Register

Garalon

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Re: Garalon

Postby Vaporgriffin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:42 pm

Here's the parse of our latest normal mode kill showing damage done by target - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-no6rb ... 427&e=4794 . Not a terribly impressive parse, I'll admit, but it should give you a rough idea of how things go.

*Edit - It's interesting when looking at that chart how you can see the damage spike on the leg, then as it dies, the huge damage spike on the boss. Love finding cool stuff like that by digging down into WoL parses.

Honored

Postby adianar » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 pm

That parse is a huge help. Looks like double dotting rakes on both all the time, rips on body only and lots of thrash. White damage on legs most of the time. This particular parse is about 10k above me anyway, so this helps me get a good picture. It helped a ton. Thanks very much.

Adi

Postby Vaporgriffin » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:18 pm

Since you said you're energy starved because of Thrash, I'll reiterate that I'm not using Thrash when I don't have an OOC proc - it's great when you can get it, but don't put it up if you're spending the full 50 energy on it. I do try to get a rake up on the body anytime I change targets (i.e. between legs, or after a leg dies), and yea absolutely never Rip on a leg unless you're the only person attacking it and it will take a long time to die for some reason. With the damage multiplier and with how quickly the legs die, I feel that it's vastly more effective to focus on direct damage on the legs - I really only put up Rake on the legs to buff my shreds, because I doubt I'm getting enough ticks out of it for it to be worth the energy otherwise. The other thing you might know already is that you can shred the leg from any direction, and regardless of where the leg is flailing around in the air, if you're in the middle of the buff circle, the leg's hitbox stays pretty well in the middle of the buff circle in spite of what you're seeing. It's a little counterintuitive, but just remember that you don't have to chase the leg, just stay in the Weak Spot circle and aim yourself at the middle of the circle and go to town.

Outside of that, people dying regularly should be pretty easy to troubleshoot - either people are getting crushed under the boss (bad), people are dying to the frontal cone (bad), people are dying to raid-wide pheremone damage (trade the pheremones at lower stacks), or you're doing everything right and healers can't keep up with the pheremone + crush damage, in which case they need to get more gear, or come up with a better healing strategy.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:15 pm

The legs usually die (or should be dying) before a full Rip could be completed on them. If you have a warlock your can symbiosis you could move your Rip from the main body to a leg and then use the combo points still on the body to start anothe Rip. For the most part putting more then a Rake on the legs will hurt your main body damage. If you find you are starved and Rip is falling off Garalon try to back off doing to much on the legs until you can find a good balance.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:46 pm

My guild has just started on HM 25 Garalon, and wow I gotta say it's shocking how far down the meters I am. 2nd last on DPS!

What I've gathered from reading this topic is not to go full out on legs but to use it as a means of building up DPS for the body, but even then having such low DPS is just embarrassing. I'm using SotF + HotW (because Tranquility at 55%+ is a lifesaver) and putting my Symbiosis on the Paladin tank for an extra CD to him and immunity from a Crush for me.

I will use Symbio on warlocks next time to shift bleeds on the body, but the raid lead pretty much insists all melee be on inner legs at all times it's up so I'll probably get raged at for doing anything otherwise lol. Any advice? : / Our closest wipe was on 6% and doing less DPS than some first-time trials on this fight is just depressing.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 am

I can't help you completely, because I'm only doing this fight on normal, and on 10M, but I've found symbio on a warrior to be better(for me) than a warlock. I use it opening up on the first leg, and then later during the fight when we have some time to hit the body (so everyone can enjoy it). As I run between legs, I usually rake the body (and try to get as many CP as possible) and then rip with whatever CP I have on it, before I start on a leg. Then I Rake the leg, and either FB or SR from the CP but never Rip.

The important thing is killing a leg deals 3% damage (in normal at least) to the body, and the leg is 3% of the body's health. So any damage you do to a leg = double damage to the body, plus you can keep damage on the body most of the fight. This translates into doing 300% damage on this fight (although you can't really keep a full rotation on either). I hope any of this can be helpful and used for heroic mode!

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:37 pm

I had the same idea before trying to start on Heroics (kill the legs asap). It really isn't a good way to go. The folks who had already done the fight successfully suggested otherwise, and they were correct. Killing the legs has 2 benifits. 1. Makes Garalon move slower. 2. Take 3% life. The problem is that the legs spawn at a set rate. As long as you have just enough damage on the leg to kill it before the next one spawns the rest of the raid can focus directly on the boss. In that time if all but just a few of the raid are attacking the boss you will do more then 3% of his life. That is key because the enrage is pretty tight when you first start.

