Register

Tortos

Site Admin

Tortos

Postby Alaron » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 pm

This topic is for discussing Feral DPS tactics, monk tactics and/or general raid strategies for the Tortos encounter.

Please feel free to post tips, tricks, videos or ask questions. I will do my best to keep the top post updated with information as it arrives.

When discussing, please mention raid size (10/25) and difficulty (normal/heroic).

Re: Tortos

Postby Vaporgriffin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 pm

I'm curious about whether we'll be stuck attacking from the front on this boss, or if there's a way for us to get "behind" him. I saw some videos where hunter pets appeared to be able to run inside the boss a little bit, so would we just do the same thing? Would it make sense to take Feral Charge for this one to make it easier to jump behind him for the burn sections?

Honored

Postby Sorcerer » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:52 pm

You can attack from the side. Doesnt matter though mangle was heavily buffed back than and uptime on boss will be very low :P

Postby feralminded » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:54 pm

I'm actually making my feral druid be the kicker since they're the fastest person in the raid. If I weren't raid leading I'd be doing it myself but since I am and I have another kitty it's gonna be his job. Seems like a perfect job for us on this fight.
Nosis, GM of Neolutum, always recruiting

Postby Vaporgriffin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 pm

feralminded wrote:I'm actually making my feral druid be the kicker since they're the fastest person in the raid. If I weren't raid leading I'd be doing it myself but since I am and I have another kitty it's gonna be his job. Seems like a perfect job for us on this fight.

I'm not sure I agree about kicking being a perfect job for us... it's not really a case of having to get to the turtle quickly, but just making sure that you're there at the right time. Any ranged is able to position themselves near a turtle and keep dpsing/healing with minimal loss of damage until they need to kick. Having a melee run all the way out to the turtle (unless it dies in the tank/melee area) is a big waste of the damage that melee could be doing.

We kept all our melee on the boss and bats full time except for the very first wave of turtles, just to ensure that we had one ready for the first Furious Stone Breath. We alternated from one side to the other when Quake Stomp was cast to avoid the falling stalactites, cleaved the bats down and focussed the boss the rest of the time while letting the ranged kill and kick turtles.

As a note for the kicking, if you kick the turtle through the pack of bats, they all get the 25% damage taken debuff and helps clear them up really fast.

Postby feralminded » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:40 am

Vaporgriffin wrote:
feralminded wrote:I'm actually making my feral druid be the kicker since they're the fastest person in the raid. If I weren't raid leading I'd be doing it myself but since I am and I have another kitty it's gonna be his job. Seems like a perfect job for us on this fight.

I'm not sure I agree about kicking being a perfect job for us... it's not really a case of having to get to the turtle quickly, but just making sure that you're there at the right time. Any ranged is able to position themselves near a turtle and keep dpsing/healing with minimal loss of damage until they need to kick. Having a melee run all the way out to the turtle (unless it dies in the tank/melee area) is a big waste of the damage that melee could be doing.

We kept all our melee on the boss and bats full time except for the very first wave of turtles, just to ensure that we had one ready for the first Furious Stone Breath. We alternated from one side to the other when Quake Stomp was cast to avoid the falling stalactites, cleaved the bats down and focussed the boss the rest of the time while letting the ranged kill and kick turtles.

As a note for the kicking, if you kick the turtle through the pack of bats, they all get the 25% damage taken debuff and helps clear them up really fast.

This turned out to be true. I tried to do it for about 7-8 pulls but eventually conceded the job to a hunter and went ahead and AoE'd like a good kitty. Thrash and swipe brought the fight home though I think I can probably get some mileage out of hurricane next time. I still don't have a swap weapon but even so hurricane is too op and you get 2 uses in this fight.
Nosis, GM of Neolutum, always recruiting

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:54 am

feralminded wrote:
Vaporgriffin wrote:

This turned out to be true. I tried to do it for about 7-8 pulls but eventually conceded the job to a hunter and went ahead and AoE'd like a good kitty. Thrash and swipe brought the fight home though I think I can probably get some mileage out of hurricane next time. I still don't have a swap weapon but even so hurricane is too op and you get 2 uses in this fight.

