Register

Mechanic Testing: Energy for FB w/Omen and Berserk

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

Mechanic Testing: Energy for FB w/Omen and Berserk

Postby raffy » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:26 pm

aggixx brought up the point that I might not be implementing FB extra energy correctly during Berserk, and sure enough, after some dummy testing, it appears like Berserk energy saving apply to FB energy conversion as well.

I guess this was some ninja change during MoP, because afaik, since Vanilla, FB still consumed up to ~37 energy during Berserk.

While doing this testing, which I could only do every 3 minutes, I started testing how much energy FB took while Clearcasting was up. My methodology was: 1. get 5 cp, 2. get to 100 energy, 3. wait for clearcast, 4. cast FB and watch energy deficit. What I noticed is that, it was only consuming about 15-19 energy; I've never seen my energy drop below 80. Sometimes, it wouldn't even consume 10 energy.

I was wondering if anyone else could test this, as it could be addon or latency related.

Edit:

If instead, I cast SR at full energy, I definitely drop below 80 energy.

Exalted

Re: Mechanic Testing: Energy for FB w/Omen and Berserk

Postby Leafkiller » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:26 am

raffy wrote:aggixx brought up the point that I might not be implementing FB extra energy correctly during Berserk, and sure enough, after some dummy testing, it appears like Berserk energy saving apply to FB energy conversion as well.

I guess this was some ninja change during MoP, because afaik, since Vanilla, FB still consumed up to ~37 energy during Berserk.

While doing this testing, which I could only do every 3 minutes, I started testing how much energy FB took while Clearcasting was up. My methodology was: 1. get 5 cp, 2. get to 100 energy, 3. wait for clearcast, 4. cast FB and watch energy deficit. What I noticed is that, it was only consuming about 15-19 energy; I've never seen my energy drop below 80. Sometimes, it wouldn't even consume 10 energy.

I was wondering if anyone else could test this, as it could be addon or latency related.

Edit:

If instead, I cast SR at full energy, I definitely drop below 80 energy.

This is due to latency in updating our energy. We reported this some time ago and the devs assured us it is working correctly.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Still seems weird that clearcast FB is different from SR (both 25), but maybe FB is server-side and SR can be done client-side.

The other thing I'm trying to verify is that energy is quantized as an integer or, if actually behind the wow API, energy is fractional.

Simc implements energy as a float (double) but I have the suspicious feeling that this was a side effect of how they implement their regen mechanics (there is no tick, and instead it just adds energy using a single composite haste lookup for however much time the simulator advanced).

I implement energy as a tick, every 100 ms / composite haste, so I can always gain +1.

If it is actually quantized, then I need to figure out how it works under Berserk. Just looking at the tooltip energy, I figured out the rounding (which later found out to be banker's rounding algorithm). For example, Rake 35 goes to 18 (according to tooltips) whereas FB 25 goes to 12.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:05 pm

If you edit any Ace-like addon, you can add the following event hook to monitor energy costs (this is only valid at 100 energy since the UNIT_POWER event doesn't fire every tick when there are no actions.)

Code: Select all
function addon:UNIT_POWER(event, unit)
   if unit ~= "player" then
      return
   end
   local cur = UnitPower("player")
   if self.last then
      local diff = self.last - cur
      if diff > 0 then
         print("Cost: ", diff)
      end
   end
   self.last = cur
end

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 pm

You could probably prove one way or another by activating Berserk and then hitting Rake as many times as you could in a row, and see how the energy value you ended up at compares to the expected value.

Return to Kitty DPS