Register

Horridon

Site Admin

Horridon

Postby Alaron » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:44 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics, monk tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Horridon encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Honored

Re: Horridon

Postby Helistar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:05 am

Any suggestion on how to actually get a decent DPS on this fight while being useful for the raid (= respecting target priorities)? We managed to get it down yesterday, but me not sucking at DPS is just because of phase 2 (5?), during all the million-of-adds target-switching phases my DPS was abysmal.....

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:51 am

I was tanking this one first time we did it but I'd say try grabbing HotW for the big add piles (you'll likely going to be able to cast it twice during the fight) and then just alternate interupts and zerk+aoe. The final phase on the boss should probably net you a last zerk where you can pot up

Honored

Postby Vami » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:10 am

In 25-man mode I just Swipe+Thrash -aoed them. Occasional Rake. I don't know how many adds spawn in 10man but I'd imagine keeping Rakes and Thrash up on them would be nice. I don't think there's much use trying to do max dps on the priority target as feral, cause (at least in my guild) they went down so fast that the dps loss would've been huge. You should, of course, try to rake the priority target and keep it targeted while swipe+thrash etc.

I used DoC for this fight. Actually, I've used DoC for every fight so far, pretty much in the previous tier also. The hurricane dps isn't _that_ much better (+I don't own a caster weapon) and you'll be able to keep more powerful bleeds up on the boss, thrash with doc is nice, etc.

Honored

Postby adianar » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm in the same boat Helistar. We haven't gotten past the 4th part of P1 and I'm sucking pretty hard. Are ya'll 2 or 3 healing it? We don't have a monk, which I read is invaluable for the group poison cleanse. We are running a druid and a pally healer. Tried adding a holy priest, but he can't move and cast, so we had to bench him. Seems door's 2 and 3 are the tricky part. Are ya'll running with Feline Swiftness? Wild Charge? Is there a reason to go to Mass Entaglement or Faerie Swarm? Does Disorienting Roar interrupt the casting of poisons or stuns?

Adi

Honored

Postby Helistar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:04 am

25-man, and we're 3-tanking it (so one less DPS). But we have a monk, which is a big help for the second door. I use wild charge: I decided that if my dps must suck, at least it'll suck on the right target, and charge allows me to get to the dinomancer fast.
I would never take mass entanglement, as you risk rooting the mobs inside the sand/poison/crap and thus be unable to melee it. I didn't think about disorienting roar, not sure it would work as most of the mobs are stun/interrupt-immune, but worth testing.

Honored

Postby ellorien » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:39 am

The adds are sadly immune to Disorienting Roar. Haven't tried Typhooning them yet to interrupt, as it seems like it would be more annoying than helpful.

Honored

Postby RareBeast » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:13 pm

We got 10 man last night. The poison door is never an issue for us as the volley is interruptible. We put a DPS on interrupt duty on each and then you basically only get volleys from the effusions - 3-4 stacks is the most we get as a rule.

Our big trouble was the 3rd door. Our disease dispellers were a disc priest, ret pally & prot pally. We were dieing to disease over and over. Then we switched to a few of us AoE'ing for the 3rd door (HotW Hurricane FTW). The disease is cast by one of the minor adds on this door, not the big one so with them dieing quickly the disease is under control which allows the healers to concentrate on the effects of the mortal strike from the big adds.

At the end of the day, the fight strat will probably change depending on which dispellers you have for which doors and so you will have to adapt (perhaps even week to week).

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:59 am

Overall we arent as terrible as I thought on horridon HC. Just dont play DoC. After an almost kill tries, I am between 150-160k.

Honored

Postby Vami » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:12 am

Sorcerer wrote:Overall we arent as terrible as I thought on horridon HC. Just dont play DoC. After an almost kill tries, I am between 150-160k.

Got any specific tips for the fight? Our guild is going to try the boss (25HC) this evening so I'll post something about it afterwards, too, if I happen to notice anything worth mentioning.

