Register

DoC / Energy capping & DoT uptimes

Face-rippin fun.
Honored

DoC / Energy capping & DoT uptimes

Postby Instaqueues » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:56 am

Maybe a question I could figure out if I had time, but I'm still new to DoC, and last night ran into this situation more often that I thought would be possible!

My Rake/Rip are about to expire at the same time, and I've got 4 CP so a Rake will refresh the DoT, and allow a 5 CP Rake immediately after, so that no uptime is lost. Well...I get a PS proc immediately before I Rake/Rip, but I don't know if I should let my energy cap for that second while I cast heal, and let my DoTs expire to allow for the DoC buffed Rake/Rip, or should I keep the uptime going, and DoC 2 shreds?

I've got no logs for this situation unfortunately because this happened in LFR last night. Our raid resumes tonight (after I get off work) so I'll have minimal time to experiment on my own. If anybody else has an answer to this question it would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Revered

Re: DoC / Energy capping & DoT uptimes

Postby Dysheki » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:21 am

Energy capping is always bad. Using shred when at 5 CPs is not optimal because you're wasting combo point potential.

Just to be sure I understand the situation completely: you're saying you have a PS proc to still use, 4 combo points, roughly 2-5 seconds on each rip/rake (both unbuffed by TF/DoC?), plenty of time left on SR, and will be energy capped before your bleeds run out?

I would personally do a Thrash, use PS to HT and proc your DoC, clip your rake with a buffed rake, then clip your rip with a buffed rip. Anyone else disagree?

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:43 am

The situation i experienced a few times last night (in one LFR) was a PS proc with about 2s left on Rip & Rake both, so I'm pressing the button with ~80-90 energy to refresh both (either rip or rake depending on my CP situation), and PS proc comes up. If I use HealingTouch, it's gauranteed one of my dots will fall off completely, but they would get the 25% dmg increase on their next cycle.

Last night, since I'm still getting used to DoC, I just refreshed rake / rip to keep uptime, and then used Healing Touch afterwards, which counted for my next 2 shreds.

And I haven't even used thrash, but plan to work that in as I get more comfortable with energy management.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:52 am

If you were to thrash you would spend one of the charges on that and not be able to buff the rip. Fairly sure the right choice is to cast the HT and energy cap for a fraction of a GCD.

Postby Nekkid » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 am

Am I missing something here?

I don't understand how you'd be in the situation of having 4cp's, and having a PS proc?
You get PS from using a finisher, and if you'd used a finisher to generate PS, you'd have no cp's, not 4 of them?

Are there any other ways of getting PS without using a finisher? I'm quite new to DoC myself, just want to understand it better :)

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:42 am

Nekkid wrote:Am I missing something here?

I don't understand how you'd be in the situation of having 4cp's, and having a PS proc?
You get PS from using a finisher, and if you'd used a finisher to generate PS, you'd have no cp's, not 4 of them?

Are there any other ways of getting PS without using a finisher? I'm quite new to DoC myself, just want to understand it better :)

PS lasts 8 seconds after you use a finisher, so if you opt to use it just before it expires (within 1.5sec of it dropping off) you'll usually be at around 3-5 CPs. This is also one of the reasons why the feral script suggests pooling energy before using a finisher (to make sure you get as many CPs before using CP as possible). The other way of course is to NS+HT for the DoC buff @4-5 CP.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 am

Right, you could easily pool some energy, use a finisher, get two yellow crits and BAM you still have a PS proc and have only used 3 seconds worth of GCD sitting at 4 CPs. Or, even if you don't pool, you could get some lucky omen procs and still reach 4-5 CPs with a few seconds remaining on your PS proc.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:58 am

I found out I was having latency issues with my addon. I've fixed that and have it a little more consistent now! I think with practice it will be fine in the future.

I was not getting alerted of a PS proc for sometimes 4-5 sec when it's available, which was why I was seeing it just before a Rip. I thought maybe the tooltip was bugged, but with some googling and your replies, I found out it was just me!

Also, using some Thrash has helped me prevent energy capping. I still need tons of practice, it feels like everything we did as cats in ICC to be the best DPS is only the foundation / basics of being a cat now days!

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Instaqueues wrote:I found out I was having latency issues with my addon. I've fixed that and have it a little more consistent now! I think with practice it will be fine in the future.

I was not getting alerted of a PS proc for sometimes 4-5 sec when it's available, which was why I was seeing it just before a Rip. I thought maybe the tooltip was bugged, but with some googling and your replies, I found out it was just me!

Also, using some Thrash has helped me prevent energy capping. I still need tons of practice, it feels like everything we did as cats in ICC to be the best DPS is only the foundation / basics of being a cat now days!

That doesn't sound like a latency issue at all. That's exactly how it's supposed to work, you're not supposed to use your PS right when you get it.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:26 pm

well, the issue was my addon wasn't alerting me that I had it available for 4-5sec after it was (1-2 sec left on the proc). So as I just went along, didn't really pay attention, then it pops up at the last second. Thankfully it pops up immediately when I get it now so I can plan ahead.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:13 pm

For some reason when I posted that I was under the impression you were talking about Ovale, no idea where that came from.

Return to Kitty DPS