 tick from dieing, so half the group died. By the time we got to 10%, me and a tank rode the stream down but we died cause the 1 healer didn't ride it, and they finished it w/ a s.priest, the monk made it back, and a warr tank.

How do you guys get through the wind tunnel as a group without anyone dieing?

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

The way we do it on heroic is to heal everyone up at the start (that is when I use my non-HotW tranq) and then I use Stampeding Roar as we start our way down. Anyone that can should use personal cooldowns/lock stones if they can on the way over. Also, if you have other druids they should use their Roar as soon as yours falls off (you'll likely be ahead of most of them anyway at this point). If you have a DPS warrior you can give them Stampeding Roar with Symbiosis. Everyone should also probably have some kind of run speed enchant on their boots (for most dps classes it's more dps to get to places faster than the tiny stats you gain).

You should be able to make it through fine assuming no one is getting hit by tornadoes and getting knocked back. As a side note for DPS, make sure you use your pot right when you get to the boss and get a BIG rip up. Always make sure you FB right before you swap sides so that rip never falls off. It's a huge boost.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Like I had mentioned in the above post if you have a warlock in the raid you can setup their gateway about half way down for the first wind tunnel. This helps a bunch.

If you have a Disc priest healer, have them start putting Spirit Shell on everyone at about 23%. This will cut down on the damage you take when first being transitioned to the end of the hall. Less life lost lets you leave earlier.

Tell everyone to use Personal cooldowns just before getting picked up. You have Barkskin and SI. You could also get Dispersion from your priest, or Divine Shield from your pali through symbiosis.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:45 pm

Well, we're a 10m, so my options are very limited :) No lock, no dps warrior, no disc. priest :( I could use dispersion though, I've been using the prot warrior's 20% armor debuff, but that might not be an issue now that we've seen we have plenty of time to kill it.

I looked at the logs and I think we can try to time the monk's revival during the gauntlet, which should keep us up long enough for me to get to the end and tranq. I'll also try the priest's symbiosis to save 6sec of damage.

Next

Return to Boss Archives