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:12 am

Are you suggesting using HotW for the stat increase? Most of my dps (25man normal) came from the last two burn phases and the DoC'd rakes I've been putting on the boss throughout the fight (soul swap). The rest went into minor aoe (thrash + swipe or thrash + rake) and tried to hit the biggest group of mobs possible for zerk + swipe on 2nd and 3rd door (a low number of mobs won't live long enough for mangle+rake+rip multidotting).

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 am

http://www.twitch.tv/sorcereria/b/377422684 (late tries, almost killed, p1 tactic change helped the dps tremendously)
http://www.twitch.tv/sorcereria/b/377409106 [Our raid starts around 2-3h mark, earlier I was watching private stream :P] (early tries DoC, than swap to HOTW at some point +)

Gonna start raid and stream around 16:00 CET. Maybe later if we lack people. I do realize linking twitch is a bit retarded but right now, it is best I can give. Taking power nap, food, shower and raid soon. Full time job and 8-9h raids on top of that sux :P

Honored

Postby kaiadam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:09 pm

Full time job and 8-9h raids on top of that sux

No kidding.

Anyway, I'd recommend HoTW too. You should be able to get it off twice, once on third gate and once right before fight ends. It's useful as hotw is around 120% of non-berserk kitty dps, which is like 150k now? for ferals on heroic horridon. It also makes you take a helluva lot less damage from the ice spheres on that gate too, it's such a bitch.

Your first kill is likely going to run up against enrage with significant chunks of your raid dead against that utterly ridiculous aoe (540k physical damage baseline to everyone in the raid? ugh) and hotw tranq will definitely help for that too.

As a side note, I honestly don't get why people go doc for progression. Yes, it might be a tiny bit more damage if you happen to play very, very well (I'm also of the opinion that fewer than 5 people in the world qualify for this). On the other hand, feral druids are already seriously low on the utility side, there's just no incentive to bring one if all they do is damage and more damage (and it's not even that great vs the other dps on this fight - our spriest that didn't die ended up with 270k).

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm not sure I would use HotW at the start of the fight (personally on 10 man). I want to save it so I have it up for the War-God since there is a really good chance I'll have the little pink rhino chasing me around on 10 : ( That can be a major pain as a melee to keep on a target 100% to make sure it gets down, so I've been using HotW then and just tossing some moonfires as needed (and will end up tranqing when the war-god's yell + horridon's aoe comes within a short time of each other). I could probably get better at it with some more practice, but we were only to the last phase with everyone alive ~2-3 times yesterday before we started clearing normal.

Also made a focus FF macro and focus Moonfire macro, rofl.

Final edit: I guess HotW would be up for War God if used at the start. I'm bad at remembering how long a fight is apparently.
Last edited by Dysheki on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:19 pm

I have kind of a love hate relationship with HotW. There is no denying it's power during progression (on some fights). It has been critical for some of my guilds first kills. Blade Lord, Wind Lord, Tsulong. I really enjoy that it is strong for some fights progression wise, and meh on others. This gives choice which was kinda the goal. What I dislike is it wraps untility up with a cooldown and pretty much makes it an either or thing. If the fight calls for an extra tranq my healers are unable to provide its awesome. If it's not planned for, it's annoying to have an an ability I hold "just in case" for the whole fight and end up never using it. I can't use it to DPS becaue we "might" need tranq.

Now my progress through heroics is totally different from your experience. My guild pushes progression, but is hardly at Midwinters level (our Sha kill was Wednesday before 5.2). There are some encounters early we hit that we are at a gear disadvantage which a tranq might make the difference. But by the time we are killing the hard fights we are much less taxed on unavoidable burst damage as you guys are (you know being months behind and all). Tranq won't save people being bad at an avoidable mechanic. Our Vizir kills proved that a few to many times.