For me personally I would just throw Rake on the legs if they where close to me to help out. Everyonce in a while a leg might not die in time and then you have some folks help out. On heroic I put my Symbiosis on our Shadow Priest for Dispersion and I used the SI glyph for my 3rd one. That gave me two 2 minute cooldowns to help the healers out with stomp. You won't have them up every stomp, but really help if someone doesn't pass the Pheramone in time. Make sure you have a cancelaura dispersion macro so you arn't locked out for 6 seconds.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Thank you very much for your advice, Insta and Tinder. I was putting very little DPS on the body at all and in general doing it completely wrong. With the knowledge that the legs respawn at a set rate, I won't be panicking as much to drop everything and DPS them now!

Our closest try so far as gotten Garalon to 6% (which is why my terrible DPS is kicking me in the conscious). Will post logs of the next raid if I'm not too embarrassed!

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Hope you get it down! We had DPS not keeping DPS/DoTs on the body while killing their leg our first week on him. I kept "yelling" at them to keep damage on the body, because you don't have to race the leg! After a couple attempts getting down to 20mil, they listened and we got him down. I'm still no expert at this fight (only downed him 2 or 3 times), and I pay way more attention to HT on the PS procs for low raid members, as our raid is still learning how to 'farm' it. Think I had 10 - 11k hps this week, and went down from 108k to 102k dps.

Also, make sure to thrash on OOC procs while in the leg's circle, it helps a lot.

Honored

Postby RareBeast » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:02 pm

We have got into a comfortable routine now. The rogue and I are on legs and usually the next one is popping up as we kill the current one - means double damage for almost all the fight for me. Occaisionally the tanks manage to kill the outside front leg and we get a break to hit the body, but usually I only really have time to keep rake and thrash up on the body - mind you, I am still rocking a blue weapon :(

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:28 am

Thank you for the additional tip, Insta!

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks to the tips from the wonderful people here, my DPS on 25 HM Garalon's not nearly as pathetic as last week! It's still somewhat embarrassing, so I'll try to slip into the encounter to practice much much more.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-y ... 103&e=8523

Any advice would certainly help :D

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm

I wouldn't get down on your performance. You had one of the highest damage totals on Garalon himself. Looking at the damage spread itself it looks like all of your melee save you were really whoring it up on the legs. Your casters had the right of it and were mostly just hitting Garalon. What it boils down to is you are doing what it takes to beat the encounter. If you want your DPS to go up you will need to start focusing on the legs and not Garalon. This is a case of you can do it right and look worse then the people whoring, or you can whore it up yourself and look better. Personally I would wait till you have the fight on farm before you try and look good vs making sure you win the encounter.

It looks like you had some crazy Thrash uptime. However as a result your Rip uptime was pretty bad. The Thrash uptime really does help your numbers, but it does really lower your damage on Garalon. If you save OOC procs for the legs and focus more on Garalon you will likely be closer to #1 damage on Garalon. You just may not be very high on the over all meters.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:18 pm

Have my kittens, Tinder! Definitely agree on getting it on farm before trying anything different; I've been trying out different tactics on LFR but sadly it's not that great a measure compared to HM. Will work on improving Rip's uptime!

Once again, thanks to all for the HUGE help! I honestly believe without it we would not have killed that bug last night.

Postby Ayowin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:39 am

Does expertise have any value for this fight? Does anyone know for sure if Garalon can dodge or parry? Thanks.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:35 am

Quick glance at my logs and I do see Parries. I would assume he can dodge as well.

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 am

Tbh people shouldnt bother much about garalon. This fight is pure shit for us, I ranked on it THIS WEEK first time couse of RNG/Comp/Slackers on legs.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 pm

I try not to DPS whore myself until the 4th time we are killing it (that's when I consider it to be on farm). Of course, we only have 8 people in our raid, so we have to pug 2 every week :P But, I couldn't imagine the DK beating me on this fight this week...so I whored myself to the legs and got 174th. I guess next week I'll try harder to get moar deeps, and maybe I won't have to run across the platform to brez >.< or have to tranq! ;)

My dps went down to mid 90s when I did this the "right way" and did just enough to legs, and the rest to Garalon. But, even with my DPS whoring, I still did 20m to Garalon, where the DK only did 17M, so I don't feel too bad!
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-w ... 653&e=4053

Previous

Return to Boss Archives