Register

Incoming change to Savage Defense?

Observe my Growling Bear style. I block blows...with my FACE.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Exalted

Incoming change to Savage Defense?

Postby Leafkiller » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:12 pm

If this goes through it will help a lot for AOE situations:

For Savage Defense the change we're thinking about would probably be instead of reducing the next physical attack for X damage, it would instead absorb X damage for some duration. Big single target hits would probably drop the shield either way, but all the dinkier hits from pack pulls would be mitigated rather well. It's probably something you'll see fleshed out on the PTR.

Source: http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/1662 ... -tanks-bad

Revered

Re: Incoming change to Savage Defense?

Postby Sylvaneart » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:55 pm

That is exactly what i have been asking for:)
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Honored

Postby felhoof » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:43 pm

It actually helps a lot less than you think depending on how they implement it. Right now the problem isn't dinky hits vs super big hits - it's super big hits vs mostly big hits.

Heroic mobs can hit for upwards of 10-20k depending. SD currently gets wasted on the 10k, but not as much as you'd think - close to 5-10k is wasted. That'll help, but if that 10k gets refreshed by another crit (which is almost certainly going to happen with swipe) you're not gaining anything if you wouldn't have gotten hit in that time.

Now if they allow SD to stack in damage absorption that would solve both issues and make the only problem that it doesn't actually scale with incoming damage. Still, it would go a long, long way towards fixing most of the issues with SD and making it significantly stronger for bears.

Honored

Postby Goodmongo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:43 am

It will help a lot for soloing old content.

Postby Lax » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:45 am

• Lacerate bonus threat has been removed and replaced with increased initial damage done.
  • Savage Defense has been redesigned slightly. Instead of a single charge absorption, it now places an absorption effect on the druid absorbing up to 35% of the druid's attack power (modified by mastery, if applicable) in damage and lasting 10 seconds. There are no longer any charges on the effect.
  • Swipe (Bear) cooldown has been reduced to 3 seconds, down from 6, and is now trainable at level 18 (training cost has been reduced). In addition, the bonus threat from this ability has been removed and replaced with increased damage done.
  • Thrash bonus threat has been removed and replaced with increased damage done.

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/223 ... s-March-30

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 am

I just saw the bonus threat removal this morning. Hmmmmm
Be sure to subscribe to The Fluid Druid RSS feed and follow me on twitter! @Sylvaneart

Honored

Postby Morghan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:53 am

Question is does using swipe 2 times more often = the loss of threat bonus....hmmm

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 pm

"replaced with damage done"

They are increasing our dps as bears - in a way that I am guessing will be threat neutral in the current content, but will scale better as our gear improves. I am sure someone will be testing this on the PTR shortly to provide some actual numbers.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:25 pm

My problem is that with the DPS increase+threat decrease we wont have anymore AoE threat than before.

Postby Shardik » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:35 pm

Don't forget Swipe CD reduction

Honored

Postby felhoof » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:12 pm

\My problem is that with the DPS increase+threat decrease we wont have anymore AoE threat than before

Swipe is not being improved as a threat output, no. It's increasing the damage done by 50%, which is great, but the actual threat will not be increased.
Thrash is the same, save they're fixing the bleed being mitigated by armor. So there's an improvement.
The big improvement is in doing an extra swipe every 6 seconds, which will double the amount of threat produced by swipe in 6 seconds. That's a pretty big deal. Between that and the bleed fix for thrash things should be improved.

The lacerate boost is the real win here; lacerate will be a bit less in threat on normal hits but much better on crits. It'll be doing pretty huge damage.

Postby wraithaur » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:22 pm

it sounds like to me we will be seeing bear dmg like we saw back in BC. I remember running heroics back then with bears topping dmg meters.

Honored

Postby felhoof » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:08 pm

I was averaging around 13-14k on trash, peaking to 40k with berserk and doing around 11k on bosses in various heroics.

It was pretty fun. Thrash is...scary damage now.

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:52 pm

I was able to tank ZG last night and i noticed my damage increase (after recount/skada where fixed). I had simalare numbers to you Fel. I did notice a problem with my swipe/thrash macro. It was using thrash, then swipe but wouldn't do the 2nd swipe from lowered CD until it could thrash 1st again. Any help?

Exalted

Postby Leafkiller » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Did you try something like "/castsequence reset=6 Swipe, Thrash, Swipe, Mangle(Bear)?"

Revered

Postby Sylvaneart » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:24 pm

i did a quick fix last night doing something like
/cast thrash
/cast swipe

I basically took out the rest and it seemed to start working but i had things to do and had to get offline before i could really look into it.

Honored

Postby felhoof » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:17 pm

I changed my macro to 'castsequence reset=6 swipe(Bear form), thrash, swipe(Bear form). Worked fine.

Return to Bear Tanking