Register

Blade Lord Ta'Yak

Re: Blade Lord Ta'Yak

Postby threeeyedcat » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:17 pm

In our 10 man.. we dont have a lock, no dps warrior, no disc. priest. We tend to call when the tornado phase is about to start from our raid leader. the healers coordinate to top people off.... maybe a tranq from our resto druid. Everyone gets pulled to the end and starts running.

Now this is where things get iffy. The reality is... you will have people who can dodge tornadoes and those that can't :evil: People need to arrive in a group. This sounds more like your problem. For some reason our healers seem to be the latter too. I don't know why. they might be reacting to the raid dot. And this can cause the occasional wipe. I tend to go HotW on this fight just for this very reason.. and symbiosis the shadow priest for an extra minor tranq [dispersion too!]. Yep.. basically buying some insurance. As a group, we have it on farm. But sure enough this week... resto shaman yells out..."you guys are way ahead of your healers" - which translates into ... "Us healers are taking a ride.bye" Then tanks/Dps - pop defensive cooldowns.. I pop HotW+tranq when it looks grim... "meet you on the literal other side healers." We burst dps here too...pots+dps cooldown to start the transition quicker. Our back up on the other side is shadow priest tranq, dps shaman healing tide, and our healers [if they haven't died]. I try to roll my PS+HT on myself as much as possible... saving NS+HT as back up. I will throw a quick rejuv on myself for the initial run. Then hit sroar when we are clumped. Also i have dispersion for either run. I tend to feral charge the boss.. and hit barkskin once i get up on the ramp. If the healers are not around.. sometimes SI. You can also hit yourself with a rejuv at the end of HotW elapse... to have a hot when you go back to dps.

Honored

Postby Instaqueues » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:33 am

Well, we beat it a lot better this week, even though I accidentally stepped in the stream during tranq and just said "f it, i'll ride it out" :P

Some observations regarding Ursol's Vortex though: If you get it off before he teleports the first time, your rip will be extended, but I could not get it to extend if I got it off after his first teleport. The difference in DPS was about 65-70k w/ no extention, and 90-95k w/ the extention (phase 1). We wiped plenty of times so I had a lot of chances to test this :D

Honored

Postby Etapicx » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:02 pm

Symbiosis Divine Shield and enginnering belt swang i'm at the boss before my fellow raiders are half way ^^

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 pm

You can Thrash the boss during Blade Tempest to keep from energy capping.

Honored

Postby Helistar » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:52 am

Since we finally managed to get it down in 25H, some random comments:
- WC is probably better than FS, but I had FS for the fight and it's not a big problem
- damned boss turns around like an idiot all the time, when I cannot focus on moving around I turn to mangle-spam to avoid energy capping.
- I always go HotW for the healing utility in P2.
- refresh DoTs before blade tempest if they'll be falling down soon, move in at the last second of blade tempest to be able to resume DPS fast, the range where you take damage is actually fairly small.
- Barkskin aligns exactly with Unseen Strike. If you're not using DoC, NS also aligns nicely and allows you to easily survive being bumped into a tornado.
- Berserk/prepot at the beginning, then one berserk in mid-combat. With the boss moving around a lot it's a mess to time it correctly, but I've found that just after an unseen strike it's the best way to make full use of it. The last berserk will be up for P2.
- go single-tank, you can switch to bear and pull the boss of the MT in order to gain a stack of the damage debuff so that the MT will lose his stack. The timing matches the blade tempest. As a feral, even without HotW help you can easily survive the 5-8 seconds you need to keep the boss on you. Alternate between full bear CDs (MoC+SI) and dispersion (dispersion tanking!!! -90% damage!!! whoo-hoo!!! :)).

BTW I tend to hate the fight, since there are some weird bugs at times (blade tempest, double-pulling people, unseen strike hitting at weird angles, tornadoes pulling you from a distance), it looks like the syncing beween client and server is shaky.

Postby Vaporgriffin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 pm

In addition to barkskin, I would suggest dropping into bear form for the unseen strike. I don't know if there's any damage benefit to staying in bear for a thrash on the way back in after the knockback, but since you're just standing there waiting to be hit anyway, you might as well mitigate a bit more damage on the strike.

There's also something that we learned about unseen strike positioning, although it was difficult to use the knowledge effectively. Basically when he chooses the person for the strike, the direction that the strike comes from is the direction that the boss would have had to face when he chose that person. So let's assume that everyone in the group is perfectly stacked on each other behind the boss (lets say on the South side) and the tanks are in front of the boss (on the North side) - if one of the dps or healers is chosen for the strike, the direction that the strike will hit people will be to the South. If one of the tanks is chosen, the strike will knock people to the North. This means that when one of the tanks is chosen, the group needs to be careful to stack very tightly, or have the marked tank run through the group 1 or 2 steps to the South so that the cleave hits the whole group. We had multiple tries where people would collapse to the stack point but the tank would be just slightly on the North side of the stack still and the cleave wouldn't hit the full group.

Since you are never stacked in normal practice until the strike is actually happening, this direction dance will extend to where people are standing when they get chosen. So if we keep the same cardinal direction idea with the tanks at North and the rest of the group spread out in a semicircle facing them, if someone standing at the SW position is chosen, the strike will push the group to the SW.

Like I said, this isn't necessarily going to be information that you will be able to use on the fly, but we found that it was important when the tanks were being picked. If your group is really good about stacking tightly, it shouldn't really matter too much.

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:02 am

Helistar wrote:- Berserk/prepot at the beginning, then one berserk in mid-combat. With the boss moving around a lot it's a mess to time it correctly, but I've found that just after an unseen strike it's the best way to make full use of it. The last berserk will be up for P2.

Depends on your raid DPS, on your first kill this will probably be the case but as you gear up it's probably a better idea to hold your second berserk for the 20% burn, and then if you use the slipstream at the right time you can easily refresh the rip all the way to 0%.

Helistar wrote:BTW I tend to hate the fight, since there are some weird bugs at times (blade tempest, double-pulling people, unseen strike hitting at weird angles, tornadoes pulling you from a distance), it looks like the syncing beween client and server is shaky.

Don't forget the boss auto-attacking a random person in range after the Unseen Strike as well as people being permanently dragged to the boss after DCing during Blade Tempest.

Previous

Return to Boss Archives