Register

(Mis)adventures in raid soloing

This and that.

(Mis)adventures in raid soloing

Postby Fate » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:21 pm

I've been seeing what I can solo in the way of old raid content, recently, and thought I'd share with the world.

My main setup is DPS feral, and I've a 356-average gear set (including Malevolence and UW). I've got duplicates of every piece I could easily duplicate (i.e. no raid drops) set up for bear, and since I'm running balanced crit and haste, have mostly reforged crit on the cat gear that my bear set uses. Target dummy DPS is about 14.3k, no consumables or external buffs, if that gives you an idea how competent I am.

(The bear set's just lying around to let me get quick heroics, really... I was fed up with not being much use as an emergency tank, and got some practice in.)

I swapped the Shred glyph for Mangle after doing Kara, running Rip and Berserk in the other slots. Major glyphs remain FC, Rebirth, Maul, and I never saw need to change them.

Respecced a couple of times, trying this - started as a Catbear spec that lacks Predatory Strikes, which worked for Kara, but ended up in a spec with all the self-heal, stampede, all the mitigation (except spell damage taken, although I'd have that if I could), but missing Blood in the Water, Skull Bash.

Results so far, working through BC raids in no particular order:

Kara: Killed the lot. Chess event was the only real issue - soloing it, you pretty much need to keep a space to move your king into when his square gets set on fire, and get a bit lucky with the RNG in terms of where the enemy king stands. The ideal piece to control yourself is the queen, but expect to change pieces a lot.

Gruul's Lair: Bounced off Maulgar, hard. The fear spam is a complete killer. Can't see any plausible way to do this, except possibly a shadow resist gearset. (Tried Boomkin. Also bounced off).

Magtheridon: Got him down eventually. The trouble is taking out the initial 5 channellers, fast enough, despite their heals. Eventually settled on doing this almost entirely in cat. Kill the first channeller with opening burst, before the others really arrive, then use Berserk to take out the next two in between their heals. Use of Predatory Strikes (I was generally popping both HT and Rejuve every 10 seconds or so) and rotating cooldowns should keep you high enough in health to stay cat while you wear the last two down. (Fewer heals, so less DPS needed... which is good, as you're out of cooldowns). At which point, you have some infernals on you, and the boss is just activating. Go bear, run a full Frenzied Regeneration, and last until the infernals go away, at which point, you might as well go cat to get it finished quicker. Ignore the cubes, eat the blast nova damage, and expect to keep using Predatory Strikes, but not be pushing your limit. Something weird happens at 40% or so, but I think it's just damage. Pretty easy once the last channeler dies, really. Clear the instance before you pull. Drops 500 gold, by the way.

Tempest Keep: Al'akir down. Cat the whole time, and tended to drag each spawn along to the next balcony, killing it as I went, then pop up a HoT or two to counter his flame buffets. Cat charge up to the platforms works. Second phase was much less running, but a bit more self-heal intensive. Never really felt in danger. Rocket boots malfunction launched me high, first try, and forced a reset, so watch for that.
Void Reaver down. Pure numbers fight. With consumables, my bear spec was taking little enough damage to keep up with Frenzied Regen on cooldown. Has a 10 minute berserk timer, which I just hit, once, but more application to DPS helped. A traditional bear spec would have done better, due to the almost permanent silence (keep kiting backwards, and you'll be out of it occasionally - I managed to stack Faerie Fire, and get about 50% Demoralising Roar uptime).
Solarian trash, I couldn't get past - the mind control kept resetting packs.
KT... didn't try many times, but I doubt I could get phase 3 down - the mage is really quite disruptive, and they put out quite a lot of damage between them. You'd want Skull Bash for this one (kill the healing mace...)

Black Temple: First boss is doing more damage than I can sustain taking, even once I get his adds down. Will try again with the 4.1 SD change.

Zul'aman: Down. Died when I got trash in with the bosses. Zul'jin was hardest: Mostly cat, but bear for bear phase. Eagle phase was a real pest, but a combination of casterform HoT spamming, and FC through the whirlwind got me through it, and after that, it was well within self-heal capabilities in cat form.