I tried HotW hurricane on this and it just doesn't seem appealing. There's going to be about 6-7 aoe timings and you'll have hotw only up for one. If the bats are in cleave range of the boss you'll also miss out on combo points on him so your rip will most likely drop. I admit I spent a lot of time chasing down turtles cause our ranged dps department is a bit weak, but as a rule of thumb try to focus on aoeing bats and keeping your bleeds up on the boss. Would've probably ranked much higher if I hadn't lost dps time due to turts.

Pro tip: Ursol's Vortex while not dragging, DOES slow the turts while they roll over it and it's up every time they spawn. Helps a lot to control them.

Postby schams » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:20 pm

Hmmm boring fight (heroic) just stand at the side (we take the right side). Do your normal stuff , use FF macro for crystall stack. (You can loose the stack in the rockfall phase several times , make sure if this happens you only do auto attacks on the crystall [if you have CP's on the boss]). Save berserk for the bats and keep the boss in target. Save the 2 DoC's for trash and swipe. Keep dots up on the boss. Use Barksin on the stomp.

Honored

Postby Vami » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:54 pm

Yeah the fight itself isn't that special (25HC) but what makes it nice is how much dps you can pull there as a feral. Awesome for Thrash and Swipe on the adds + Rip and Rake on the boss. I just love dpsing that kind of bosses. /laugh @ranged who are dancing with the turtles. Megaera (25HC again) is another awesome (a bit similar) fight for ferals.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 am

You can save yourself (at least in 10s) from having to get the crystal debuff again using your barkskin or SI before a stomp (assuming it's powered up). So I go with the SI glyph to make sure it's available more often. Not a huge deal since you could just focus FF the crystal; just less annoying.

Honored

Postby Grenache » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Whilst still keeping bleeds up on boss, is it still best for AoE to Thrash then Swipe a few times and then Bear Swipe and back to cat again? That's what I practise on the target dummies. Or is it limited to the bat life..I.e if they die in 15 secs its not worth the bear swipe?

Postby henrikw92 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 am

Am I the only one here with aggro problem on this boss on 25 hc? We finally got a decent raid team together and started progress on this fight yesterday.

We decided to kite the bats around, wich seemed to work pretty good, but I died from aggro on the boss on a lot of pulls, and there isn't very much I can do different with my opener when I have RoR and
have to get a DoC buffed rip up asap. I could delay berserk with 30 sec. but I don't get why I suddenly should have problems with aggro on this boss, never overaggroed it on normal and I rarely have any problems with aggro on any of the other bosses. Eventually had to get salvation from a paladin on pull.

I usually don't play DoC either, but since my tranq wasn't needed here, and I'd have problems getting a full cast off after stomp anyways, so I went for the extra dps.

Would be nice if someone could take a look at the logs to see if I'm doing something wrong, could be doing something different, or if it's actually the tanks fault. (Usually our dk tanks tortos and our warrior takes the bats on normal, they decided to swap for hc because of the kiting)

Here are the logs from yesterday: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wvtx5p5d8s470vg4/

Revered

Postby Alpheus » Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 am

henrikw92 wrote:Am I the only one here with aggro problem on this boss on 25 hc? We finally got a decent raid team together and started progress on this fight yesterday.

We decided to kite the bats around, wich seemed to work pretty good, but I died from aggro on the boss on a lot of pulls, and there isn't very much I can do different with my opener when I have RoR and
have to get a DoC buffed rip up asap. I could delay berserk with 30 sec. but I don't get why I suddenly should have problems with aggro on this boss, never overaggroed it on normal and I rarely have any problems with aggro on any of the other bosses. Eventually had to get salvation from a paladin on pull.

