Register

Item upgrade tips

Face-rippin fun.

Item upgrade tips

Postby railyth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:42 am

Hey all i have the polarm from Vaults normal (Screaming tiger. Qiang's Unbreakable Polarm) and i have The LFR one from Terrace of Endless spring (Gao-Rei. staff of the legendary Protector) witchone shuld i upgrade of those 2? I guess the LFR one will be an upgrade when i get the socket in it. also it will be better then the normal one i have now if i upgrade it etc.

Any tips on what more i shuld upgrade im thinking of go for wepond then Darkmoon trinket and then my other trinket.

here is my armory link . http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-venture-co/Railyth/simple
thanks for help!

Exalted

Re: Item upgrade tips

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:06 am

Sounds good. I still have a crappy 476 weapon*, so I upgraded my Darkmoon trinket first.

* The game does not want me to have a weapon...none have ever dropped for me, even with coins every week...

Postby railyth » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 am

Thing is im wondering is it many more quest b4 i get the legendary gem ? i soon have 10 sigil of power and 10 sigil of wisdom. so If i can get the gem soon then i think it is good to upgrade spring (Gao-Rei. staff of the legendary Protector LFR one) Insted of (Screaming tiger. Qiang's Unbreakable Polarm Normal one). atm im realy unsure about with i shuld upgrade. would like if someone can help me to make a good choise:) thanks

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 am

railyth wrote:Thing is im wondering is it many more quest b4 i get the legendary gem ? i soon have 10 sigil of power and 10 sigil of wisdom. so If i can get the gem soon then i think it is good to upgrade spring (Gao-Rei. staff of the legendary Protector LFR one) Insted of (Screaming tiger. Qiang's Unbreakable Polarm Normal one). atm im realy unsure about with i shuld upgrade. would like if someone can help me to make a good choise:) thanks

My understanding is that you can finish the quest in LFR to get your gem. Others can confirm.

Postby Pheratia » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 am

that is indeed true.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:23 am

It depends. Is your raid anywhere near getting into normal Terrance? If so I would just wait and hope you can grab that. I have the heroic version of Qiang's weapon but I'm still using the normal version of Gao-Rei because it turns out to be slightly better (based on my current stat weights) because of the added agility from the legendary gem.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Has anyone figured out how the item upgrade stuff works?

I don't have WoW in front of me, so using the wowhead data (they seem to support the upgrade stuff already), I'm seeing the following for epic PvE items:

Primary and Secondary stats appear to scale linearly with +1 or +2 upgrades: somewhere around +3.8% and +7.73%
Sockets don't matter; socket bonus doesn't increase.
Armor gets 1/3 the scaling.

Those percents seem really ugly and I can't get all the rounding exact so probably, since the ilvl gain is so small (+4 and +8) it just appears linear to me (I was expecting some exponential action).

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm

The scaling appears to be exponential according to the well-known rule of 13% stat budget per 13 item levels. That is, all stats are scaled by roughly 1.13^(4/13) = 1.038 for 4 item levels or 1.13^(8/13) = 1.078 for 8 item levels. The scaling includes weapon damage and trinket proc/use effects, so generally the weapon is going to be the best slot to upgrade by far, with trinket a distant second. (My quick napkinmath suggests the weapon upgrade is about 4 times better than a trinket upgrade, which is in turn about 20% better than a high-budget armor slot.)

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:44 pm

It's also notable that PvP gear can be upgraded in parallel with PvE gear since it uses conquest points instead. Upon the release of 5.1, I switched back to my PvP 4-piece, now upgraded to level 491.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:27 am

Stenhaldi wrote:It's also notable that PvP gear can be upgraded in parallel with PvE gear since it uses conquest points instead. Upon the release of 5.1, I switched back to my PvP 4-piece, now upgraded to level 491.

Yeah, I saw some of your logs and I assumed you were doing the Displacer Beast trick to ravage, but I haven't really tried it out. That makes much more sense, rofl.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I added the upgrade gear feature to my simulator in about 60 seconds using the 13% in 13 equation, but then became really frustrated after encountering lots of off by 1 rounding errors. Eventually, I was encountering [-2, +2] errors.

After chatting with the guys on simc irc, I came to realize that the actual item level upgrade stuff was implemented by some complete idiot at Blizzard, where it requires all this extra shit to reconstruct the proper item level scaling.

