Register

I miss Shred

Face-rippin fun.

I miss Shred

Postby CalliatTN » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 am

Hello Fellow Ferals!

Lately i've really started to miss using Shred as our main CP generator. The added edge of always be aware of your positioning for that litle extra dmg. Yes, it was kinda frustrating at times, on bosses spinning more than a prime time ballerina, but on your average only-slightly-moving boss, i really liked the mechanic. In pandaland, we have such an overflow of energy, especially during berserk, so it's actually more usefull for us now, not to have to worry about positioning than ever before.

I still miss it. A lot. Anyone else feel like this?

~Calliat~

Re: I miss Shred

Postby óak » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:38 am

Hmm..

I keep seeing this subject popping up all over the place, but I'm yet to see any evidence to suggest that we should be using mangle in place of shred. When did this change and can you point me in the right direction?

Exalted

Postby Konungr » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:03 pm

óak wrote:Hmm..

I keep seeing this subject popping up all over the place, but I'm yet to see any evidence to suggest that we should be using mangle in place of shred. When did this change and can you point me in the right direction?

Shred does 20% more damage on bleeding targets, Mangle has a 12.5% cheaper Energy cost. The lowered energy cost allows you to build combo points faster and therefore use more finishers faster, give you more energy and damage faster.

Exalted

Postby Tinderhoof » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Also because Shred and Mangle make up less then 10% of our total damage (when you have rune) 20% of 10% is a rather small difference.

Revered

Postby Dysheki » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Meh. If anything I think shred is a benefit that most classes don't have. Sometimes you might be on the side of a boss and think you're behind it but (boom) can't shred so you know you need to move back. Other classes have a lot of guess work trying to figure out where they are or waiting for that dodge/parry to pop up to know for sure.

Otherwise, for me, the shred/mangle debate has mostly been a shrugfest.

Revered

Postby ShmooDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:34 pm

I don't miss shred at all (in fact the times I need to use it, ie berserk) are annoying, especially on some fights. Depending on the fight I'll often forgo it completely in favor of mangle. Given how low our energy penalty is for a parry (8 energy?) I actually (for me) do better with mangle than trying to shred, not being able to and energy capping. Sure on simple fights it doesn't matter as much, but there are a lot of fights that bosses randomly turn around to cast shit or adds that move around a lot (like horridon).

Postby Treeba » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:16 pm

Mostly for the sake of keybind space I'm really hoping they do away with one or the other in 6.0. I have no preference which goes and which stays. Or at the very least combine them.

Postby stiggler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 pm

Mangle works really well to make sure I got enough combo points to use Rune procs quickly, as mentioned by many in these forums. I use shred when behind the boss and beserking mostly which I find myself energy capped most of the time, not a huge amount of damage added at the end of a fight but puts me ahead of a couple of other dps in the guild:) I do think Shred will disappear in the near future with Blizzards plan to reduce all specs to a few face rolls to get high damage, but for the time being its another ability I feel if used correctly can add a few more numbers to our damage and I think makes you a bit better of a player to weave it in a out of your other abilities with a successful outcome. And yeah when the boss turns and you don't realise it, damn I want to.... grrrrrrr.

Stiggler

Revered

Postby ShmooDude » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:24 am

Tinderhoof wrote:Also because Shred and Mangle make up less then 10% of our total damage (when you have rune) 20% of 10% is a rather small difference.

And that doesn't even count the damage per energy factor. 14.3% increase of 10% makes it a 1.4% increase in DPS (not counting extra combo points) which while there, is hardly noticeable. Far and away from the 5% it used to be.

Postby Qualiti » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:26 am

Dysheki wrote:Otherwise, for me, the shred/mangle debate has mostly been a shrugfest.

This.

Postby CalliatTN » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:00 pm

I see the point from Blizzard's pov of removing Shred and its mechanic, it allows for more varied and difficult boss mechanics. They can't keep 1 dps spec tied to half a boss, without putting some sort of restraint on themselves as to how much said boss gets to bounce around trying to kill us. The removal of Shred seem to be comming, and i think we can expect more spinning bosses, just like there has been a lot of them so far in MoP.

Return to Kitty DPS