Not tried SSC and SWP yet. I hold out some small hope for the easiest Wrath bosses, too.

Honored

Re: (Mis)adventures in raid soloing

Postby felhoof » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Tempest Keep: Al'akir down.
Wow, now THAT's some kiting. I didn't know you could kite from Uldum to Outlands! Did you take the boat from Ratchet or did you go through CoT to the Black Morass portal and go that way?

:p

Postby Fate » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:32 am

Engineering teleporter malfunction. Turned my enemy into a giant flaming chicken.

Honored

Postby Arctagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:26 pm

I find soloing raid content to be quite interesting, so I will follow this thread. I recently started going through all dungeons and TBC heroics which I did not have achievement for yet, and that alone was fun. If I should find any good strategies, I will definitely share here.

Postby Fate » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:20 pm

Hit some classic content yesterday:

MC was easy enough. Majordomo was an all-cooldowns swipe fest, and the final boss knockback pretty much trivialised by feral charge.

AQ20 down, the wasp boss I did in Balance spec, because landing 150k ranged damage in cat would have been slow and tedious (you can reset the poison stacks by LoSing out of the gate of his area, though, so I could do it if I had to). Brute-forced the last boss, and that needed a couple of cooldowns.

BWL: Can't get Razorgore down solo. He can't get all the adds by himself, and while I *can*, he's then also causing me trouble.

AQ40: Don't expect to be able to solo Twin Emps, so I didn't try yet.

SSC: Hydross was hitting for something like 12k on bear, so I reckon he'll need a frost res set. Will probably try with 2-3 pieces of the Wrath era FR gear, and a resistance elixir, and I expect I can get him. Best try: 50% (cat works better than bear, since the damage is elemental... extra heal helps).

Honored

Postby Arctagon » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:23 pm

I also did Molten Core yesterday/today. I had some trouble with Golemagg, until I realised Bear Form was faceroll. I barely took any damage then, even with 20 stacks of Magma Splash. Also, as you said, Majordomo Executus is easy enough when you blow TF + Beserk and spam Swipe.

I tended to not have FC off cd on Ragnaros whenever he knocked me back, but it was easy to avoid fall damage nonetheless since I faced him so I would get knocked back into some pillar-resembling structure and just fall into the lava.

I'm currently doing AQ20 (for some reason the flag dropping down from the zone name above the minimap says it's 10-man), which should be easy.

Regarding Blackwing Lair, the first boss is not soloable, simply due to its design. It was hard even when duoing it because of a number of bugs, but I heard it's fixed now. The second boss would also be wise to take with at least two people, due to the mechanics. Unless you have insane DPS you will die before the boss does. The rest of the raid should be doable solo.

Postby Fate » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:01 am

AQ40: Skeram down (muddled through this. Not sure whether I should have been hitting the clones or not). Sartura down (didn't realise it was a boss until afterwards). Fankriss, one wipe to chain stuns, then something else came up...

From here on: Duoing with my partner's enhancement shaman (average ilevel: 333 - she's not really geared this toon yet):

Maulgar: Down. My goodness that was a pain. We ended up getting it with an all-cooldowns burn: priest -> warlock -> mage -> shaman -> boss. Wolves and earth elemental seemed to be a big help keeping the worst of the horror off us. I did it in full cat spec/gear. Lots of cross-healing, but we still ended up bresing her on the kill, (she died about the same time the mage went down).
Gruul: Easy one-shot. Should be able to solo in cat.

TK: KT doesn't seem to be 2-mannable with that combination. Phase 3 had too much CC and damage applied to us.

SSC:
Hydross down. We did this without reading up, so we didn't know about the form-switch mechanic, and just burned him down. Having now read up: Oops. Will have another go at soloing this later.
Lurker, down first try. Dodge right as he breathes in, and FC between the platforms to kill adds. Expect I could solo this, intend to try.
Leotheras, down first try. Chaos Blast meant damage got pretty hairy towards the end. Be interesting to try soloing this. Might well want a resistance elixir.
Karathress. Couple of tries, but we bounced off.
Vashj. Only one try. Phase 1 survivable, but heavy damage. Suspect probably borderline soloable. Phase 2 was chaos, but I guess it might be possible for a melee and a dot class to muddle through. Mechanics make it non-soloable, of course.

