Register

Another 'Help my DPS' thread.

Face-rippin fun.
Honored

Another 'Help my DPS' thread.

Postby bearpelt » Sun May 05, 2013 9:40 pm

I apologise for starting a new thread, but can't seem to find the old consolidated one any longer.

Recently, I moved to a new guild for Throne of Thunder progression raiding. I'm not sure if folks here are just far more skilled than my previous guilds, my skill level is dropping drastically or I just generally blow at padding meters; I'm near the bottom, if not at the bottom of the DPS meters on most fights. This is unacceptable for my gear level. It's quite upsetting for someone who's taken pride in playing a decent cat for years now and if I cannot improve, I have a feeling I'll be replaced soon.

And so I ask you all humbly for your help in the matter. I welcome all forms of constructive criticism.

Logs:
Jin'rohk (H), Horridon (H), Council of Elders, Tortos (H)
Durumu, Primordius, Dark Animus, Iron Qon (H attempts) (Note: I had my SP weapon equipped on a couple of fights =_=;)

Armoury: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/F ... s/advanced

* I'm not confident of using DoC yet so use MotW for all fights.

Honored

Re: Another 'Help my DPS' thread.

Postby Elamari » Mon May 06, 2013 1:07 am

I'm by no means and expert on gear optimization, but I did notice your secondary stats are a bit off. AFAIK, with Rune, the idea is to get haste/crit/mastery as close as possible with just a tad more mastery. Do you use a reforge addon / site to help you with this?
I also remember reading somewhere on the forums here that the helm is the best off set because the offset one gives a better socket bonus - 180 agi off set vs 180 crit tier. So I'm inclined to think that you would see a dps increase if you could get off set helm and T15 shoulders.
As for logs, someone else will have to help you there. I'm terrible and doing it for myself so there is no way I'd comment on another persons.

I have a couple of questions. I'm not in heroics at the moment so this might sound ignorant of me. Is there a reason why you have the DB talent and are using glyph of shred and not glyph of cat form?

In any case hope you get some good feedback from other people. Cheers,

~Elamari
Cricket? Nobody understands cricket. You have to know what a crumpet is to understand cricket.

File under Feral - http://fileunderferal.wordpress.com/

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Mon May 06, 2013 1:41 am

Thank you for your reply Elamari!

My reforging is as follows: Hit/Exp > Mastery/Haste/ Crit with Mastery slightly over to trigger RoR. I'm currently giving Mastery quite a large buffer because of the +3000 haste raid buff.

I'm still hoping to get that darn shoulder tier with no luck. Have that Helm off-set piece lying in wait, though!

As for the choice of the Displacer Beast talent and Glyph of Shred, I have to admit not having changed out of them from last night's attempts at Iron Qon heroic (Displacer Beast helps a LOT during Tornadoes, and the boss turns a lot, hence Glyph of Shred).

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Mon May 06, 2013 1:54 am

I'm pretty rusty at this kind of analysis, but your DoT uptimes (for Jin'rokh at least) seem really low. Even with the HoTW time, I'd think your uptimes should be in the 70-80% range, not the 40-50% range.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 am

Whoa a wild Alaron spotted!

I'll looking into taking Wild Charge instead of Feline Swiftness for that fight to leap back on to boss after the Lightning Strike phase. How are other kitties maintaining 80% uptime for HM Jin'rokh though? o.o During Lightning Strike my raid is positioned on the grates to avoid getting owned by the ball lightnings, so the boss is out of reach T_T. I cycle Symbiosis-ed Dispersion and Survival Instincts for that phase too.

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Mon May 06, 2013 3:04 am

bearpelt wrote:I'll looking into taking Wild Charge instead of Feline Swiftness for that fight to leap back on to boss after the Lightning Strike phase. How are other kitties maintaining 80% uptime for HM Jin'rokh though? o.o During Lightning Strike my raid is positioned on the grates to avoid getting owned by the ball lightnings, so the boss is out of reach T_T. I cycle Symbiosis-ed Dispersion and Survival Instincts for that phase too.

We've always just dodged the balls and stayed on the boss. But if your raid doesn't do this there's not much you can do (no reason to change strategy if you're killing the boss easily).

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Mon May 06, 2013 3:18 am

Hi Stenhaldi!

Yeah at this point some folks are actually still dying during Lightning Strike so our raid leader has had us stick to grates. I guess I might try hanging on to boss a little longer before running to grates popping Dispersion/ SI, then running/ charging back in just before the phase ends to try increasing DoTs uptime!

For a Patchwerk-type fight, the logs for Primordius would probably be best to refer to since we wanted to go for the achievement this week.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

bearpelt wrote:My reforging is as follows: Hit/Exp > Mastery/Haste/ Crit with Mastery slightly over to trigger RoR. I'm currently giving Mastery quite a large buffer because of the +3000 haste raid buff.

The 3,000 mastery from Kings/whatever is not included in the calculation. Just get as close as you can with no raid buffs.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Mon May 06, 2013 11:43 am

Oh my... Thank you, Dysheki! Will fix that.

Postby Yriss » Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm

[quote="bearpelt"] (Note: I had my SP weapon equipped on a couple of fights =_=;)

For this, i personnally put a set with my agi weapon (don't forget to update it if you change your weapon), and made a macro, when i switch back to cat, i automatically equip my dps weapon

/cancelform
/cast Cat Form
/equipset nameofyourset

Keep this order to avoid switch weapon gcd
(you can use /cast !Cat Form instead of two first lines, but i keep cancelform for personnal reason)

For reforging, you should try Catus, Raffy made an excellent work with this, check on sticky

Can't check your logs today, have to go to raid in a few minutes

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Mon May 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Thank you for the tip, Yriss!