First of all, the MoP equipment scaling is:
Code: Select all
    static final double MOD_NONE                                = Double.NaN;
    static final double MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND             = 1;     
    static final double MOD_SHOULDER_HANDS_WAIST_FEET_TRINKET   = 52/70D;
    static final double MOD_WRIST_NECK_BACK_FINGER_OFFHAND      = 39/70D;
    static final double MOD_ONE_HAND                            = 30/70D;

Using those modifiers, you can reconstruct an stat budget (or an item budget using mod = 1) with:
   static public int calcStatBudget(int itemLevel, double mod) {
        double a = 1.0066714749800698D;
        double b = 470.78486899738857D;
        double c = 1.401266276725328D;
        return (int)(0.5 + Math.pow(a, b + c * itemLevel) * mod);
    }

For armor scaling: Leather, Mail and Plate are just a multiple of Cloth:
        CLOTH   = new ArmorT(1, "Cloth",    1),
        LEATHER = new ArmorT(2, "Leather",  1.272808391525244D),
        MAIL    = new ArmorT(3, "Mail",     1.7709804881108826),
        PLATE   = new ArmorT(4, "Plate",    2.418603633516069D),

Each slot also has an armor modifier:
        NONE        = new EquipT(0, "None",             0,      MOD_NONE),
        HEAD        = new EquipT(1, "Head",             0.13,   MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND),
        NECK        = new EquipT(2, "Neck",             0,      MOD_WRIST_NECK_BACK_FINGER_OFFHAND),
        SHOULDER    = new EquipT(3, "Shoulder",         0.12,   MOD_SHOULDER_HANDS_WAIST_FEET_TRINKET),
        SHIRT       = new EquipT(4, "Shirt",            0,      MOD_NONE),
        CHEST       = new EquipT(5, "Chest",            0.16,   MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND),
        WAIST       = new EquipT(6, "Waist",            0.09,   MOD_SHOULDER_HANDS_WAIST_FEET_TRINKET),
        LEGS        = new EquipT(7, "Legs",             0.14,   MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND),
        FEET        = new EquipT(8, "Feet",             0.11,   MOD_SHOULDER_HANDS_WAIST_FEET_TRINKET),
        WRIST       = new EquipT(9,  "Wrist",           0.07,   MOD_WRIST_NECK_BACK_FINGER_OFFHAND),
        HANDS       = new EquipT(10, "Hands",           0.10,   MOD_SHOULDER_HANDS_WAIST_FEET_TRINKET),
        FINGER      = new EquipT(11, "Finger",          0,      MOD_WRIST_NECK_BACK_FINGER_OFFHAND),
        TRINKET     = new EquipT(12, "Trinket",         0,      MOD_SHOULDER_HANDS_WAIST_FEET_TRINKET),
        ONE_HAND    = new EquipT(13, "One-Hand",        0,      MOD_ONE_HAND),
        SHIELD      = new EquipT(14, "Shield",          0,      MOD_WRIST_NECK_BACK_FINGER_OFFHAND),
        RANGED      = new EquipT(15, "Ranged",          0,      MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND),
        CLOAK       = new EquipT(16, "Cloak",           0.08,   MOD_WRIST_NECK_BACK_FINGER_OFFHAND),
        TWO_HAND    = new EquipT(17, "Two-Hand",        0,      MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND),
        TABARD      = new EquipT(19, "Tabard",          0,      MOD_NONE),
        ROBE        = new EquipT(20, "Robe",            0.16,   MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND),
        MAIN_HAND   = new EquipT(21, "Main Hand",       0,      MOD_ONE_HAND),
        OFF_HAND    = new EquipT(22, "Off Hand",        0,      MOD_ONE_HAND),
        HELD_IN_OFF = new EquipT(23, "Held in Off-hand",0,      MOD_WRIST_NECK_BACK_FINGER_OFFHAND),
        WAND        = new EquipT(26, "Wand",            0,      MOD_HEAD_CHEST_LEGS_TWOHAND)       

This allows you to reconstruct armor based on item level:
    public int armor(int itemLevel, double slotMod) {
        double a = -8692.662063168213D;
        double b = 46.26700506191467D;       
        return (int)(0.5 + (a + itemLevel * b) * scale * slotMod);       
    }

I still need to figure out the gem/socket penalty and item stat distribution stuff, then I should be able to reconstruct them perfectly.

Return to Kitty DPS