I then tried some Wrath stuff solo, and bounced off. Will give Archavon a shot next time we have WG.

So... I need to hit up SSC again after the reset, but if I can reliably get 3 bosses there, and Maggy, down... that's a weekly quest that rewards 1300 gold, and takes maybe an hour. Win.

Honored

Postby Arctagon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:59 am

I also gave The Eye a try a few weeks ago with a mage I know, but we couldn't manage to get Kael'thas down. I think going bear would help tremendously, but I haven't had the chance to try yet. Not sure if it's soloable even then, but with a class that can heal on your back, like your partner, it should be doable, especially considering DKs can solo this.

The amount of time I get to play nowadays is scarce due to school (mock exams coming up), but I think I will get some time this weekend, so I will see how much content I will be able to get down then.

Do you think you are capable of downing Archavon in kitty gear and spec as of now? I'm quite far away from WotLK raid content, since I want to do Vanilla and TBC first. Nonetheless, we definitely should see vastly better soloing capabilites with patch 4.1 and the changes coming up for bear.

Honored

Postby Goodmongo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 pm

KT pretty much requires 4 people to do. The reason is his mind controll. he can MC up to 3 people and if everyone is MC'd it resets. The last phase is super easy and 1 decent DPS can solo it but getting there is the real pain.

Postby Fate » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Let's see... WoWiki: Archavon needs 7,600 DPS to beat the enrage. No problem. Should be able to top 10k, even hitting him from the front and dropping to caster to heal every so often. I wonder if I could beat that in bear. Seems borderline plausible, if Vengence stacks don't drop in the grab. Damage pattern is perfect for SD as-is.

It's really just a question of how much damage he puts out, and whether the grab mechanic is an issue, I think. Should be able to sustain 3k HPS or so, but I don't know how much damage he'll do versus cat.

I'll reserve judgement, but I'm actually doing better soloing in cat, right now, using bear just for high-damage phases. The extra self-heal from Predatory Strikes is worth more than the bearform damage reduction. As such, 4.1 doesn't stand to offer me much. (Bear Berserk is more of a game-changer than cat, though - except for crazy burn like Maggy's adds.)

I should think about tanking trinkets, really. Currently running UW and EotC (normal) for everything. (No Tia's+). Mirror of Broken Images seems awesome in theory, but limited actual use for soloing. Might be interesting in PvP, though.

Postby vita » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 am

Tried Archavon some time ago, not soloable because at grab time it resets or tp you out of the Vault (don't remember).

Postby Fate » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:45 am

Shucks.

Sarth is the obvious other one to try soloing, but her trash is bad enough, so far. Might have to keep working on that.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:54 am

Fate, good stuff. I did a lot of this, back in the day. Kara at 80 was a blast; challenging, but doable with good strategy. The Big Bad Wolf was the best (worst?): see this post. Other than that, Prince was the only one I needed to come back later with better gear to do (did most of it with ilvl 200).

Now, ZA at 80, I could never get through. Came back and tried in 85 blues, and finally got Nalorakk down, but couldn't put out the DPS to kill Malacrass in time. Could probably do it now that's I've got raid gear.

Postby vita » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 am

Looking for new ideas to solo :

Down recently 4.2 :

cata stuff
- throne of the tides nm clean
- Blackrock caverns nm clean include the dog
- lost city : husam only
- vortex nm : 2/3

Wotlk stuff
- occulus nm (finished landing him in bear tanking , drake dead), hard fun.
- ulduar 10 : leviathan only
- naxx 10 : 4/15 (noth, heigan, loatheb, gothic)

bc stuff
- magtheridon clean
- ssc 5/6
- eye tempest : 3/4
Last edited by vita on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Postby Alaron » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:37 pm

I've been playing around with soloing lately as well, though so far I've only done the 5/6 SSC and 3/4 TK. Put a night's worth of attempts into KT solo, but Capernian is just too fiddly/frustrating to kill consistently as feral. I can elaborate if people are interested. (BTW, DK AMS is OP for soloing...and I'm leveling a DK to take advantage. :P)

Return to General Discussion