I've finally gotten the tier shoulders and have redone a lot of my reforging (hmm... Mr Robot kept giving me errors though).

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 am

Adding Iron Qon (N) and Twin Consorts (N) for logs!

Postby timmydactal » Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Rip uptime seems low for your Qon log, even though there are a handful of mechanics that interfere with it (the worst being windstorm), you can push for a higher Rip uptime on Qon by getting past a few of those. I personally re-apply Rip right before Windstorm and try to extend it as much as I can, even if I have to override a stronger Rip. And the other mechanics, well, just gotta handle them correctly and Rip uptime shouldn't get impacted too heavily.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 pm

Thank you, Timmydactal. Will push for some higher dot uptime next reset on all fights.

Postby Ardezar » Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm

I've analyzed your Twin Consorts logs which is easiest to compare across fights.

In my opinion, your thrash uptime is too high (74%) and you should spend your energy at this point focusing on your other skills. Use thrash on omen procs for sure but I wouldn't bother with it until you are comfortable with the rest of your rotation.

Other minor issues that I spotted was:

- Not 100% uptime on Savage Roar (You're at 96% which is good but not perfect)
- Rip uptime slightly low at 92%
- Not enough FBs.

I would also strongly encourage you to try out DoC in LFRs and dungeons to get a feel for it since DPS is your main concern atm.
Last edited by Ardezar on Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Wed May 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Thank you very much Ardezar, for taking the time to trawl through those logs. Will most definitely cut back on Thrash and dedicate that extra energy to SR, Rip and FB!

As for DoC, I intend to revisit that when I figure out the regular rotation and can actually pull my weight with it. ><

For the moment, I've changed RoO with an LFR version of Renataki's to cut back on the stat RNG ickiness while trying to re-learn the spec all over again.
My reforging is now at Hit = Exp > Mastery > Haste > Crit. Not very sure if or how this will help, but I did find I was doing much better before getting RoO. :/

Postby Ardezar » Wed May 08, 2013 1:23 pm

I can't say I'd recommend the trinket switch but it is one less buff to track. The RNG isn't as big as you might think since it usually procs at the beginning of combat (on the first faerie fire) and that's when your pots and trinkets are active. Also, you might get a few kitties here angry for having RoO and not using it!

Revered

Postby Stenhaldi » Wed May 08, 2013 5:43 pm

While its proc is easier to use, renataki's is certainly more random than re-origination, not less, due to its much smaller proc rate.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Wed May 08, 2013 10:46 pm

Heya Ardezar and Stenhaldi,

Aye, I realise RoO requires an amount of buff management I appear to lack at the moment. I won't be throwing RoO away, just testing out Renataki's until I find out what's the matter or until I figure how to abuse RoO. /dodges angry kitty glares

*Edit: Whoa. Renataki's just made my DPS drop even farther D: Switching back to RoO.

Honored

Postby bearpelt » Thu May 09, 2013 2:03 pm

Durumu's log from this evening:
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-dpi5j ... 31&e=12291

Keeping in mind what all you very kind posters have been saying, I've been bashing training dummies and trying to improve DoT uptimes, but still pretty disheartened by how far down I am on the list D:

Honored

Postby Grenache » Thu May 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Yeah, the DKs are really strong right now.

Postby feralminded » Fri May 10, 2013 8:24 am

If it makes you feel any better you were the 9th best performer even though you ranked 14th in DPS. I have the same problem, even though I am usually top 5 in overall performance (by rank), I am rarely even in the top half of the DPS chart. We're not in a good place right now on many fights (except Tortos ... yey!).
Nosis, GM of Neolutum, always recruiting

Postby Yriss » Fri May 10, 2013 8:42 am

i don't see major errors in your last log, just one, a rake after your SR pre-pull faded, and before you refreshed it. Without this mistake, your SR should be ok (uptime and refresh with enough combo point), rake is ok too, rip a bit low but you switched on crimson fogs, not so easy to keep rip up
If you remove dks and warlocks (2 broken classes, specially warlocks), your not so low in your raid ^^
Check your reforge, i'm sure you could improve it with your rune

(grrr don't think tortos is always a good fight for feral ... in our raid we don't aoe bats :( full kitting and "passive" *cough dks* aoe)

Postby feralminded » Fri May 10, 2013 8:52 am

Yriss wrote:(grrr don't think tortos is always a good fight for feral ... in our raid we don't aoe bats :( full kitting and "passive" *cough dks* aoe)
hehe, sorry to hear that. We just kill everything, only strategy that ever works for us, and its the only fight this tier I get to top the meters.
Nosis, GM of Neolutum, always recruiting

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri May 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Yriss wrote:(grrr don't think tortos is always a good fight for feral ... in our raid we don't aoe bats :( full kitting and "passive" *cough dks* aoe)

We kite and I do VERY well on Tortos. I never leave the boss, and never target the bats. I just wait for a Rune proc to happen while the bats are near and hit Thrash. By the time there are 30 bats up, a single Thrash will do crazy damage buffed or not.
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-0bv6tg8bzczrotb6/sum/damageDone/?s=722&e=1137#Tinderhoof.

Next

Return to Kitty DPS