Register

When to switch to rake as a filler?

Face-rippin fun.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

When to switch to rake as a filler?

Postby Arnathis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:35 pm

I know I read it somewhere and I've scoured the forums but I can't find it again. When or at what ilvl should we be switching to rake as our cp generator? Can someone explain to me why we're doing that again?

Also, I've read some conflicting info on thrash/swipe for aoe. Currently I'm thrashing then swiping and refreshing thrash at <2 seconds, but I've read some peoples posts on here and it sounds like at a certain point they're only spamming thrash. Is this only once we get RoR or is it again at a certain ilvl?

Thanks for your help guys.

Re: When to switch to rake as a filler?

Postby Arnathis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:42 pm

Since I've always found TFD's community to be more than helpful I'm going to assume that either the people that have seen this are unsure of the answers or my post doesn't make sense. If it's the latter I apologize, I'm just coming back from a relatively long break from progression raiding. If I'm wrong about anything please tell me.

Ty in advance.

Exalted

Postby raffy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:32 pm

Rake as filler or Thrash-spam only apply if you're 1:1:1 reforged with Rune.

For DoC, you never actually switch to Rake as a CP generator. The moment you get a DoC'd Rake up, it would be silly to overwrite it with a non-DoC'd Rake. Possibly, during a Rune proc, you might waste multiple DoC charges on a Rake, once at beginning of the proc and another before it falls off.

If you're looking for something to maximize, it's probably better to focus more capitalizing on Rune procs by switching to Mangle during energy starvation or DoT downtime periods to build CP quickly. Nothing is more frustrating than a poorly aligned Rune proc.

Horridon is the only fight so far that I've done that would involve using Thrash twice during a Rune proc. In my parse, my Thrash DPS was as high as my Rip and Melee damage, and I was often double-Thrashing during procs. And before the final burn, I bet my Thrash damage was near my Rake damage. I have some a few swipes in there too, probably Raking would of been better: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-6mbu85yhnr30qm3f/

Again like Rake, you'd only want to double-Thrash if you can DoC them both, or if you're doing one at the start of the proc and one at the end. Double-Thrash back to back would probably be better spent on Thrash+multiple Rakes, but there's probably a point where straight Thrash spam is better. Still, your maximum energy regen during the 10s proc isn't that much, so your decisions are typically: can I get Rake+Rip`5? If yes, do it. If no, should I Thrash or Rake?

Exalted

Postby aggixx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:35 am

raffy wrote:Rake as filler or Thrash-spam only apply if you're 1:1:1 reforged with Rune.

Pretty much this, you use it when Rune proc is up.

However there are some extraordinary circumstances where you may be interested in using Rake instead of Shred, such as multiple mastery buffs on Primordius.

Honored

Postby Cetlysm » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:58 am

quick similar question, when does thrash become better aoe than swipe without rune but with 2 RPPM agility trinkets?
Will Bad juju and renataki with at least 5 stacks surpass swipe as aoe spam while just using a 522 weapon.
ImageImage

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:14 pm

I don't think you want to spam Thrash. It's to expensive with no combo points given. Overwriting the bleed is just a waste. If you have a Rune proc up refreshing it before it falls off isn't to bad if you know the back will take 10 seconds to die. A thrash and lots of rakes are likely better for a pack smaller then 6.

Return to Kitty DPS