Register

Keybinding Question

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Keybinding Question

Postby Zaxxan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Ok so I have played feral since the launch of TBC. Witnessed the major changes to the class, and the complexity of our rotation go up. I have done well with the new system consistently top DPS in my guilds in Wrath and still do well now even with our current issues. My DPS sits near where Mew thinks it should be for my gear, but I have a dirty little secret:

I click, I have since I started playing I just never got around to using keybinds. I want to change this because as well as I have been doing I know that I could eke out a little more DPS. Since I am not currently consistently raiding now seems to be the perfect time to learn instead of screwing around in raids trying to adjust :D The thing is, I don't even know where to start. I can't crib from another feral in my guild or one of my friends, because..well I am the only one, lol I apparently am friends with an Anti Kitty Group or something.

So if someone would share their keybindings to give me a place to start I would much appreciate it. Oh I was also recently gifted a G15 keyboard and G9 mouse, first thought, ohhhh pretty, second thought, what the hell do I do with these macro buttons >.<

Revered

Re: Keybinding Question

Postby Sylvaneart » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:09 pm

Keybindings are users specific really. What i would do is start with something like bartender. It is easy to set up. Now as to acctual keys i say place your hand on the key board. With the size of my hand it feel natural to have my pinky on the tab button, ring on 2, middle on 3, pointer on 4 and thumb on space. I use my Pniky to hit tab and ~. My ring hits W, A, S, D, 1 and 2. Middle hits 3. Pointer hits 4, 5, 6, and 7. Thumb hits space. I have a programable mouse and i use 8 buttons on it. When setting up your keybinds you must spend lots of time on a dummy commetting it to muscle memory.
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Postby cynrh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:34 pm

First, druids have an obnoxious amount of spells to deal with, you can't keybind it all. The ones you want to keybind are the critical ones that you want access to while moving. Start slow, learn to use a few keys at a time. If you try to bind too much you'll have all kinds of problems remembering what's what. I've been playing druid since the start and I still click a lot of abilities. There's no shame in clicking Tranquility - its not like you need to move, anyway!

Since I come from a FPS background, the first thing I do in any game is move WASD to ESDF. This gives me more buttons on the left for my pinkie to hit buttons, but getting used to ESDF takes time so I'll write as though WASD (but I highly recommend people consider it). From WASD your prime real estate is the buttons around it, particularly above. So for WASD, Q and E are two of the easiest - I put Shred and Rake here. I put my finishers on the number bar - so for WASD I'd use 2 and 3 for Rip and SR respectively (and 1 and 4 for Maim and FB).

From there the only other high priority buttons I can think of are Skull Bash, Feral Charge, and Mangle. You'll need to find space to the right, like R/F. Defensives like Barkskin and SI are not that important for PVE, you can get away with clicking these since PVE usually give you ample warning of incoming badness. Same with the CC's, its not necessary to keybind them either. PVE feral keybinds are pretty simple, its PVP where the defensives, the shapeshifts, the CC, and the trinket also ought to get bound.

I use the Razer Naga with a thumb numpad and really like it as well. There's only so much you can do around the movement keys.

Postby Hakana4155 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Like Sylaneart says kindbinds are personnel. What I did was get a keyboard that allows me to switch the numeric keypad to th left side of the keyboard. I have the stuff I used keybound to the numeric pad. Work really well for me. Its a Microsoft Sidewinder X6. Another thing about it there a some programmable keys that I set up the shift foms.

Postby Tikrin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 pm

As the others mentioned, totally up to you. Keyboard, and mouse can really help change the way you keybind.

I try my best to only use the following:

1 2 3 4
Q W E
A S D F G
Z C V

I did, however, make sure to buy a mouse with at least 5 buttons to help with bindings. Most of the mouse bindings are pvp related though. Shifting, roots, cyclone, hibernate, etc. My fiancee blessed me with the Cataclysm mouse for Christmas though, so I'm pretty set on bindings.

This may be too detailed, but I'll list out my abilities(Cat Form), just so you can have a decent idea of what you could do.

1: Swipe
2: Rake
3: Mangle
4: Ferocious Bite
Q: Tiger's Fury
Shift-Q: Feral Charge
E: Mangle
Shift-E: Survival Instincts
F: Rip
Shift-G: Berserk
Z - Feral Faerie Fire
Shift-C: Shred
V - Barkskin
Scroll Up on Mouse - Ravage!

I admit that my Shred is probably in a bizarre spot, but I placed it there while leveling, and grew into the habit of using it there.

As Sylvaneart mentioned, it turns into muscle memory after awhile. Shift-Q, E, Z, Shift-C, Q, Shift-C, 2, Scroll Up, F.

Postby Zaxxan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:27 pm

Thank you for the replies. It is definitely going to take some time at the practice dummy to get used the way it feels.

Postby Shardik » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 pm

Get a good gaming keyboard with plenty of buttons bundled close to each other ( I use http://www.infiniterush.com/blog/wp-con ... /n52te.jpg )

Get a good gaming mouse with plenty of buttons close to each other (I use the older wow mouse http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-conte ... -mouse.jpg , though I don't use the buttons below the scroll wheel nor the up and down buttons in the "D-pad" to make sure I don't do any misclicks).

Get Clique or a similar click casting addon, and you can get every spell bound. Use the setup for a few months, and you can easily cast everything you need by muscle memory, and do that really fast too.

