Register

Threat Issues - Time Blizzard Give Us a Proper Threat Drop

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Threat Issues - Time Blizzard Give Us a Proper Threat Drop

Postby Purecadence » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:35 pm

So since WolTK came out ive played feral dps. Since we got buffed and made us viable, ive had issues with pulling threat as a kitty. Wondering how many others have this problem.

Right now even with a decent tank im pushing his buttons and have resorted to cowering. But with cower being SFA threat drop and 40 energy it does seem pointless. Right now im averaging about 7k tps when dpsing and when beserking i have seen it over 20k tps.

So does anyone else have these issues?

I think its about time blizzard give us something like vanish as the rogues have it.

Honored

Re: Threat Issues - Time Blizzard Give Us a Proper Threat Drop

Postby Dabeasty » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:36 am

Agree 100%. Even with vigilance and hunters/rogues MDing onto the tank I sometimes struggle. Without a very good tank I spend half the fight doing nothing.

I posted against the 'Druid Cataclysm Changes' thread on the main wow forums asking for them to sort cower out. As it is, its useless.

Postby Captain Fizz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:14 am

Purecadence wrote:...Since we got buffed and made us viable...

We were perfectly viable in TBC - Only late, late BT did issues apparently arise.

Anyway - Get a better tank is all I can say :/

If it's not one of 2 'main' tanks, I have threat issues. If it's the main main tank (or me apparently, wish I could tank for myself! >< ) then threat is not an issue, with enough TotT & MD's I can even use berserk on the pull!
The other tank 90% of the time also does enough threat for me not to worry.
Even without TotT & MD, with a GOOD tank there are no threat problems after the first 30 secs.

Tanks should be able to do 8~10k TPS sustained in 25-mans.

This is equiv geared though - If the tank isn't as geared/not using best rotation/low on hit/expertise then yep, we'll have threat issues. Just get more TotT & MD's :/

Honored

Postby Dabeasty » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:29 am

I have to disagree. Apart from the recent silly threat put out by DKs I have had trouble even with very, very good tanks. With Vigilance and some MDs I get by but otherwise I have to be very careful.

As for berserk, more often than not I find shortly after the pull is when I want to use it, I definitely think we need some threat dump...indeed we have one...it just doesnt work.

Postby Captain Fizz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:59 am

Yeah, cower is about as much use as just not attacking.
Supposed to be around a 3k threat reduc but is affected by kitty form.. So ends up as 2.something K threat reduc :roll:

So around 1 crit autoattack = Same as cower's reduction.
Lovely.

I remember in Ulduar having fairly serious threat issues... Had to stop 'rotation' a few times, waiting with berserk until next trinket proc, or 3rd etc.
Have made bear my main spec in ICC though but barely ever see anyone approaching my threat.
On boss fights it's usually Tank(s) <gap> DPS on Omen.

Could be they all just suck but one of our DK's was top10 on... Not WWS, not WoL.. The other one :P for a week or so.

There's always what I did in Uldy...
Macro with your 2 or 3 regular raiding pallies with /w <pally> Asking for HoS
Time them well for never having to worry about threat.
Our pallies kept them for the ferals :D

Postby Chetai » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 am

In my main 25 ICC runs I generally don't have threat issues. When I need it, I can call for a salv. I always get a Beserk and Hysteria on the pull. The MT has 3 rogues that chain tricks, and the OT has 2 hunters for MD. Generally its all about how good your tanks are at their threat, as well as how they have built their gear. Blizzard has stated already that they see the trend with higher gear levels when comparing threat between tanks and dps.

The only solution I have found is to cower (lol, about a 5% threat drop on omen), get a salv, or run the hell away/stop attacking (could cause boss kiting if not quick enough). Also, and alternative if you are a Night Elf is to shadowmeld. It's only a temporary threat drop, but it can give your tanks time to catch back up on threat.

As for pugs, well, thats a game of dodge ball in itself. Most pug tanks can't come anywhere close to generating enough threat. I usually reserve Berserk for when Hero/BL is used. I find myself constantly cowering, switching targets, or running away/stop attacking for a few seconds.

Just a change to cower to drop all threat would be a godsend, but I don't expect it. Ferals are really the only spec/class without some type of major threat dump.

Postby octechx » Tue May 11, 2010 8:36 pm

Threat really depends on your tank, Honestly use omen let your tank build aggro before you go nuts and lay off the swipe button. Cowers garbage your auto attack will negate the affect and now you lost energy a GCD and time. Its better to back off and hit FFF natures and barkskin to try and proc omen of clarity then to hit cower or use a trinket. Sometime i even cast moonfire as i back out to maintain some dps but not enough to pull aggro and i still get OOC procs from it.

Postby Purecadence » Wed May 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Actually our tanks threat is really high, It sits from 8-15k tps depending on the fight.

But over a 25m Fight i still ride him. My tps sits from 11-15k tps just dpsing. Its just the gain from beserker is pushing me over the caught up point. I still think blizzard need to give us a threat drop or a threat reduction talents. Feral Cats are the only class which dont have a passive threat reduction with there class. 1dps = 1tps for us. Most classes have a 15% or 30% passive threat reduction. A rogue has a full threat drop and a passive 30% threat reduction. This means a rogue doing 1dps productions 0.7 tps.

Postby octechx » Thu May 13, 2010 10:14 am

your gear and rotation must be tits. I don't pull pass 11k dps which usally doesn't make my threat that high. What kind of numbers are you pulling. I'd be really interested in seeing your recount. Maybe we could identify the problem and pitch it to blizzard.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Thu May 13, 2010 3:55 pm

We do have an innate 29% threat reduction, according to WoWWiki. I believe that's true...I haven't seen ferals have significantly higher threat generation (commensurate with dps) than other classes. In ICC25 normal, the only fights that I have threat issues are Sindragosa (tank in FrR gear) and Raging Spirits on LK. That said, Cower could use a buff...it's basically unusable.

Postby Purecadence » Thu May 13, 2010 6:33 pm

I wasnt aware that a innate threat reduction was introduced.

The numbers im pulling at the moment go anywhere from 12-14k on average. Think i pulled 12.4k on heroic festergut last night. In past moments in my old guild i pushed 13.7k on festergut normal. But with zerker going my burst dps is hitting up to 18k according to WoL graphs.

Ill can post a log for you when im home. Cant access it atm.

Return to Kitty DPS