I usually don't play DoC either, but since my tranq wasn't needed here, and I'd have problems getting a full cast off after stomp anyways, so I went for the extra dps.

Would be nice if someone could take a look at the logs to see if I'm doing something wrong, could be doing something different, or if it's actually the tanks fault. (Usually our dk tanks tortos and our warrior takes the bats on normal, they decided to swap for hc because of the kiting)

Here are the logs from yesterday: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-wvtx5p5d8s470vg4/

You'll get aggro from untagged bats if you're too close and howling blast will continue to fail to tag it back to the tank unless you go onto the bat pile. This strategy is very risky to begin with - your guild has quite high dps, just kill the bats.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu May 23, 2013 1:47 pm

I see several instances of your MT Rayde dying and you getting eaten shortly after. Ferals have always had very high threat even if our damage doesn't match, so you are going to get facially consumed first when he goes down:

Try 4 - This case it looks like he either lost his shield or he refreshed it with lower health and got aggro on some bats.
[21:27:54.581] Rayde Drain the Weak Vampiric Cave Bat +103843 (O: 647807)
[21:27:54.581] Rayde Drain the Weak Vampiric Cave Bat +103843 (O: 829757)
[21:27:54.581] Rayde Drain the Weak Vampiric Cave Bat +121858 (O: 862092)
[21:27:54.581] Rayde Drain the Weak Vampiric Cave Bat +109608 (O: 769542)
[21:27:54.581] Rayde Drain the Weak Vampiric Cave Bat +98079 (O: 677121)
[21:27:54.957] Rayde dies
[21:27:55.278] Tortos hits Henkìì 560145 (O: 28385)
[21:27:57.067] Tortos Snapping Bite Henkìì 133614 (O: 698969) (more)

Try 5 - Died to Snapping Bite
[21:34:53.686] Rayde Shield Slam Tortos 249681
[21:34:54.223] Serketh Rejuvenation Rayde +25440
[21:34:54.445] Tortos Snapping Bite Rayde 394936 (O: 34320, A: 3978, B: 185672)
[21:34:54.445] Rayde dies
[21:35:02.115] Tortos hits Henkìì 319409 (O: 263180)
[21:35:02.471] Henkìì Leader of the Pack Henkìì +21097
[21:35:02.956] Henkìì Rip Tortos *307975*
[21:35:02.956] Henkìì dies

Try 7 - I think Rayde ranged the boss here avoiding turtle shells/rock fall (he died to Rock fall 2 seconds after you got eaten).

Try 13-14 - Rayde died shortly before you did.

Guessing this is a tank failure and not so much a threat fail.

You'll get aggro from untagged bats if you're too close and howling blast will continue to fail to tag it back to the tank unless you go onto the bat pile. This strategy is very risky to begin with - your guild has quite high dps, just kill the bats.

He is right he is getting killed by the boss not bats.

Postby henrikw92 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:20 pm

Thanks for the replies, good to know it's not me over aggroing.

And yeah, I did not have any problems with bat aggro, but I agree with the kiting beeing a bit sketchy. Had to turn off nameplates and make sure I didn't turn too much around to look around the room towards the end or I'd get 10 fps, and at the end of our best tries (30-35%) we ended up wiping because of the kiting tank dying either because he messed up or because of a lack off slows.

Where did you find the logs for my excact deaths btw? Not that used to browsing logs, and I couldn't find it. Would like to check out the rest of the tries, to check if the other deaths happened directly after the tank too.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm

I didn't really look at pull times under a minute, and I didn't post the pulls where every one died because a shell wasn't kicked. If you select the pull you want to look at and open the drop down "Dashboard" there is a Deaths Overview selection. That will give you a summary of all the deaths that pull and in the order that they happened. You click on more to see the last 10 or so seconds of said persons death. Death logs are also found on the Deaths tap on the details page for every specific person in the raid.

Postby henrikw92 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Ok, thanks a lot!

Will take a look and check the rest of my deaths to be sure.

Return to Boss Archives