I can write a short guide to the forums here about configuring and getting it all together(Guide in finnish that I did 2 years ago http://www.goblinexplosives.net/forum/v ... =39&t=1970 , it's mostly out of date now, though) when I get the time. Had a massive burn-out, so the time I use on wow is pretty limited atm.

Postby Zaxxan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

I had looked in to getting an n52 or similar gaming peripheral but I simply don't have the desk real estate for Keyboard, Mouse, and one of those. Mouse wise I was looking at the new Razer Naga mouse, but I haven't had my g5 very long so trying to get the purchase of another mouse so soon after the purchase of one would be a hard sell to the girlfriend, I'm not willing to pay the price of that just yet, and it has nothing to do with money, lol.

Postby Shardik » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:50 pm

The first rule of raiding is, don't talk about raiding...or the expenses, to your girlfriend.

Postby Beanna » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:30 pm

Zaxxan wrote:I had looked in to getting an n52 or similar gaming peripheral but I simply don't have the desk real estate for Keyboard, Mouse, and one of those. Mouse wise I was looking at the new Razer Naga mouse, but I haven't had my g5 very long so trying to get the purchase of another mouse so soon after the purchase of one would be a hard sell to the girlfriend, I'm not willing to pay the price of that just yet, and it has nothing to do with money, lol.

Best keyboards in my opinion are the "tiny" ones. Very little keyboards similar to laptop's keyboards are the best because they have all buttons bundled close to each other. With this kind of keyboard you would have about twice as much buttons at your fingertips and this is essential if you want to play with keybinds imo. Anyway, use keybinds will require a lot of training as your muscles are not accustomed. The best thing to do is begin training them with a good keyboard you will use for a long time. ^^

Example : Logitech Ultra-flat keyboard. Every buttons are condensed and you have more buttons easily reachable. Btw this one is pretty cheap, you should give it a try if you don't feel comfortable with your current keyboard.

About the mouse, I personnally use the Logitech g500 for his precision (I'm infographist) and it fits perfectly for games too. I don't like mice covered with buttons because they do not correspond with my grip and using modifiers and dynamic pages in bartender I think I have enough keybinds to play properly, but it is specific to each player.

Postby cynrh » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:32 am

Re: the Razer Naga, I can say that the numpad 'feels' right - it is exactly under your natural thumb resting position, assuming you are right-handed. It is very convenient to use without affecting your grip on the mouse, much more so than the classic 'ridge' buttons that many mice add too high on the left side of a mouse, where you have to awkwardly lift your thumb. The Naga has two of those, and I barely use them for that reason. The only problem I have encountered with the thumb numpad is simply trying to get my thumb to learn the pad accurately; currently I'm only using five of the buttons regularly because I am afraid of mis-clicks. They give you training 'pips' to stick on, but these are not permanent. I'm trying to find a way to permanently mark the 5 of the thumbpad with a pip (probably with epoxy) so I can use that as a resting/reference point. I have Charge/Ravage/SkBash/Trinket/Ventrilo here so far, planning to add Barkskin/SI.

I have tried using a Nostromo handpad (n51?) and failed to make much use of it. I found controlling movement via a D-pad was horribly awkward for me, and if I bound the movement keys to the keypad it felt like there was hardly any keys left over. It felt like you had to use shift-key modifiers to get any amount of keybinding done, and I only like to use shift/alt/ctrl binds for non-important functions. I still ended up using the keyboard too to use uncommon keys like chat reply, info panes, etc. The Naga has taken me only a fraction of the time to learn, because instead of learning an entire keyboard replacement its simply learning to make more use of my thumb. However a friend of mine (plays a priest and is an excellent player) loves his Nostromo and uses it in a lot of games (Starcraft, etc) so YMMV.

Postby Shardik » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm

I use the N52te(N52 was the earlier model, and basically the same) D-pad to move, and the big button next to it to jump. Like I said, it does take a while to get used to, and it probably isn't for everyone.

Postby Antioch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 am

*double post* no idea how i posted twice, delete if needed :)
Last edited by Antioch on Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Antioch » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:06 am

I didn't have the time to read perfectly all the other posts so i apologise if anything i say has already been mentioned.
I'm in a similar situation to you, i just recently switched from being a clicker ( i would like to think i was exceptionally good at this) to keybindings. My motivation was purely pvp, although i do raid in a relatively high end raiding guild as the only feral.
I raid regularly, 5 days a week on average so in order to not take my learning into those raids, possibly making mistakes because of it, i found doing random bg's an excellent way to practice my new bindings.
I decided to go cold turkey when it came to bindings, i have do admit i felt totally lost for the first few days, but i have to confess that in the meantime ive grown to love keybindings. It's 100% worth the effort and you will find a drastic improvement once you get used to it.
Now as to the actual reason im posting, its just to link you 2 things that i found invaluable when it came to taking the plunge.
First is This Guide and secondly Bindpad
Bindpad makes keybindings a joy to do.
I would also suggest you make your macros 2 stance macros too for keybindings. Eg. /cast [stance:1] "insert spell" /cast [stance:2] "insert spell". You limit the ammount of macros and bindings necessary and can have different spells cast depending on which form your in. Also use an addon like bartender and set it so the bars ignore mouse clicks, this way you have no choice but to remember the binding :)
Anyhoo, no matter what way you chose to go about about it, i hope you have fun and when you find yourself ferocious biting those valuable 5 combo points when you actually meant to rip, just remember, it's worth it in the end :)

Return to Kitty DPS