As for utility I have contributed to more kills by Symbiosis, Stampeding Roar, SI + Glyph, and Bear/Ursol's Might then I have with HotW Tranq. While I am hardly the best in the world at this, I find that I am able to make DoC work for me during progression on some fights better then HotW. This shouldn't mean I think your way of doing things is wrong. Your level of success using only HotW is clear. I just find I can make it work for me a different way.

Honored

Postby RareBeast » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Yeah, it depends a lot on your raid group. The "lead" healer in my group is well aware of the power of my tranq and builds it in to the heal CD rotation that seemed to be required for a lot of the fights in T14. Not every fight requires it though, so sometimes it is used on AoE or saved for an emergency tranq - I haven't had a decent enough weapon to even consider wrath spam.....

Postby schams » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:04 pm

Hmm its weird to "safe" the hotw tranq only beacause the healser may want it. They must plan without it (what if you decied to play with DoC?). The normal cat tranq / shadow tranq is not that strong , and there are many other abilitys
that are more powerfull (vampiric touch / Ancestral Guidance / or just an aura mastery).
I haven't played the heroic fight yes(next raid is sunday) . But i think i will play it with doc for more constant cleave / single target damage.

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:03 am

Actually, on 25man HoTW Tranq is (almost) completly useless.

Bestial Cry (10sec CD) and Dire call (60sec) line up once during p2 during add and the time between them is still quite big 3sec+.
On 25man healers should blow healing CDs on this, and considering that those healing CDs will be useless once the add is dead due to dire call need to be mitigated, not healed through in order to survive.
On 10man the situation might be different considering that you might actually not have any free healing CDs available beside you but 25man will be likely to have.

I feel like P2 once add is down for 25man as long as you have CDs sorted it is a(lmost) free kill.

Postby solitha » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:36 am

Quick question: What kind of DPS should I be expecting to see up to the third door on 10N? I'm trying to figure out if I'm performing sub-par on the fight or not. All the DPS estimates I see are for the full fight, which doesn't really do me any good because of the buff in the later phase.

Postby Vaults » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:37 pm

I’m having some dps issues on the adds on 25m hc and I’m trying to figure out a way to increase the damage on them. Currently when Rune proc I use Thrash and Rake on main target (we mark mob with scull as a priority). Is it really worth it to apply Rip? Sometimes adds die really fast or just using Rip at 1-2 CP maybe? Spamming Hurricane is really nice (been doing in always on normal) but on heroic one of the tanks need to kite the adds especially because of the dangerous stuff on the ground which could easy kill people and it’s hard to keep Hurricane spamming. I’m open for any advice which could increase my damage done on the adds.

Thanks in advance!

Honored

Postby Ekthelion » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:00 am

This fight is somehow similar to Tortos, where you can Thrash/Swipe adds having boss as a main target to get the CPs and Rake'n'Rip him. On last hc I was able to pull out 300k with Gao 517 equipped (no rune or 4t15). This however require the tank to keep the adds close to the boss (close enough because Horridon has quite a big hitbox).
Da Vuhdo iz wid'ya mon!

Postby Ardezar » Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Anyone have anything clever when getting focused by the dino on heroic? Using FF on CD inevitably leads to the dino gaining ground slowly, then do you have to shift out and MF spam?

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Wed May 08, 2013 5:05 pm

You can shift out of form and hit moonfire a few times. It's not a great long lasting solution but it can help you get a good start as soon as it spawns. I know Edgy had some success with just kiting it around the boss, and using FF on cooldown. As long as you are avoiding the Double Swipe it should work out well for you. Just keep an eye on your health and save NS/Cookie to keep yourself topped if you can't make it back to the raid stack for Dire Call.

Honored

Postby Vami » Fri May 10, 2013 3:56 am

Running around the boss gets you a bit dizzy, but I've mostly gone with that. :) Stacking for Dire Call is, of course, important.

Honored

Postby Ekthelion » Wed May 15, 2013 7:26 am

Hmm it seems my knowledge about the encounter is a little outdated - so is it possible to be targeted by this add while being a melee class?
Da Vuhdo iz wid'ya mon!

Next

Return to Boss Archives